Panam-Embera Village Tour

vixter

Hi

I've moved to Panama and on one of the Yahoo message boards I saw this post which I've copied & pasted part of here and also the woman who wrote this post, her website of travel into an Embera Village.

We do have small caimans, but they stay down in the lake and I have never seen one up river and the Embera' tell me they are afraid of people and they always have kids swimming and playing in the river and they never worry about the caimans. It is very safe, the cruise ships take boatloads of tourists up there for day tours. I even saw one lady who went in a wheel chair and had a blast as one of the Embera' teenage boys took it upon himself to be her "driver" and make sure she got around everywhere. She raved about how great he was and what a special experience she had. So come visit and I guarantee it will be safe and you will go home with a smile, a very unforgettable experience, your heart touched and maybe a basket, tagua or wood carving.

Anne

Anne website is http://www.emberavillagetours.com

I am not in a chair but thought I would share this as I do have issues with a lot of walking. I think I can handle this & am planning to email Anne to find out for sure. We are waiting for a few visitors from the states before my husband & I go. This seems like something fun to take our visitors to do as well.

Enjoy, Vicki

I've just written to Anne Gordon telling her about my posting here of her website. (I know it's like closing the barn door after the horses are out:o)

I thought everyone here would like to read her reply to me.........

Thank you so much for spreading the word about my tours. I really appreciate it. It was very kind and thoughtful of you. You can do the tour easily. The jungle walk is short and on a very well groomed trail and the guide is always willing to lend a supportive hand if you need it. A year and a half ago I got very sick with viral encephalitis and ended up in a coma and when I woke up 4 days later I was a quadriplegic. I regained a little bit of movement and strength every day until fully recovered, but it took several months to be able to walk without a walker or cane. When I could walk, but had not regained all my strength or balance and going down stairs for me was tough, I went out to the village to visit all my friends and family there and I got around fine. If I was unsteady or unsure of my steps, especially going down to the river to bathe, there was always someone there helping me to get down the stairs to the beach. Even if someone is not up to the jungle walk, there is still plenty to see and experience in the village and the jungle walk is not mandatory.

The gal with the wheelchair who went to the village was such a great sport and had a great, adventurous spirit. I really admired her and was impressed and inspired by her. Anyone with that kind of attitude will have a great trip to the village. The "driver" who helped her, does deserve a medal, and you are right, no where to pin it :~) He is a great example of the warmth and friendliness of the Embera' people. I am so proud and blessed to be so welcomed into their tribe and family.

I have no qualms about sharing my story if it will help others to overcome and take part in adventures. I am happy to hear this group has positive attitudes and adventurous spirits. They are living the "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" philosophy. My hat is off to them.

Bia bua (Thank you in Embera')

Anne

I too enjoy reading about adventures that folks have. I do as much as I'm able to do now and if I eventually end up in a chair I will still do as much asI am able.

I know I can't wait to visit the Warm & welcoming Embera' people.

www.emberavillagetours.com

BTW.......Here is a little something I found about Anne on the internet:

Anne Gordon, a studio trainer for over 20 years, is a national trainer for HollywoodPaws, and one of the original pioneers in the animal actor industry. Ms. Gordon has worked as a studio trainer for over 24 television movies and 55 major motion pictures, with dogs, cats, wolves, deer, horses, and rabbits. She has a B.A. in Biology and minor psychology/animal behavior from Western Washington University, and began her career as a zookeeper. A native of the Pacific Northwest, she currently resides in Panama.

Have Scooter Will Travel!:D

Vicki

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Embera Tourist!

I need your help!

For my final university project (bachelor dissertation) I write about tourism to the Embera Indians in Panama. If you have been on a tour to the Embera Indians in Panama or if you know any tourists or people that have participated in tours to the Indigenous Embera Village, please be so kind and support my final university project by clicking on the following link that provides a short questionnaire for tourists that have been at the Embera or pass the link on to people you know that have been there.

Should you have any problems with opening the links, please get in touch with me: endres.melanie@gmail.com

Thank you so much for your support!

Here is the link:

http://www.eSurveysPro.com/Survey.aspx?id=f67905af-a3b3-49a4-9e88-3625b142a5df

Melanie Endres

Archived