Balmoral 13 Mar 08

EnglishChick

• 1 month later...

Hi, EnglishChick-

You might be interested to know that although Fred.Olsen hasn't publicised it at all, this is one of two cruises on which the Music of Your Life group is sponsoring a big band music theme (the other one is the 3 March departure). The band is scheduled to be Buddy Morrow and The Dorsey Seven, led by old timer Buddy Morrow. Buddy is in his late 80s and played with many of the big-band-era bands, including the Dorseys. His biggest hit was a number called Night Train.

So, if you like big band style music and real ballroom dancing, you're in for a treat. I've done three cruises with the Dorsey band and the only reason I haven't booked one of these cruises is that I didn't learn of them until I was already committed to a big band transatlantic on Holland America in March.

For more details see the link http://www.musicofyourlife.com/travel/trav2.pdf.

Afraid I can't answer your question about younger people. Olsen hasn't really marketed much here in the USA, but if the cruises coincide with universities' spring breaks, you might see quite a few college-age kids on board.

Enjoy your cruise. Hope you'll post a review when you get home, as I'm seriously consideing Olsen for '09.

I am a new cruiser and embarking on my first solo holiday ... crikey!! would love to hear if there are any younger people going on this trip

Hi Cool Chick

We are a couple of cool Grand Parents joining this cruise on 13 March, flying from Gatwick airport - I assume that you are on the same flight? Not long to go now and just waiting for FO to send our tickets!

Hubby is a fan of band music and although I will enjoy some of it,it is not really my cup of tea.

As for younger passengers on the ship, do not worry too much about us oldies, we are quite harmless and will look out for you and make sure that you have an excellent cruise!

Hi Trishfish

Thanks for your reply. You have made me feel a bit more chilled out about going. Not that I was nervous about being one of the younger members of the cruise, but since booking (way back in May last year) I have heard so much negativity about the age group on FO ships.

I do hope we bump into each other, please make yourself known to me if you spot me ... I am quite noticable (the 6ft slim lady, short brown hair).

When I booked the cruise, it was supposed to be the 'current affairs artsclub', and am glad that it is now also 'big band sounds' - I've enjoyed hearing it from the movies, but not heard anything live before, so am quite excited about that. Unfortunately. I am flying from Manchester, I dont know if the Gatwick flight stops at Manchester for us or whether you go direct.

:) :) :) :) :)

Hello EnglishChick,the wife and I are both first time cruisers and will be going on the Balmoral from Miami to the eastern Caribbean on the 3rd March until the 13th March. We are of the older generation but we have great holidays and have teamed up with some of the younger people many times and some we keep in touch with and meet up again at times.I am sure you will have a great time and just go with the flow, join in with the elders and you will have a good laugh. Our paths will cross at Miami, our cabin is on Coral deck No.4078. Enjoy, Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi English Chick

we're also on the Balmoral on 13th - flying from Stansted. ("We" being my husband and I and another couple) and also on Bridge Deck - although we're at the other end of the deck to you in cabin 9092. Can't remember which cabin our friends are in but after a mix up with the booking they're on one side of the ship and we're on the other!

We're not exactly old - but not as young as you. Husband and I are both 46 and our friends are a few years younger - but not many!

Looking forward to getting onboard!

Netty

Archived