using purge mask

jo44

I just got a new purge mask for our upcoming cruise. How do I use it? Do you recommend me taking my regular mask that I know doesn't leak or the new purge mask. Do the benifits of the purge outweigh the chances of leaks?

I am definately am a novice!

I just got a new purge mask for our upcoming cruise. How do I use it? Do you recommend me taking my regular mask that I know doesn't leak or the new purge mask. Do the benifits of the purge outweigh the chances of leaks?

I am definately am a novice!

I dive a lot and use a purge mask. The main advantage of a purge mask is the ability to "blow out" water from your mask without lifting it from your face. Basically you raise your face so it's perpendicular to the water column, inhale, and do a quick "huff" from your nose. The added pressure between your mask and face forces any water accumulating in your mask out the purge. If your mask doesn't leak, there's no need for a purge. Since I have a mustache, I occasionally get a bit of water in my mask so the purge helps. Also if I didn't get enough defog in my mask, letting a bit of water in, swishing it around then blowing out the purge valve can clear out the fogging. I like a purge but it's definitely a personal preference.

Randall

The purge does nothing to seal your mask, it's to help clear the water out. Most snorkelers don't use a purge, they pick thier head out of the water and dump the water out. If you bought your mask from a dive shop go back and ask them if you can go to a pool session to try out your new mask. They may even let you try Scuba while you are there. If the mask fits use it, nothing better than new toys, right?

If you bring your new mask and want to use the purge, look down so the water in the mask collects over the purge valve, then place your hand on the mask. Gently exhale through your nose while holding your mask to your face and the water will drain through the valve. The most common mistake is people don't hold the mask and blow out through thier nose. The increased pressure usally pops the seal around the top of the mask and more water leaks in. The purge is a great tool, but it;s all in the technique.

Enjoy your vacation and your snorkel experience.

Archived