Question about carrying our own bags on and off

So, What is the size limit of carrying on our own bags? We have a 27" 360 degree rolling bag, a 21" of the same, a garment bag, and two carry ons. We're young and healthy with a debarking flight time of 12:55 from MIA but we're sailing from Port Everglades. Can we carry on and off or are our bags too large to do so? Thanks!:D

The 27" will be TOO big to carry on since it has to fit through the xray scanner which is the same size like at the airport and will have to be checked. The 21" is fine as well as the carry ons. All can be carried off though.

It depends on the port, but as long as you can carry all your own bags without any help, then you can carry them off the ship yourself.

As to carrying your bags ONTO the ship, your bags have to be able to fit through a scanner like at the airport. Your 27" will be too large and will have to be checked.

but you have to be able to manuever all your bags and yourselves alone and up some ramps and other challenges. Plus if you check in early you won't be able to get to your stateroom until 2 to unload dragging it around.

Usually you are able to get into your stateroom at 1PM.

Here's how it worked at Port Canaveral:

When you're LEAVING the ship, you can walk right off with your bags, BUT when you're in the terminal -- before you reach customs -- you'll either have to walk right to the escalator or wait for the elevator. You don't get to decide this yourself; the terminal has a staff person who'll direct you one way or the other.

If you have only one small bag and he believes you can carry it on the escalator, he'll let you walk right on through. If you're carrying multiple bags and are forced to wait for the elevator . . . well, you'd be faster to have your bags checked through.

So, What is the size limit of carrying on our own bags? We have a 27" 360 degree rolling bag, a 21" of the same, a garment bag, and two carry ons. We're young and healthy with a debarking flight time of 12:55 from MIA but we're sailing from Port Everglades. Can we carry on and off or are our bags too large to do so? Thanks!:D

We have only checked our bags one time, our first cruise. We have sailed from all three Florida ports and Vancoucer, and have had no problems. Our bags measure:27x20x11, 24x16x11, 21x14x9. On our 11 night Canal cruise on the Brilliance from Miami we carried the largest bag on and had no problem. Since then we have learned to pack better and haven't taken the big one again. On our 14 night Alaska cruise the wife and I each had the mid and small size plus two other items (computer bag, backpack, shoulder bag) and again no problems.

The only problem we ever had was one girl in Miami wanted us to check our bag because she said they were too big and against the rules. When we asked what rules were she couldn't tell us. Her supervisor basically told her to shut up and we headed up the escalator. We figured she was trying send business to her porter friends.

I would say that you can do it, we have done it 21 times to date. Be prepared to have to check the biggest. And, as one poster said, it can be a bit of a pain to manage all of those bags, but, as long as you know that ahead of time you should be okay. We like to be able to leave the port as early as possible, I can put in a half day at work if we sail from Canaveral.

Sorry about long answer. Good luck. Happy Sailing

Thanks for the great answers everyone! Guess I'll check the 27" and maybe take the rest. It's not a lot, really, for us to carry (I told my boyfriend I'm bringing him to carry my shoes :D ) and we have to get to the Miami airport from FLL for a 12:55 flight. So we'll check one or two to get on and carry all of ours off.

Second question - what time can we get off the ship if we carry our own and how do I arrange that. I just can't imagine they'll let me start walking down the gangway without prearranging it....

It depends on the port, but as long as you can carry all your own bags without any help, then you can carry them off the ship yourself.

Is there any limit to the number of bags you can carry off....other than your own strength and ability to carry them? We have several bags that strap together and we can manage them by ourselves, so we would like to do the express disembarkation.

Archived