Carnival vs RCCL

Pattis_61

We have been on RCCL 5 times (twice on Grandeur, 1 on Enchantment, 1 on Brilliance and 1 on Voyager). My husband would like to try Carnival. We both love RCCL, but DH would like to try a different line. Looking for some imput as to the differences between the two from people who have cruised both.

Hi Pattis_61,

For one thing, Carnival ships have a funny looking smoke stack but that is about it.

As you you can see by the signature below, we have cruised almost nothing but RCCL so far and have loved every cruise. But, we have booked our first Carnival cruise and am looking forward to it. I have been scanning the boards, reviews, etc. about Carnival and I think you will probably enjoy giving Carnival a shot.

Try to remember that you shouldn't make judgement on just one cruise. I know that I have had better cruises than others on RCCL and even on the same ship. A lot of personal factors involved on what makes a cruise memorable or not.

So, I say (and borrowing RCCL's tag line) "Get Out There!" Give Carnival a try. Who knows, you may never go back to RCCL.

Richard

Hi Patti - You are going to see some differences, but depending on your cruise attitude - they are really not that big of a deal! I have been on the Rhapsody and the Grandeur, and the Conquest and Sensation. Am booked on Pride in June. My whole family loves to cruise. My whole reason booking on Carnival had more to do with $$. My young adult kids and their friends who go with us (all mid-20s) can better afford Carnival and still have a great time. We also found, that all of the extra stuff like rock climbing wall, etc. we don't use. So as much as I love RCCL, Carnival is the better way to go for us. You will have fun!

Vickie

Patti - I think you will find more similarities than differences in the two lines. The service, crew & staff, entertainment, activities are about equal.

However, you will find larger cabins (largest in the industry) on Carnival ships, as well as better cuisine. As a retired chef from N.O., I pay special attention to food - and I think Carnival offers better, in preparation, presentation, and taste. Also - you can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino in the dining room for all three meals each day on Carnival, but I've paid dearly for them on RCCL.

I've enjoyed my cruises on all lines I've tried, and would never knock any line.I'm just sharing my preference.:)

thanks all for your imput. I know that it is hard to compare cruise lines and that everyone has their own tastes, but these responses give me some insight. On the ships we have been on with RCCL, there were pluses and minuses to each one - and my husband and I each had things that were important to us individually. What is important to me is the big question - is there a lot of partying on Carnival? and most people say no. I have heard tht it is one big party and I guess that isn't true. If I was 20 years younger I'd want one big party but I've reach the age where I like it somewhat quiet - and that's a depressing thought sometimes lol!!!!!

Thanks again all!!!!!

I can compare for you Carnival's Conquest I sailed last May to RC's Mariner I sailed last month:

I give Mariner the edge but not by that much. The food was much better on the Conquest in terms of quality, variety and availability. The variety shows were comparable between the two ships. The other entertainment venues -- bingo, love and marriage game, comedians -- also comparable between the two ships. Mariner has a fabulous ice show that Conquest does not.

Mariner has an overall classier feel to the ship, mostly because of the decor and little things like the costumes the staff wears during the parades on the promenade. You just get the feeling more money has been invested in aesthetics. But Conquest is a lovely ship as well.

In terms of the party reputation on Carnival, quite honestly I didn't notice it. Both ships have the silly pool contests. Both have bars that cater to the late night crowds. The only major difference is Carnival has this "Red, White and Blue team" contest that can be annoying but not overly so. And I saw absolutely nothing on the Conquest that was near as raunchy as "Quest" on Mariner! (I'm not complaining -- I loved it).

I am a suite snob and that is my single disappointment with Carnival -- they have nothing to rival RC's Owner Suites. But I guess that doesn't bother me too much because my next cruise is booked on Carnival!

Read my revew "Carnival Surprises" in member review section, Carnival Victory, 12/2/07.

I too was an RCI, X, and NCL cruiser who was afraid to try Carnival...

Foolish!:o

Many things were equal but many were better, one being the cabins, another the food!:D

We've sailed both extensively. Definitely give Carnival a try. The one piece of advice I'd offer coming over from RCI is to try one of the newest Carnival ships. Since this may end up being your only attempt at Carnival, at least allow Carnival to put its best foot forward.

If you're inclined towards a Panamax ship go on the Spirit Class (Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle), or if you'd like to try a bigger ship (my personal preference), go on the Conquest Class (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, Freedom), or the soon to be launched Splendor which will be similar, but not identical, to the Conquest Class.

The only major difference is Carnival has this "Red, White and Blue team" contest that can be annoying but not overly so!

The RWB thing has always annoyed me, as well. However, I am happy to say that it was not done on my last two Carnival cruises. I'm hoping they are phasing that inane game out.;)

What I think will hit you the most is the ships themselves. RCCL has very elegant ships, Carnival has very DECORATED ships. I found the decor to be a bit overdone, but very fun, there are more details than your eyes can possibly take in.

You will find the room service menu more limited on Carnival. I found the cabins to be very roomy and each cabin has complimentary robes for you to use. I found that the value on Carnival was wonderful, never felt nickeled and dimed to death.

I was really surprised by quality of the food in the dining room, and the variety offered around the ship.

From what I have gathered on this board, short cruises will offer a more party atmosphere (same as RCCL) Spirit Class ships tend to be a little more subdued, with fewer passengers and a better passenger to space ratio, the conquest being the current largest class is a little more challenging to navigate (I had it down cold in 1 day), as the decks are chopped up a bit.

I will say this, if you are hooked on the rock wall, ice rink, royal promenade, and the like, you may be disappointed with Carnivals ships. But Carnival offers a great value in cruising, I felt that I got more than I paid for. And the bedding was divine!

Hope this helps

MAC

I have been on 3 carnival cruises and 1 princess. I was thinking about trying rc but then after a post i had asked about i am going to carnival again.

We thought the food was way better on carnival than princess.. and there were other little things but overall loved carnival and the price so we are coming back. I wouldnt say i wouldnt try rc.. but this trip we are taking kids so it is more economical.

Archived