Snorkeling and SCUBA Laws?

Ryffian

Are there any laws regarding having to wear a snorkeling vest while snorkeling? I'm not referring to a company's insurance liability issues while taking tourists snorkeling, but just in general.

Also, are there any laws regarding SCUBA diving? I understand that to rent tanks and equipment you need to be certified somehow, but if someone gets all the necessary equipment without any certification are they allowed to dive on their own?

These questions are to help with a "discussion" that my boyfriend and I were having regarding those topics. :rolleyes:

You have to define which country/countries you are inquiring about. You have to know that what is illegal in the US might be legal in other countries.

Are there any laws regarding having to wear a snorkeling vest while snorkeling? I'm not referring to a company's insurance liability issues while taking tourists snorkeling, but just in general.
I know of no laws requiring people to wear a snorkeling vest while snorkeling.

Also, are there any laws regarding SCUBA diving? I understand that to rent tanks and equipment you need to be certified somehow, but if someone gets all the necessary equipment without any certification are they allowed to dive on their own?
If there is no Law prohibiting it, I guess the person could do it, but it would most foolish for them to try it. Most of the diving industry, just like certification itself, is self regulating, at least in the US. I know of no US laws that govern whether someone without a certification could dive or not, but it is possible there are local ordinances against it. There are "rules" about it. No shop will rent or sell you gear without seeing your certification card. Some shops in the Caribbean won't even rent to a certified diver who is without a buddy. That is their way of trying to enforce "No Solo Diving" that is taught my most certification agencies.

This all doesn't take into account the extraordinary bad judgment a person would show by diving without first being certified or without doing a discover scuba dive under the supervision of an instructor.

These questions are to help with a "discussion" that my boyfriend and I were having regarding those topics. :rolleyes:

If the bet was "r there any laws that pertain to SCUBA?" well, in a way yes. There are laws that govern the display of diving flags.... And there are laws about 'fishing' while wearing tanks....what can and can't be taken with what type of gear....like no spearfishing for lobster in Florida. But a law as it pertains to diving in general....can't say I've heard of that. I've never heard of the Florida Marine Patrol boarding a boat and asking to see the diver certification cards.

So if you have all your gear can you dive? The "control" that is in place is that, in the US anyway, and many major dive destinations, you have to show a C-card to fill a tank. I don't know that's a law as much as a policy of the various certification agencies that dive operators align themselves to, as well as local associations like the Cayman Island dive operators, or the Florida Keys dive operators. If you can find someone to fill your tanks there's nothing stopping you from "going for it" I suppose....

Is there a law against a shop filling a tank w/out a c-card being presented? I dunno.....anyone?

Thanks for all the quick replies! This all stems from my boyfriend's comment of "international regulations require the vests for snorkeling." I was thinking that snorkeling was not much more than swimming and figured that there weren't any real "regulations" as such. The scuba question was just a hypothetical continuation of the theme. Thanks!:D

Archived