Beaches

ortho_rn63

I know this topic has been posted but I only seem to find either no replies or minimal replies. I am going to be in Antigua in March and just want to have a beach day. I would prefer it be somewhere to snorkle and enjoy the water as well as the sand. I would also like somewhere that isn't the typical tourist/watersport loaded beach; just something relaxing and a little more quiet.

Also, If anyone has any ideas on how long it takes to get to their beaches of recommendation as well as the taxi cost, I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, has anyone done the local bus?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Hi Kim,

This might get lengthy, but hopefully it will give you some helpful information.

My husband and I spent a day in Antigua last March. It was our first cruise, so I researched and researched beaches til I was blue in the face. I had finally decided we'd spend our day at Dickenson, just because it was close to the cruise port and I was tired of trying to decide.

When we got off the ship, I went directly to where taxis were waiting. There was a taxi coordinator who was asking people where they wanted to go and directing them to the right van. I told her Dickenson, and she had us sit and wait for others that wanted to go to Dickenson. Two minutes later she started directing us to a van, and then said Jolly Beach was the destination, argued that it was better than Dickenson. We decided to go because I'd researched that one and it had been one of our choices.

Once we got on the van and got a few miles away from the cruise terminal, our driver, (who was very entertaining and informative) told us that he wanted us to take his word for it and go to Darkwood Beach. I'd also researched this one and knew it was farther. I think his family ran the little food hut there, and he would also make a little more money on the cab fare. At this point, all of us on the van didn't really care where we were going so we took his word for it.

Darkwood Beach was amazing and exactly what we were looking for. This was March, and there were no more than 30 people on that beach. There were two girls that brought snorkeling gear and had fun snorkeling in a calm area down the way. The water was electric blue, like neon, I've been to Mexico and other Caribbean locations and have never seen water like that. I'll post a picture that has not been doctored up and you'll see what I mean! We got there fairly early in the morning, so the surf was so calm for a few hours. It never really got rough - I don't swim if the waves are too big, and I was in the water all day.

The hut serves a minimal menu. We had cheeseburgers and they were good. My husband loved that he could buy $2.00 Antiguan beer, a breath of fresh air after the high priced cruise ship drinks.

There were a few palapas with chairs in them. I can't remember, but I think we might have paid $5 dollars for the palapa with two chairs. It was a good move because there really isn't a whole lot of shade otherwise, unless you sit inside the food hut. There weren't many though, and we were lucky to get one.

The drive was about 25-30 minutes, but it went fast because Elvis (our driver) was very entertaining. There is a lot to look at on the way, and he pointed out schools, neighborhoods, etc. I think our total cab fare was $8 per person, per way. So $32 total. We talked to other people that said they paid the same fare to go to Jolly Beach - Jolly Beach has a resort there, so you can buy a bracelet and do the all inclusive thing for the day. But there are more people obviously, where Darkwood felt more like a deserted island beach.

Of all the places we've been, this was our absolute favorite place. We watch our video often to feel like we're there. :)

So all in all, we never intended to end up at Darkwood, but we're so glad we did! Be sure to take an official taxi. Another couple on our cruise ship took an unofficial taxi and they were pulled over on the way to the beach, and had to go to the local jail while their driver was arrested. It took the police an hour to get another driver there to take them where they were going.

I'll post some pics....have fun and reply if you have any questions!

Jill

Cruisinjello,

Thank you so much for your info and the pics:D !!. I have been researching Darkwood Beach and it has been one of my choices. Sounds like it is absolutely wonderful.

Any other tidbits of info to share would be great!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

I too am cruising to Antigua in March and have been researching beaches there. I am leaning towards Dickenson Bay because we received a DVD from the Sandal's Resort, Antigua and it is located along Dickenson Bay and looks absolutely beautiful. It is close to the pier also.

Darkwood Beach looks beautiful. Loved your pics! :)

I too am cruising to Antigua in March and have been researching beaches there. I am leaning towards Dickenson Bay because we received a DVD from the Sandal's Resort, Antigua and it is located along Dickenson Bay and looks absolutely beautiful. It is close to the pier also.

Darkwood Beach looks beautiful. Loved your pics! :)

Dickenson Bay, is not as beautiful as people have said, imo. Don't get me wrong, its a really nice beach, but I've seen better. Like cruisinjello, I researched and researched until I was blue in the face. Dickenson was not my first choice (long story) but made the best of it anyway. The beach is not wide and gets pretty busy, however the water is calm and warm and the sand nice and white. perfect to just lounge around. There's watersports, restaurants, you name it...its there and its close to the ship. Darkwood will be the next beach we go to in Antigua. Looks absolutely stunning!

sunsurf, thanks for you opinion of Dickenson Bay. I do appreciate reading comments from someone that has been there. I do not plan on doing an excursion to any beach through RC, so we can still decide on another beach. Darkwood does look really beautiful. I would love to find a place I could take some photos that didn't have a million people in them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hands down the best beach in Antigua is Rondevous Beach and is

down in Fallmouth Harbor and is best to get thereby horseback from

Spring Hills Stables. Beautiful non populated beach and can ride horses

right into the ocean.

Taxi ride for 2 was $32 each way and if you ride horses 50 to 100 for a

1 hour or 2 hour ride.

The ride to the beach has alot of kodak moments for pics and once

you get to the beach its awesome.

If any one needs contact info for Spring Hills contact me.

ccawalleye

Darkwood you say was on your drive to the Jolly Harbour area. I have a map of Antigua, and looking around the Jolly Harbour area, I can't seem to find out where Darkwood is located.......Help?

Darkwood is a little further south of Jolly. Maybe 5 - 10 mins.

Darkwood sounds/looks just like what we want. Not a lot of noise, etc. from jetskis, too many people,etc.

I, too, am inquiring about IF there are bathroom facilities close by..???? Would definitely buy something to eat at a small cafe to be able to use their bathroom!

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

• 2 weeks later...
Darkwood sounds/looks just like what we want. Not a lot of noise, etc. from jetskis, too many people,etc.

I, too, am inquiring about IF there are bathroom facilities close by..???? Would definitely buy something to eat at a small cafe to be able to use their bathroom!

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

At the south end of the beach is a small cafe with bathroom facilities at the very south end. There were about 50 people there on a Monday afternoon. Beach is a little less than half a mile, wider and more crowded close to the restaurant. Good sand, light waves. Big green amphitheater of hills backs it up inland.

went to darkwood last yr. public bus $1.50pp drops you off on the beach, , road is real close to the beach, only thing i didn't like about it. but it was beautiful clean beach.not many people , maybe 10 .or anyone sellin stuff, 1 girl making jewery, and some one to give a message. will take the bus again this yr. but not sure where to .thinkin maybe turners beach. we ended up takin a catamoran back, he pulled up, we asked for a ride and he just wanted a tip..... we even had rum punch with them, highlight of our cruise....:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just back from the Emerald and in Antigua we took a cab for $ 8.00 each to Darkwood and arranged with the cab driver when to pick us up.

We arrived at 9:00 A.M. and had the entire beach to ourselves. By noon there was about a dozen people on the beach, and this is a long beach, so if you want to get away from the crowds this is the beach.

The sand is soft and none of our group had water shoes and didn't see the need for them.

The shack where they drop you off offers chairs for rent for $ 5.00 and have a variety of food and drink available.

The snorkelling was not the greatest but we brought some boxed cereal from the ship and were surrounded by fish in a matter of minutes.

I would highly recommend Darkwood beach.

We just back from the Emerald and in Antigua we took a cab for $ 8.00 each to Darkwood and arranged with the cab driver when to pick us up.

We arrived at 9:00 A.M. and had the entire beach to ourselves. By noon there was about a dozen people on the beach, and this is a long beach, so if you want to get away from the crowds this is the beach.

The sand is soft and none of our group had water shoes and didn't see the need for them.

The shack where they drop you off offers chairs for rent for $ 5.00 and have a variety of food and drink available.

The snorkelling was not the greatest but we brought some boxed cereal from the ship and were surrounded by fish in a matter of minutes.

I would highly recommend Darkwood beach.

Do the chairs also have umbrellas?? my DH is gonna need the shade...LOL!!

Thanks in advance.

Kim

I tried to find a website that gave more info and maybe some pictures of these beaches but had no luck. I did find an Antigua website but when looking at Runaway beach and Dickenson's the site seems to jut change the names and all the information is pretty much the same for both. While Darkwood looks very nice I'd prefer to go somewhere closer to the pier. Does anyone have pictures of either of these beaches? Any information as to which is the better of the two beaches and why? The crowd factor won't bother me and I actually prefer a more lively beach. Thanks for any input. :)

Archived