Accessubility Questions about Golden Princess

hugosmom

I'm hoping to find out about accessibility on Golden Princess with regard to my husband, who is blind, and his Seeing Eye dog. Our last cruise on Celebrity's Mercury was excellent in terms of accessibility for those who are blind.

We've never cruised Princess and I'm not finding much about accessibility on these boards. I appreciate anyone who can tell us about your experiences.

1. Are the buttons on the elevators Brailled? Do the elevators "talk" to announce your floor/deck?

2. Are the numbers on the stateroom doors Brailled?

3. Does Princess provide menus and other printed material in Braille or in other accessible format (tape or on disc)?

4. If you've taken a service dog, what was the relief area like?

I think those are our main questions - we're looking at Golden Princess in the spring and I've learned previous passengers often know more of the little details than customer service reps do. I will be contacting the cruise line as well, of course.

If you've been on Golden Princess I'd love any feedback - not just about disability issues. We seem to have a wide variety of choices in cabins and might be able to swing a mini-suite or even a premier suite. I don't knwo anythng about the layouts of the decks and such.

Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping to find out about accessibility on Golden Princess with regard to my husband, who is blind, and his Seeing Eye dog. Our last cruise on Celebrity's Mercury was excellent in terms of accessibility for those who are blind.

We've never cruised Princess and I'm not finding much about accessibility on these boards. I appreciate anyone who can tell us about your experiences.

1. Are the buttons on the elevators Brailled? Do the elevators "talk" to announce your floor/deck?

2. Are the numbers on the stateroom doors Brailled?

3. Does Princess provide menus and other printed material in Braille or in other accessible format (tape or on disc)?

4. If you've taken a service dog, what was the relief area like?

I think those are our main questions - we're looking at Golden Princess in the spring and I've learned previous passengers often know more of the little details than customer service reps do. I will be contacting the cruise line as well, of course.

If you've been on Golden Princess I'd love any feedback - not just about disability issues. We seem to have a wide variety of choices in cabins and might be able to swing a mini-suite or even a premier suite. I don't knwo anythng about the layouts of the decks and such.

Thanks in advance!

I think most of your questions could be better answered by Princess Cruise Lines.

As a seeing person I probably would not notice the above mentioned braille questions.

As for the dog, I remember one other person sometime ago had a service animal and they (the owners) were required to have sod grass placed on the balcony, and had to replace it at different ports, or a certain amount of days.

I don't remember which cruise line it was though.

For a very interesting discussion of traveling with a service animal go to the "disabled cruise travel" section here on cruise critic. There is a post started by "Wizard of Roz" that is several pages long and details how she travels with her dog. She frequently sails with Princess and can probably answer any questions about dog facilities you have. Another person who contributed to that post is I think Quampeet and he/she also seems to know a lot on this subject.

For a very interesting discussion of traveling with a service animal go to the "disabled cruise travel" section here on cruise critic. There is a post started by "Wizard of Roz" that is several pages long and details how she travels with her dog. She frequently sails with Princess and can probably answer any questions about dog facilities you have. Another person who contributed to that post is I think Quampeet and he/she also seems to know a lot on this subject.
Another person who knows a lot is Coral. :) Perhaps one of these will post an answer here.

Archived