New Orleans transport from airport

code_d

We are on the fantasy Jan 12 out of New Orleans. Can any one give the best and possibly cheapest way to get to the port from the airport??We figured it would be cheaper than the $100 carnival wanted to charge both ways, or am I better on the carnival way. I have heard that a taxi is only $20. Any to avoid? First time to the BIg Easy.:o

We took a cab to and from the port, it was right around 20 bucks and we put 4 people in it. I always prefer a Taxi even if costs a couple of extra bucks since you don't have to wait for others to fill it up or make multiple stops like a shuttle.

I used the airport shuttle when I cruised out of New Orleans. Its 13 dollars a person one way. There is a desk right next to the baggage claim where you buy the tickets. Really easy. You travel in a coach bus so you do have to wait for it to fill up before you leave. But what sold me for traveling this way was there was a sort of tour director on the bus. While your traveling someone is pointing out spots of New Orleans and talking about the city's history. I really liked that because I had never been to New Orleans before. And you can also buy the round trip ticket back to the airport when you initially buy the tickets. There are plenty of buses waiting outside of the cruise terminal after debarkation so you don't have to worry about getting off the ship quickly. We were one of the last people off the ship and there were still plenty of buses.

I was on the Fantasy for NYE and the airport to port taxi was $28 for 2 people. The taxi service has it posted on the taxi. It is more for more people. Plus they charge extra if you have golf clubs, etc.

Did you get the informaition from Carnival about their shuttle? Is it 100.00 round trip and for how many people? We are going with a few people, and this is kind of stressing me out. It seems like none of the hotels in the area offer free shuttles, unless you stay in a hotel near the airport. Sounds like a taxi for a large group is really expensive.....I wonder if going with Carnival would be best for us??? Any info would be appreciated. Did any of you look into taking a limo?

I believe Carnival charges $22 pp each way.

No matter the size of the taxi, they are limited to 5 passengers.

The Airport shuttle is now $15 for 1 person ($13 + $2 gas surcharge)

Depending on the size of the group, I might contact the Airport Shuttle people to get a rate for an exclusive van or larger.

http://www.airportshuttleneworleans.com/index.html

or you might contact these folks:

http://www.machupicchutours.com/Transportation.htm

Another option is to contact Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise and see how much they want for one way rentals from the airport to downtown. Call the particular offices downtown to make sure they will shuttle you to the pier or you will be stuck with cab fare anyway.

does anyone know a good store fore the airport to the pier to pick up

cokes and other beverages?

I do not know the name of this store but as we were leaving Thursday just up from the port at the start of the shops there was a store that had drinks, adult beverages. luggage and other things advertised on their outside sign. I think it is in the shops called the RiverWalk.

I believe Carnival charges $22 pp each way.

No matter the size of the taxi, they are limited to 5 passengers.

The Airport shuttle is now $15 for 1 person ($13 + $2 gas surcharge)

Depending on the size of the group, I might contact the Airport Shuttle people to get a rate for an exclusive van or larger.

http://www.airportshuttleneworleans.com/index.html

or you might contact these folks:

http://www.machupicchutours.com/Transportation.htm

Another option is to contact Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise and see how much they want for one way rentals from the airport to downtown. Call the particular offices downtown to make sure they will shuttle you to the pier or you will be stuck with cab fare anyway.

I noticed that if you have more than 2 people their is a cost pp above the $28 we paid. I do not remember how much. It was a few dollars more person. Maybe $3 -$5.

does anyone know a good store fore the airport to the pier to pick up

cokes and other beverages?

If you are taking a taxi from the airport to the port, ask him to stop at the Winn Dixie on Williams. It is right off of Airline Drive (the airport is on Airline Drive) and he can jump on Earhart or onto I-10 quickly from there. You can run in and get what you need and be in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in NOLA!

If you are taking a taxi from the airport to the port, ask him to stop at the Winn Dixie on Williams. It is right off of Airline Drive (the airport is on Airline Drive) and he can jump on Earhart or onto I-10 quickly from there. You can run in and get what you need and be in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in NOLA!

Thanks so much for the info!!

Archived