Experience with "Meet & Greet"?

jocelysue

Am looking into setting up a "Meet & Greet" for the CC members on our roll call. Would greatly appreciate receiving info and input into how one goes about it.

Can one reasonably expect to receive help from someone on the ship6 If so, who? Should the organiser choose the venue or is it left up to the staff,s discretion?

Is there a charge for this service? Are refreshments served free of charge or must the pax pay for them? Is there a best time and place, for example, the first or second day out? Are name tags suggested?

In other words, would certainly like to receive the complete skinny: things to do, things to avoid...

Do you feel that a M&G adds to the enjoyment of the cruise? Does it foster a certain amount of camaraderie?

Am looking forward to your insight. I realise that answers may vary according to experience. Does one cruise line favour such meetings whereas another line is totally indifferent? Does it depend on the ship's officers or Cruise director? Is it different from ship to ship in the same line?

Does the length of the cruise matter inasmuch as there may be a distinction between a 7 day cruise and a 20+ day one?Pitfalls to avoid?

TIA

It will depend very much on which cruise line you sail with. Some are very into the M&M experience, some are not. On NCL we were given cookies and coffee and a meeting room. On HAL we were given much more, plus the Captain, Hotel Director, and some other officers came by. It will also depend on how large your party is. Traditional time to do it is 11am on the first sea day or something along those lines. I just heard that that's when many officer's have their "meeting," so it's actually a bad time to have it! Try to stay away from anything on embarkation night- too crazy.

There are different phone numbers and email addresses for each line- post this question on that board and people will give it to you.

I see you're on HAL, which is a line I haven't been on yet. I hear they do a better job than many lines, but just because some have had officers show up at their meeting doesn't mean that happens on all their ships, or even same ship different voyage. If you will ask this question on the HAL board, there should be many willing to help you find out who and how to contact them on setting up your meeting.

However, I think it's very smart for at least the CD and ACD to show up and listen and take notes. CC people are very well-informed and passionate about cruising and we learn a lot about it from each other. We are also very good at spreading the word, good and bad. So I think when a ships' personnel participate, it's very smart on their part.

We've done a couple of M&Gs on Princess, so all my experience is based with that line. Before the cruise, you need to contact the CD or ACD of the ship and decide upon a venue. Either Princess will have someone available to take drink requests, since you are usually set up in a lounge, and provide bar munchies. Never have had a CD or ACD show up or have it listed in the Patters, but I understand that some CDs are more participatory than others.

Charlie

We've done a couple of M&Gs on Princess, so all my experience is based with that line. Before the cruise, you need to contact the CD or ACD of the ship and decide upon a venue. Either Princess will have someone available to take drink requests, since you are usually set up in a lounge, and provide bar munchies. Never have had a CD or ACD show up or have it listed in the Patters, but I understand that some CDs are more participatory than others.

Charlie

When we were on the Grand Princess and the CD was Neil Chandler, he and his assistant showed up (it was also in the Patters) and took notes, literally. He also had a book for all the CCers to sign with their screen names and real ones and our cabin numbers. I think he was very smart, but it was a "him" thing and not a Princess thing.

Name tags are a good idea. it helps you put a name with a face. I always try to get one going on my cruises, especially if its 7 days or longer is even better. You see them during the cruise and its just nice to be able to say Hi and maybe share experiences or plan a tour together.

We have always found that the people who want a M&M are friendly, outgoing and fun to be with. I haven't been on HAL yet, but Celebrity, RCI, give a nice party and our Princess cruise in October they gave us the disco/lounge and had bar service with bartenders and free snacks. Most ships today are very willing to help you out. they know how this web site is a great way to make friends!

Also try to have a set time and place before you cruise then you can post all the information on the roll call board. I usually make a list of names and update it as people sign up on the roll call. Then just copy and paste and add the new names.

On a longer cruise you might want to also have 1 or 2 more get togethers, we met for a luncheon on a sea day and also had 2 "tea parties" during teat time in the afternoon. Good luck and just go with the flow, it will all fall into place.

Hi,

I have experienced M&M on our Med Cruise sept 2006 with RCCL.

It was a nice experience.

I think it depend of the people on your thread. Some are very organised and friendly. We we a big group on the thread. Many has post-cruise in Barcelona so we had a dinner in a restaurant in Barcelone first. Then we had the M&M arranged with RCCL on board. We had the discotheque for maybe 2 hours with no alcoolic beverage and some little fancy things to eat.

But most of all, it was to meet any of them everywhere in France, Greece or anywhere, there was somebody you knew. That was great. Like you had friends everywhere you where.

So, if your group is nice in your thread, you'll have a very great time in your M&M and all along the cruise.

Have a nice cruise,

Charlot

We will be on Costa Mediterranea 1/19. How do you contact someone before you arrive on the ship for your m&m? I tried customer service hoping for an email address...no luck. We have chosen a lounge to meet. I was hoping to get some complimentary hors d'oeuvres.

Thanks, Betty

The only meet & greet I have been to was on the Royal Princess last November. We had it at sailaway from the embarkation port (Venice). There were 25 or 30 of us. It was informal. We had planned to meet on the pool deck. but with the weather bad, we shifted to the backup site in rhe Royal Lounge.

It was a great way to meet the rest of our group. About half of us had gone out to dinner the night before and had spent several nights in the same hotel. This made it easier for us to remember the new people.

I can only speak of RCCL M&M - but the two I have been on so far were great. Both were held day 2 (both sea days) of the cruise in the Viking Crown lounge in the afternoon. RCCL provided nibblies and one free drink. After that we had to purchase drinks - but there was waitstaff to deliver drinks to the table. We all received great small gifts - and the CD staff led us in a couple of games to win prizes - one was a RCCL computer mouse and mouse pad.

It was great to put faces to names.

Archived