Westin hotel Fort Lauderdale

cycle

Staying at this hotel pre- cruise on 19th Jan 08 - could anyone advise if this hotel is near any shopping areas or malls so we could do some shopping pre cruise. Also any reviews on the hotel itself. Many thanks for any replies.:)

We stayed there a couple of years ago. I don't recall there being any shopping areas nearby. We wanted to shop a bit, so we wound up renting a car for a day. They came right to the hotel with the car so we didn't have to take a taxi to pick it up or drop it off.

Hotel is just fine. The place you want for your shopping needs is Sawgrass Mills Mall, which is at least 20 minutes away. A rental car is really your best bet, but understand it may be tough for you. You really should post on the Florida Departures board for more help with the Sawgrass.

There is a small strip center just on other side of highway at corner of Cypress Creek Rd and N. Andrews Ave., but not sure what stores are there. Wal-Mart is at Powerline and Atlantic Blvd, just 5 minutes away.

There are two Westins in Ft Lauderdale. One is right off the freeway, on Corporate Drive. I know that one very well as my sister and I had to stay there for nearly a month after mom broke her hip on Millennium and had surgery at a FLL hosptial. If it's that one, there's nothing nearby. You'd need a car for everything as this is primarily a business hotel with not many amenities. The hotel is nice, but there's nothing within walking distance. On the other side of the freeway there's a mall of sorts, with restaurants and other strip mall things and a large movie theater.

The other Westin is the Westin Diplomat. That's a luxury hotel right on the ocean. We're staying there this weekend, before our Constallation cruise on Monday. The Diplomat is in an area of other hotels and beachfront condos and I don't remember any malls within walking distance of that hotel. For both, you'll need a car or you need to take a taxi.

The nicest mall is the Galleria on 2414 East Sunrise. It has all your basic stores and also some very upscale stores. Another mall is the Sawgrass Mills, on 12801 Sunrise. A really fun area is the Las Olas Riverfront, on SW 1st Avenue. Lots of restaurants and bars with some boutique shops.

Staying at this hotel pre- cruise on 19th Jan 08 - could anyone advise if this hotel is near any shopping areas or malls so we could do some shopping pre cruise. Also any reviews on the hotel itself. Many thanks for any replies.:)

I was wondering the same..I was hoping to go shopping or something but looking at the replies, its not all that convenient:(

we also stayed at the Diplomat and were less than impressed. We were there only 1 month after opening so perhaps it has improved. But......we were a bit shocked when we entered the room and everything appeared to be ok - however when we turned down the bed it was very apparent that the bed had been slept in and never had maid service (apparently the previous guest just decided to pull up the spread when checking out) with used towels put into the bathtub. When I called down to the front desk they said they would send someone from housekeeping up immediately. We decided to just sit outside on the balcony - 45 min later and still no service. This time they suggested we might want to visit the bar or restaurant until they could get someone to service that room. So, while the location of the room was great (full ocean front) I just said please move us now to a clean room in any area of the hotel. Long story short it took over 3 hrs for us to finally get into a clean room and get some sleep. If I am spending that kind of money I will spend it on the Marriott Harbor Beach, just a much nicer hotel in all respects.

PS If you do happen to wander into their bar watch out for the $19 Martini's. Good, but not that good.

If you want great shopping and good food try the Riverside Hotel. Right on Las Olas Blvd. with lots of shops and great places to eat.[/quot

I always wanted to try this hotel, and yes, it is a great location. Within walking distance to everything. How are the rooms? I seem to recall reading that if you stay here you should request a room in their new wing. Any info would be appreciated.

Archived