Charms for the Gem-It Mermaid

Maryfrei

I have been thinking about a charm for the Gem-It Mermaid. I love this idea of Coka's and would like to present one on behalf of our 2/16 roll call.

It would be great to know what charms the Mermaid already has so we can try to find something new. I wonder if we can get a kind of "perpetual list" going to keep track of what the Mermaid is wearing?

Each time a charm is added we can update our list. This mantle will undoubtedly be carried forward by Friends of Coka here and about and it will be fun to keep track of what's happening with the Mermaid. Coka, does she have a name? Would you please start the list?

Thanks!:)

I to would like to add a charm during my cruise. It sounds like it would be a great tradition. Are you talking of the charms thye put on braclets? Do you hang then on the mermaid?s neck? Can't wait to hear the poop on this. I always love something different!

Lowtyd

Hi Everyone! Wow, looks like you are going to have an awesome cruise! You will need the StarDust theater for a cruisecritic gathering!

When I was at the Gem christening sailing, I brought Capt. Hilden a "mascot" for the bridge guys...a gem-it mermaid and a tower of charms that I started. I told the Captain that I was going to put the word out to future cruisers in case they wanted to bring a meaningful charm to add to the mermaid's 'good luck' tower. Some of the curent charms include an anchor, a seashell, a sun, an apple, a seahorse, a cross, a star, a peace symbol, a yin-yang, etc...

I hope some are interested in adding to the tower. If you bring a charm to the mermaid, she will bring you good luck in return!

On a side note, I am curious if they did anything with the present!

Have a great cruise, the Gem is a unique ship with a great crew!

Coka

Coka gave a gift to the Gem during its Christening Celebration. Please see the quote as to what the current charms are on the "good luck tower". I thought its a cool idea and I plan to bring a charm when I sail on the Gem on 2/6/08.

Any charm that fits on a necklace or on a bracelet will work. The charm tower has all sorts of places to hang a charm. If it does not hang, then you can drop the charm in the top tower basket. The tower is basically three wire baskets connected together. I put about 18 charms on it and I only covered one area...Let's see if I remember what I put on it:

A christian cross

A Jewish star

A peace symbol

A yin yang symbol

A Sun

A Star

A sea shell

A little gemstone

A seahorse

An apple

A pear

An orange

A strawberry

A lighthouse

A starfish is used for a hairclip for Gem-it mermaid

An anchor/rope is in one hand

The world (actually looks like a marble) is in the other hand

On her tail she has three little dolphins attached to three little blue balls with the words 'best,' 'friends,' and 'forever'

Oh, on the tower also is a heart and arrow with a leopard background.

Each charm should have a link attached...meaning you can put it on a necklace or put it on a rope or put it onto something...that is how you put it on the tower. If not , then just put it in the basket.

If Captain Hilden is on the ship, then he is the one I gave it to. If he is not on the ship, then you are going to have to go meet yourself some officers and find out! hahahah

coka

For the Gem 2/16/08 our roll call going to bring a Statue of Liberty charm. The statue is one of the big thrills for almost everyone sailing out of New York, and the charm has a "Gem" in her torch!

FYI, hostmama graciously agreed to put a sticky on the Gem Roll Call board so we can keep track of the charms everyone brings for the Gem It Mermaid!

Thanks hostmama!:)

That is cool! Thanks Mary and Hostmama! I also wonder her whereabouts! She could be sitting at the end of some bar...hahaha

coka

You're welcome Coka! Thank you for your inspiration and for beginning a new tradition that we all can enjoy!:)

If the mermaid doesn't surface before our voyage, we will certainly find her. But I suspect we'll hear/see something soon!

I will be on the 2/6/08 sailing of the Gem. Coka, I know you said the mermaid is holding a world that is made of marble. I would like to add a world charm to the tower that is made of gemstones (agate, blue lapiz, jasper, etc.) with a map that has North and South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Oceania on it. It's less than an inch in diameter. I will also take a picture of the mermaid and the tower so everyone can see her at her new home.

I will be on the 2/6/08 sailing of the Gem. Coka, I know you said the mermaid is holding a world that is made of marble. I would like to add a world charm to the tower that is made of gemstones (agate, blue lapiz, jasper, etc.) with a map that has North and South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Oceania on it. It's less than an inch in diameter. I will also take a picture of the mermaid and the tower so everyone can see her at her new home.

That sounds beautiful cruitenn, I will be looking for it on 2/16. If you get a minute update the sticky on the Gem Roll Call board!:)

Is the mermaid where you can find her out in the open? She looks great in the photos! I will try to come up with something to represent our April Cruise. I don't have a large Roll Call so It may be a family thing (maybe a Claddah or another Irish symbol to represent "The Connolly" family) I am looking forward to meeting Ms. Mermaid (Does she have a name?)

Sure, you can post it on the thread! She is decorated a bit more and is prettier in person. Hmmm, a name. I have a name for her, but I would like to find out if there is a nickname I can use instead. Will get back to you!

Coka