snorkeling/beach day

Scorpiorose

I would recommend Sapphire beach for snorkeling. The beach is very nice and the views are wonderful. There is shade availableon both sides of the beach and the snorkeling on the right side of the beach by the rocks and coral is really good. The water is shallow and had gentle surf when we were there recently. We saw many different and interesting fish.

Karysa

Can you rent snorkel gear at Sapphire? If not, can anyone recommend a beach that does? THANKS! :)

Yes, there is a watersports shack right on the beach. I don't know the rates, I always bring my own snorkel and mask- you really don't need fins here

how crowded is it, is there a beach bar nearby with decent food? AND - how would you get there on yoru own? Thanks much!!

We were there on January 2nd. There were lot's of people, but the beach or the water were not crowded. We saw many different types of fish by the rocks and coral on the right side of the beach. It was the best off shore snorkeling that we have done. I think Sapphire was my favorite of the 3 I have been to in St. Thomas. The water was clearer at Coki and the little fish swim all around you which makes the snorkeling good for children. I found Magen's Bay to be beautiful but the snorkeling was poor. Sapphire has wonderful views of St. John among other islands and we thought that the snorkeling was great. The sand was not as soft in the water as Coki or Magen's and the water was not as clear as Coki but we found it to be a great all round beach. We saw a restaurant or beach bar and they have chair rentals and washroom facilities and a shower to rinse the salt water and sand off. We took a taki to Red Hook and ate at Duffy's Love Shack which was a fun experience for our DD's. We took a taxi from the Havensight Mall area. It was $10. each to Sappire Beach.

Karysa

is sappire beach clean? I hate to go to a beach where there are butts everywhere and trash, ruins it for me. I'm kind of spoiled beach wise and have been to some pristine beaches so I always ask!

Thanks for the information all!!

It is an active beach with many people but I did not see any butts or trash. I saw and used the garbage cans provided. This is not the beach for you if you are looking for a pristine picture perfect beach though. I think it is a great beach with something for everyone. I would definitely visit it again.

Karysa

GREAT web site, lots of cruise information, ferry schedule and cruiser tips. Thanks a ton!!

Hun, you sound picky with your beach ... and i mean this in a totally understanding, noncondemning way because I am the SAME way. Get off St. Thomas. If you have the time, take the ferry to St. John. Just do it.

Or better yet, hook yourself onto a sailboat charter with others and sail over to Caneel Bay or Trunk Bay for a day excursion. It's what we did and loved it.

you are right, you are absolutely right....I'm a beach snob. I can only say....after what I've exerpienced in the world that last years mexican riv. cruise, ugh, double ugh to the beaches there. However, we didn't do a resort, out fault maybe.

I hear universally that St. Johns is the place to go. Is it crowded? How about trunk bay? Any good snorkeling at either? My beach days are too far and few between, they gotta be nice these days! :p

Google Caneel Beach Resort in St. John. We almost made it there but at the last minute changed our minds. You take the ferry from Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie and then a taxi to the resort. They allow visitors to the main beach but request that you sign in so that they know who is on their property. The beach looks gorgeous. I have heard that they don't allow you to use the chairs but there is a gift shop and a grill and a wonderful buffet for lunch as well. You can walk to Honeymoon beach from there and that one connects to Solomon Beach. There is suppose to be good snorkeling at the rocky area that connects Solomon to Honeymoon and also at Caneel Beach. We have friends that have vacationed on St. John's twice and they told us that it is a beautiful, uncrowded and peaceful beach.

I have been to Trunk Bay and it is a blissful beach as well but it tends to get crowded. I was disappointed with the snorkeling when we were there in 2005.

Karysa

you are right, you are absolutely right....I'm a beach snob. I can only say....after what I've exerpienced in the world that last years mexican riv. cruise, ugh, double ugh to the beaches there. However, we didn't do a resort, out fault maybe.

I hear universally that St. Johns is the place to go. Is it crowded? How about trunk bay? Any good snorkeling at either? My beach days are too far and few between, they gotta be nice these days! :p

We hooked onto a charter sailboat called the Nightwind from Sapphire Beach Marina which took us to 2 fantastic snorkling sites in Caneel Bay. It's a little pricey (not to me, but to some....), but it is sooooo worth it. Did 4 boat charters on our 9 island Holiday cruise and this ranked #2 (after the St. Martin Powerboat, but that was private so it really isn't fair). You can lie on the same beach on St. Johns Caneel Bay that people pay $1000 a night to lie on (can't use the chairs but so what). The snorkling is great (I'm a spazz at posting things on here but take my post name above and combine it with @ ptd.net and I will send you some of the underwater shots I took there if you want).

(BTW, I LOVE THAT NAME OF THIS BOAT - live with someone 20 years and you'll understand why! I forgot to buy a T-shirt when we got off because we were pressed for time, so I am contacting the company and getting about 10 sent to me - mostly for anniversary presents :eek: :D ;) .)

Patrick

OMG, what do you mean about the Mexican Riviera beaches??? That is my next cruise. We used to go to Zihuatanejo all the time and loved the beaches! Okay, we know Acapulco is lousy and expect that, but Cabo too? Noooo! What about Huatulco?

no no no, Cabo is the best.....it was Mazatlan and PV that I went double ugh to. And like I said, we went on a horseback riding "tour" and DH went on what can only be called a polluted water bird watching tour. I think we would have been better to go to a resort in these places.....they take better care of their beaches. We also didn't go down that far.

I'll email you about those pictures.....sounds like a great snorkel tour. See email for more ????? Thanks Rose

Archived