Does it matter which side of the ship in Med?

My mother wants a port side cabin on a Med cruise and I don't think it makes any difference. There is better selection on the other side but someone told her she would be better on port side. Does it really matter? The ship is Brilliance.

If you would like to see the shoeline from your cabin, especially if you have a balconey, you should look at the itinerary to see how the ship will proceed along its course. If the coastline is most often on the left side then you would want a port side cabin. If the ships goes out and returns along the same route, it may not matter. Most times I book a port side cabin for this reason. Good Sailing, Murf.

In general, I prefer a port side cabin - like to have our own view of the port :)

I think she meant a port (left side of the ship) side cabin not on on the side of the ship next to the port. It's quite hard to know which side will actually be on the pier side. Unfortunately, I don't know on this one either.

The best advice (as already given) is to look at the direction the ship is going and that may help you.

We can tell yoiu from the experience of several Med cruises, it makes absolutely no difference whether port or starboard. Once the ship has left port, it does not travel close enough to land to see anything of consequence. And in the case of sailing past some islands in the Aegean, if it is on the other side of the ship, just go up to the pool deck and take a look from that side.:)

sorry to hijack your post but seeing as though this was about the med i had a quick question - Leoandhugh said that the ship doesnt sail close enough to land - are the seas rough seeing as through they are not close to shore? What are the seas generally like in the med? We are travelling on classic med cruise from Barcelona and mainly travelling to Italy...

Thanks

We did the Med cruise on the Navigator out of Southampton in June and at most of the destinations we berthed on the port side. However, due to the layout of some of the docks you could still be looking out to sea. In Barcelona we berthed port on, but you had to go to the starboard side to see the city. Also in Livorno we had to berth in the commercial docks which was really nothing to look at unless you like looking at shipping containers! IMHO it doesn't matter which side you're on, there are pro's & con's for each.

Charliegirlac - the Med was really calm, you had to check the waterline to see if you were actually moving!

sorry to hijack your post but seeing as though this was about the med i had a quick question - Leoandhugh said that the ship doesnt sail close enough to land - are the seas rough seeing as through they are not close to shore? What are the seas generally like in the med? We are travelling on classic med cruise from Barcelona and mainly travelling to Italy...

Thanks

What time of year are you sailing? We've gone twice in May and each time had one day of rain/rough seas. The rest of the time it was smooth as silk. You'll love it!

I remember the seas being a little more rough than the Caribbean but nothing really bad. If you are worries about being sea sick, just bring some Bonine along and take it as needed. I was on deck 9 of Brilliance for my cruise so we felt the waves a little more than on the lower decks.

I would try to get a cabin on whatever side of the ship passes by Stromboli. We were on starboard (right) on Brilliance Greek Isles and were got an excellent view of the volcano as we passed by. It wasn't bubbling or flowing but it was releasing huge clouds of steam.

I will second the post by "leoandhugh". The ship does not always dock with the port side facing the port. Sometimes the starboard side faces the port and sometimes the back end of the ship faces the port.

We just got back from a Med cruise. We were on the port side and it was about equal as to which side faced the port. If there is a better cabin on the starboard side, I would definitely take it.

The only sure thing is you will need starboard for sailing into Venice and port for sailing out of Venice [if you are not going to be on deck]. At a push port for sailing out of Naples to see Vesuvius...anywhere else you are too far away from land to make a difference.

Archived