Help with snorkel panic.

mmsoko

The snorkel in question is no better nor is it any worse than a host of snorkels available to you at a much lower price from any number of dive shops.

We have used Ocean Master Dry Snorkels for years. We're divers but we always have snorkels for any surface swim time prior to descending. We did use them for pure snorkeling as well for two years before getting our open water certification. They work well and have proven reliable over time. We both do much prefer the dry snorkel over a a simple open upper tube type snorkel.

BTW I bought our snorkels, all three of them, via eBay and paid peanuts for all three. Why three when there are only two of us? In case we break one we have a backup. I would recommend that all mask purchases be made in person at a dive shop after trying the mask on. Next to our regulators our masks are the most important piece of equipment we own.

There are a number of on-line scuba shops as well. LiesurePro and Scuba Toys are two of the biggest on-line dive shops. Scuba Toys has excellent pre and postpurchase customer service. I'm not affiliated in any way with either place. I have purchased things from both entities though.

Hope this is helpful. Please go enjoy that next snorkel trip.

My husband and I both NOW really enjoy snorkeling, but had serious panic attacks when we first tried it in Hawaii! Everyone told us how great it was, and we were determined to try it before we were to old !! That whole "remembering to breath through your mouth and not your nose thing" was the issue.

I know this sounds basic to many...but for the first time snorkeler that panic that hits you when you can’t get any air is scary. Once you know what you are going to feel, and know how to react to it, you can relax and enjoy the beautiful sites!!

What we found helpful was to practice a little and concentrate on relaxing and breathing in and out of your mouth. You may even want to put on your gear, put your face in the water in the bath tub, pool or sitting on the beach or edge of the boat before jumping in. If you get water in your mask, just back float, dump the water out, rub a little spit on the inside to keep it from fogging up, and be sure you have a good seal all around when you put it back on with no hair in the way. Hope that helped someone!;)

Subatoys mentioned above is a reliable place. Also - I don't swim well and panic in deep water so imagine when I tried to snorkel!!! I was too terriffied and panicked in St. Martin (not much snorkeling there anyway) so I missed that. Then we went to St. John and after about 1 hour of sitting on the beach half in and out of the water with my head dunked in...I finally got it!!! I was able to snorkel a little ways out to the reef. Keep in mind my fear of deep water....so now, I have a snorkel vest and I LOVE SNORKELING!!! No more fear....unless I accidentally start deflating my vest more than I should have ;)

Archived