American Airlines Cancellation Policy

Avril

I have a reservation on American Airlines to fly to Houston with my boyfriend for our cruise on the Carnival Conquest in February. :D We fly out on Feb 9th. I was just browsing airlines websites to see if I could find a better price and I found one with Southwest (over $100 cheaper). :D My question is, will I be able to cancel with AA and get a full refund or how much is the cancellation penalty? I just want to know wether I should take the flight with Southwest or stay with AA.

Thanks!! :D

I don't believe that there are any airlines that will give one a cash refund for a nonrefundable ticket. (Read oxymoron.) Some, like Alaska, United, and Southwest will issue vouchers for the entire amount, and these typically must be used within one year.

Call AA or your travel agent and get the full details. If you cancel, you can't just decide to go back with what you had. Most nonref tickets are good for credits for one year from the date the ticket was issued (sometimes the date of travel depending on the airline) but you still pay any fare difference plus the change fee etc when you rebook.

For only a $100 savings, I would keep what you have and save the hassle.

Most nonref tickets are good for credits for one year from the date the ticket was issued

Of domestic trips made on any one of the top 10 carriers, this is possible at no fee about 43% of the time based on data for the first 8 months of 2007.

Archived