Majesty or Sovereign

sl0905

We will be going on our third cruise in April 2005. A short getaway for our anniversary. We are trying to decide on the Majesty (never been to Key West) or the Sovereign (we were on her last year) The Sovereign will be fresh out of dry dock that would be nice, but the Majesty includes a day in Key West. We are concerned that the Majesty may show her age. Does anyone know when her last refurbishment was? Also we only flew into Orlando, never Miami. Is Miami an easy transfer to the pier?

Thank you

The 9/6 Majesty sailing was just my first cruise, but I don't remember seeing anything that made me think she was an older ship. There was a screw lose (er, besides me :p) in one of our cabinet doors, but that was about it. I thought I saw that she was refurbished maybe 2001 or 2, but don't quote me on that one ;) We had transfers from MIA to the port with our package, and I thought it went pretty easily and smoothly (considering they had to account for 3 ships that morning @ the airport). If you take a cab, I think it's about $25 - 30 for the 20 minute trip.

I had booked the Majesty for the Key West route, but Frances had something to say about that. I'd definitely sail her again... maybe not in hurricane season though ;)

Hope that helps!

Frank

We will be going on our third cruise in April 2005. A short getaway for our anniversary. We are trying to decide on the Majesty (never been to Key West) or the Sovereign (we were on her last year) The Sovereign will be fresh out of dry dock that would be nice, but the Majesty includes a day in Key West. We are concerned that the Majesty may show her age. Does anyone know when her last refurbishment was? Also we only flew into Orlando, never Miami. Is Miami an easy transfer to the pier?

Thank you

We were on the Sovereign Feb 04 and Majesty Aug 23, 2004. We enjoyed both. I the little problems didn't cause a problem on the Sovereign for you, I am sure Majesty will be okay. I thought that they both were showing a little age but what can you expect. They are always painting and cleaning both. Hopefully the Sovereign will come out looking pretty up and the space is being changed along with new bathrooms and new curtain and spreads. Majesty won't have that, but you have the Key West stop, which is very interesting if you have never been there. I would go the one that the stops were the most interesting to you.

I though Miami was easy if you bought transferrs but we like to take taxie because we can leave right away instead of waiting around for the bus to fill up. Taxie was a 20 minute ride straight to port and cost $21 dollars and my husband gave the driver $25. Tipped the ports only $1 per bag at the dock. The porters want you to give them more by telling you they will get it to your room quicker, but we had ours by 4. It takes a while to get all that luguage in the elivators to each floor and then to each room. We just picked up our own bags when we saw them by the elevators.

I was on the Majesty for the August 30th sailing to Nassau, Coco Cay, and Key West, which turned into an extended cruise to nowhere thanks to Hurricane Frances. Because of the Hurricane, we missed Coco Cay (instead went to Freeport) and Key West and got to go back out of Miami for 5 days at sea. It was terrific! The extra time at sea really allowed the 710 lucky passengers who stayed behind to explore the ship without the crowds. I only have 2 complaints... 1). My cabin stewart NEVER made me a towel animal even though I was cruising by myself, left the cabin pretty neat so he could clean fairly easily and hinted on Part 2 of the unexpected cruise that there would be a big tip in it if he did... he also never brought me back clean pool towels so I had to sneak one from the pool deck to return to the room and 2). I've heard that on other RCL cruises out to sea during Frances that they not only got to stay on the ship, but got discounts on future cruises. Guess they think that why should they bother on the 4 night cruises. Overall, I liked the ship... and I love cruising out of Miami... never cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale, so not sure what that port would be like.:o

Archived