bugs in belize

jeeppartsman

I think it depends on the time of year and where you go. Also I think it depends on the time of day.

We were in Belize in Dec. and visited Mayan ruins that were surrounded by forest. We had no problems. I had brought bug spray and didn't need it. Didn't notice any bugs.

I would recommend bringing along bug spray and just see how it goes. If you need it, you have it.

We cruised last week to Belize and visited the Lamanai ruins. Because of the unusually cool weather, we dressed in layers (I wore lightweight long pants, good walking shoes, t-shirt with a hoodie jacket). Bugs were never an issue, probably due to the weather (but we came prepared with bug spray just in case).

It was very chilly on the boat ride. Even if you wear shorts, you might consider taking a windbreaker or lightweight jacket with a hood. Just check the forecast from the ship (on the dailies) or at least go on deck that morning. Once I stepped out on my balcony that morning and felt the stiff, cool breeze, I decided to carry along the hoodie (glad I did, too -- covered my head the entire boat ride). If you bring a hat, make sure you secure it on the boat (I also had a Columbia hat that tied under my chin). There were people with us dressed in shorts who complained the entire time ("They should have told us how cold it was today!":rolleyes: )

Make sure you bring good walking shoes, too. The hike in the jungle is not stenuous, but the terrain is uneven with rocks, tree roots, and vines along the path. The path is well marked and easy to negotiate, but I had to pay attention to where I was walking along the way. I wouldn't recommend this tour for someone with limited mobility. Don't let the howler monkeys in the trees distract you! ;)

I really enjoyed the trip and the ruins were quite impressive. Jus pack along bug spray and your sunscreen (even though we didn't need either one that day!:p )

Archived