Motion Sickness and Water excursions

skatie

My son and I have a tendency to get motion sick - most of the time we're ok on the large ships, but we want to do the Stingray Sandbar excursion and am wondering if others with motion sickness have done this and if the boats that you go out in are relatively stable and are there times of the year when seas are calmer than others - we'll be there at end of Feb and are hoping to go to Sandbar with Nativeways or Capt Marvins. Also how long does it take to get to Sandbar on the boats? Thanks

My son and I have a tendency to get motion sick - most of the time we're ok on the large ships, but we want to do the Stingray Sandbar excursion and am wondering if others with motion sickness have done this and if the boats that you go out in are relatively stable and are there times of the year when seas are calmer than others - we'll be there at end of Feb and are hoping to go to Sandbar with Nativeways or Capt Marvins. Also how long does it take to get to Sandbar on the boats? Thanks

If you have any tendency towards motion sickness, I would take something prior to getting on the boat. It may be a smooth trip and you won't have any problems, but why take the chance? I am also fine on the big ship but put me on a smaller boat and I turn green. The trip out to stingray city is long enough for you to have problems (about 1/2 hour?). I now take Bonine and I don't have any problems, even when seas are choppy.

Can't speak for the stingray trip but DH has motion sickness, but does fine on the ship. We went parasailing in Coz last year and he was sick, sick, sick by the time we returned to shore. It was only about a 1 hour trip and he had taken dramamine or something similar. Good luck

I'd also recommend taking something before hand for motion sickness. We did the stingray tour in March 2007 and seas were a little choppy. My DH has some trouble with motion sickness and I also do when things get rough. I believe we both took Bonine, and although we were both fine, you could really feel the smaller boat moving when anchored at the sandbar and particularly when we anchored at the reef. We both stayed in the water as long as possible as it was very noticable when on board. Once the boat starts travelling, it seems to smooth out a bot and is not as noticable. It is a relatively long trip to the sandbar- about 30 mins.

We went with Moby Dick which was very good and would recommend. Others on our ship went with Nativeway and also had a great time, although one of their party did sucumb to the choppy water. I'm not sure if certain times of year are worse than others, but I suspect it is the luck of the draw. Springtime is known for windy weather, so that can contribute to the seas. We just completed a 5 day cruise over Christmas and had smooth seas the whole time, but the following week, over New Years was apparantly quite different. Seas around GC and Jamaica were quite rough, from what I've read on CC and from my neice who was working on a Princess panama canal cruise.

Cruisepucks

PS

Also from the GTA

Archived