Aurora - Storm damage for info.

happyhappy 68

Just returned from the New Year Cruise to Madeira & Tenerife. Enjoyed the cruise. Staff, fireworks, food as good as ever. However you may wish to know that the night of the 3rd January the ship got a heck of a battering resulting in the window in F202 being "whacked in" by the 8m+ swell.

Thankfully the occupants were dining at the time. Members of the party from the same family in adjacent rooms describe that the breach sounded as if a ward robe had fallen over. Power went out in F200 and water rushed through the cabin. Apparently when they tried to open the door it was extremely difficult (Force 11 winds).

The ship had to change course to put the port side into the lee of the swell & wind and effect repairs. Storm shutters over the all the port side windows on F deck. Before very gingerly heading towards Lisbon.

Next morning we were told that the port authorities had closed the port to vessels of draught greater than 4.5m. (Aurora's is 8.5m). We had to go straight to Southampton. The early arrival in the UK had the added advantage of allowing P&O to conduct more effective repairs than the bits of 2 by 4 & plywood braced between the window and the bathroom wall

I spoke to one of the senior officers who said he had not experienced seas like it before or been on a ship that had suffered this sort of damage. He said he had heard that this had happened on another ship. Indeed this was the view of the many experienced cruisers on board. I have seen spray go over the crows nest before but never with such power and volume

It was all terribly exciting. I will never forget the tense atmosphere as the captain briefed the passengers about the damage and what needed to be done. I was humming "abide with me" as I rushed around the ship trying to get my kids together!

I heard rumours that some of the Aft doors had been damaged by the storm and deck furniture from some balconies had also gone overboard.

On a more cheery note

The taster menu in Cafe Bordeaux is a triumph (7 courses). The portions are really too large but you are not forced to empty your plate.We attended two of the "dinner and dance" evenings and had some of the courses were some of the best food we have ever eaten. The group Caravan are absolutely excellent and should not be missed.

The recent mini refit made the ship look really good. Shame it has just taken such a beating just before the world cruise!

I spoke to one of the senior officers who said he had not experienced seas like it before or been on a ship that had suffered this sort of damage. He said he had heard that this had happened on another ship.

Indeed - another P&O ship - the ORIANA - you can read the Marine Accident Investigation report into that here:

http://www.maib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/oriana.pdf

Peter

many thanks guernsey guy:). Interesting read. Faulty window installation + weak storm cover fixings. One would expect that they would have modified aurora too in light of the findings. Interesting to note that the breach was also low amidships. I look forward to the findings in 2 years time.

• 3 months later...

ahhhh yes i was on this cruise ! was very rocky seas.. quite funny to see the tables bottles and just about anything else smashing around you that wasnt tied down ! we were all waiting for somthing like that to happen to the seas after the very calm waters from maderia to tennerife, but maybe not a force 12, hahahaha will stay in my mind forever !

Archived