Balcony Doors On Carnival Spirit

CruzinBlues

My wife and I are doing the Hawaii Cruise in April. We have an aft balcony (5266). I was wondering what is the best way to keep the balcony doors open. I have read Bungees and have heard mention of magnets. I am not sure how magnets would work. Can anyone suggest the best ways to keep the doors open.

Thanks Dave

I appreciate the response. I will bring bungee and doorstops and should have everything covered. I don't think I will need the magnets as I like to keep the balcony doors open whenever I am in the room thanks again.

Dave

Dave,

I think the effectiveness of either or door jammer or a bungee cord might depend on the doors placement with relation to your deck. The bungee is going to require that you navigate over or under it. I used all sorts of items to jam the door open, placing the item between the hinges and the jamb. A top-to-bottom crushed beer or soda can worked great if placed at the bottom of the door. I say the bottom of the door because a problem with this technique is that if the door is bumped, your jammer will slide lower and lower, or fail depend on the degree of bumpage. A snuff can worked too.... and think maybe a hockey puck would be PERFECT...but I am not certain of the exact diameter of a hockey puck. A snuff can was just a wee bit small, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch too small in diameter.... and the door retractor would over time crush even the metal lid on the can. The crushed beverage can worked good, but the imperfect outer edges eventually lead to slippage and structural failure.

A bungee cord under high tension is never pleasant to deal with, and can cause serious injury if it fails when someone bumps the door, especially children who have faces closer to the balcony-rail level. I definitely preferred to block the door open with whatever was available than do the limbo to get to deck chairs.

I am not taking anything on this cruise. I will perfect the beverage can crushing method. Remember if you choose this: HIDE THE DEVICE from your room steward lest they will haul it out with the trash. LOL. Happened twice on last cruise. Frustratingly good service... LOL.

This was long, but I hope it helps!

I think Sharkin97 is pretty much on the right track. In the past, I have had my wife do chin-ups from the conutinaitor, more specifically the framistoid shaft on the conutinaitor, to put a slight kink in it. Then by rotation the flebus three times counter clockwise, I am able to get the door to stay open, by itself, just long enough for me to remove all the screws in the hinges, remove the freakin' door and throw it off the balcony. That way I don't have to mess around with bungee cords, hard rubber door stops, smashed beer cans or hocky pucks. Works like a charm.

Richard ;)

WOW, Thanks! I like to tinker and consider myself very resourceful and will build on your ideas. (With the exception of the door removal, LOL). I will also bring my lucky hockey puck just in case it works. Thanks again.

Dave

Archived