Transportation from Fort Lauderdale to Miami

sandy31250

We are going on the Valor on April 12. We are flying into FLL since it was so much cheaper. I have heard that if we rent a car we can turn it in at the Miami airport and then take a shuttle. Has anyone else done this or know about this...anyone know the costs?

Found this # on another thread.

Easy Express 1-800-824-9546

We called and were given a price of $99 each way for eight of us. I heard Carnival charges $56 roundtrip per person. Not sure if all this info is correct. Have fun!;)

I work for Hertz and can tell you you can rent from Hertz in FLL or PBI or MIA and drop near the Port of Miami with no drop charge. We have a HLE location about 3/4 of a mile from the ships. Best to drop everyone and luggage off at the ship and then return the car and someone will get you right off to the ship. And they will pick you up if you want to do it the same the other way. I don't work in Miami, but never had to wait to get back to the ship. Always been shuttle back to the ship in 4 to 5 min.

If you are flying in the day before the car rental is the way to go. We rent in FLL and stay in Miami. The next morning I drop the whole party off at the pier and return the car to Miami Airport then take the free shuttle back to the port.

If you are flying in the day before the car rental is the way to go. We rent in FLL and stay in Miami. The next morning I drop the whole party off at the pier and return the car to Miami Airport then take the free shuttle back to the port.

Okay, I have a question along these same lines........

What if there are 2 of us flying in the day the ship leaves into Ft. Lauderdale. What is the best way to get to the ship in this scenario? Any suggestions? We've never flown into Ft. Lauderdale but I can get 2 roundtrip tickets for less than $200 each going in there where it would be nearly $100 more per person going into Miami but if I'm going to spend nearly that renting a car or arranging transportation then the airfare savings would be useless.

Any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale this Sunday and renting a car from Alamo and returning it to the Port of Miami. Our cost for the rental car is 30 + tax for a full size car. Then they will have a free shuttle for us to get back to the ship. Hope this helps.

What if there are 2 of us flying in the day the ship leaves into Ft. Lauderdale. What is the best way to get to the ship in this scenario? Any suggestions? We've never flown into Ft. Lauderdale but I can get 2 roundtrip tickets for less than $200 each going in there where it would be nearly $100 more per person going into Miami but if I'm going to spend nearly that renting a car or arranging transportation then the airfare savings would be useless.

Thanks!

There is a shared ride service called Go Airport Shuttle (www.floridalimo.com) that picks up at the airport and for $18 per person will take you to POM. You don't need a reservation and the shuttle runs every 30 min. You look for a Go Airport Shuttle rep at the terminal.

Thanks!

As posted above, you can get a shuttle for $18 pp each way ($72 total). However, we're doing the same thing in February, we're saving money by flying to FLL, plus after the disaster at MIA in September, we were trying to avoid it again anyway. We were concerned since we weren't able to fly in early this time (if we didn't fly in day of we couldn't take the cruise) so we opted for a private sedan to pick us up in FLL and drive us to the port of Miami. The driver has agreed to stop at a convenience store so I can pick up Pepsi on the way, and will be waiting at the ship at 9am. Total including tip = $152. We didn't want to have to worry about waiting for a shuttle when we were on such a tight time window.

http://www.larryslimos.com

As posted above, you can get a shuttle for $18 pp each way ($72 total). However, we're doing the same thing in February, we're saving money by flying to FLL, plus after the disaster at MIA in September, we were trying to avoid it again anyway. We were concerned since we weren't able to fly in early this time (if we didn't fly in day of we couldn't take the cruise) so we opted for a private sedan to pick us up in FLL and drive us to the port of Miami. The driver has agreed to stop at a convenience store so I can pick up Pepsi on the way, and will be waiting at the ship at 9am. Total including tip = $152. We didn't want to have to worry about waiting for a shuttle when we were on such a tight time window.

www.larryslimos.com

Let me get this straight.;) You are using Larry's Limo to get you to AND from the FLL airport, to the POM - Roundtrip $152 total! :eek: Is that in a limo or sedan?

Here is a suggestion I received on this board. Sounds pretty easy and very cheap. It might not work best for what you have planned--but hopefully it might help some other people out. You take the South Florida Transit Train from FLL airport to the MIami airport. Those tickets are 3 dollars and it only takes approx. 40 minutes. Link: http://www.tri-rail.com You can check schedules and fares out there. The person who suggested this option said there is a lot of room on the train for your luggage, etc.

Once you get to the Miami airport, you can either get a shuttle to your hotel (many offer that), or if your cruise is on the same day, take a taxi from the MIA airport to the cruiseport. The guy who suggested this to me said the taxi fare would be approx. 20 dollars.

The Tri-Rail has not reached a level of reliability that any traveler should trust. It's not to unusual for the trains to stop for an hour or two disabled on the tracks until buses come to take the passengers to the next train station.

Let me get this straight.;) You are using Larry's Limo to get you to AND from the FLL airport, to the POM - Roundtrip $152 total! :eek: Is that in a limo or sedan?

In a sedan (as indicated in my post) and includes tip. It is $152 total, NOT Per person. They will be waiting for us outside baggage claim. They can pick you up inside with a sign with your name on it for an extra fee. They will be waiting at the ship at 9 am until we find them. They are aware that debarkation can run late. I asked about the included tip, as the lasttime we did that the driver had his hand out, and the girl who made my reservation assures me that they do not expect additional gratuity.

use the corrected website:

http://www.larryslimo.com

I know Bequia, that nothing is perfect. But the train haveing problem is no worse then being on a freeway when a traffic accident happens and there you sit too. And because us(people that don't know the Miami area), when we get off the freeway to get by the accident can get lost and spend more time trying to get back on the freeway down the road. I have use tri-rail just about everytime I go to Miami and have never had a problem with it. Now on the other hand I have been on The Miami freeway and been stuck in traffic longer then I ever wanted too. And not even because of a accident. Where a 4 lane goes down to a 3 lane, it can have a 2 or 3 mile backup. When they are working on the freeway, again a 2 or 3 or even a 5 mile backup. A cop has a car pulled over and everyone has to slow down and look. So say what you want about it but how many times have used tri-rail? If I lived there I would not use it either. I too would use my car and get around OK. But for the rest of us it is a lot cheaper then a 128.00$ dollar limo ride. Take away the 6.00$ me and my wife would spend on Tri-rail from the 128.00$ dollar and that gives us 122.00$ more dollars to spend on the cruise or even the cost of our Hotel. But then on the other hand if I was flying into FLL on the day of the cruise and was getting in to FLL at noon I too would not use Tri-rail, But I would never do that! I always fly in the day before and use tri-rail!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, so thanks for all the replies.

So if I choose to do the "Go Airport Shuttle" do they have shuttles waiting when we get off the ship too?

We are trying to do the same thing. When I called "Go airport Shuttle" I was told that the only way back from the Port of Miami was to take a private car and that would cost $124. So I guess we will use the cruiseline's transportation instead to return to FLL.

Archived