recommend a Saigon/Ho Chi Minh guide please

AdventureSeeker

Hello...can anyone suggest a tour guide for Saigon? I'm docking at Vung Tua, and I want a guide that can pick me up from the port and drive me around town while I do some shopping and browsing in the art galleries.

oh, and if there's someone I should avoid, that would be helpful too!

Hello...can anyone suggest a tour guide for Saigon? I'm docking at Vung Tua, and I want a guide that can pick me up from the port and drive me around town while I do some shopping and browsing in the art galleries.

If all you are interested in is shopping and art galleries, take the ship transfer to the Rex hotel. Inside at reception is a shopping guide. The concierge will also call a taxi for you. The majority of people in the Rex speak English, so you can tell the concierge/front desk what you need.

About 3 blocks to the west of the Rex is the huge Ben Thanh market. One block West of the Rex (walk out the front door from the restaurant), turn right, turn right again at the first street and keep walking north about a block to some of the most amazing basket and wicker shops in SE Asia. The lacquer ware in Saigon is not as good as the lacquer in the North or in Hoi Ann or Hue.

Almost all the art galleries are in District 1 (the main touristy district and where the Rex is). Easy walking/taxi to most of them. Ask the concierge at the Rex for help-every gallery has at least one English speaker.

http://vietnam.wowasis.com/hcmcvibe/galleries01.php

We booked our tour from Vung Tau to HCMC with Thi Hoang, Smile Tours. Service was good, van was clean, and Thi booked us into a theatrical water puppet show - normally only open at night - when Princess booked up all the seats at the National Museum show. We did the Reunification palace, the Rex Hotel, the market, the post office and cathedral, and were back at the ship in plenty of time.

Archived