Cayman Auto Rentals?

2boysonly

• 2 months later...

I haven't used Cayman Auto Rentals - I usually use Andy's - but I haven't heard anything bad about them. I wouldn't fret - I've been to GC a bunch of times & never had a bad experience with any local business.

I would suggest that you go ahead and make a reservation in advance, though - car rental shops often get sold out when ships are in port.

KroozMeister,

What a cool name!:cool:

With all the great advice here, I'm getting really excited about renting a car for the day in GC. Would you tell me what your experience is as far as getting back to the cruise port? About how long would it take from Andy's around 3:00 in the afternoon? I'm choosing between Andy's and Cayman Auto, because I think the Cayman Auto site is about a 7 minute walk away from the port (which would eliminate any traffic problems).

Thanks!!

I'm not picking on any particular car rental company but a while back I was warned that you need to check the insurance very carefully because some of the companies do not have full cover.

This means if the vehicle is seriously damaged you could find yourself replacing it.

This fact turned up after a rental minibus was torched out at East End. However, the rental company did cover that loss themselves.

I do know Avis is ok because I backed one of their compacts into something solid and it was all covered.

Andy's is getting a bit of a Rent-A-Wreck reputation, they were like that a while back, got a lot better after Hurricane Ivan then started to slide back.

Hey Cayman John,

What do you mean by torched out? Did someone purposely set the car on fire? With the low crime rate there? I appreciate you passing this information on - Do you know anything about Cayman Auto?

I can always just book the excursion through Carnival - I just will have to go to Stingray City which we have done and didn't particularly want to do again. We would like to see Rum Point.

Thanks for your input.

KroozMeister,

What a cool name!:cool:

With all the great advice here, I'm getting really excited about renting a car for the day in GC. Would you tell me what your experience is as far as getting back to the cruise port? About how long would it take from Andy's around 3:00 in the afternoon? I'm choosing between Andy's and Cayman Auto, because I think the Cayman Auto site is about a 7 minute walk away from the port (which would eliminate any traffic problems).

Thanks!!

My experience getting back to the cruise port - that's a funny story! Short version: don't try to walk it! :D

I was there over Spring Break last month - a very busy day - and we ran a little late getting back to Andy's. I think it was about 2:55 when we got the car turned in, and traffic was pretty backed up between Andy's and the Port area. The last tender was supposed to leave at 3:30, so we were afraid we might actually miss it. However, as it turned out, there were a LOT of last-minute people, so the line for the tenders was HUGE when we got there (right at 3:30). We were not the very last people in line, but close. We waited in line about an hour before getting on the last tender, which left at 4:30. :)

Andy's will give you a ride back to the pier, but I'd make sure to be dropping the car off at least a half-hour before the last tender departs. (don't count on them running an hour late!)

I think you are right about Cayman Auto being about a 7-minute walk, but that only eliminates half of the traffic problems - you will still have to fight traffic to get back there in the afternoon, so you'll want to allow extra time for that.

One more tip - don't forget to bring the phone number of the cruise line's port agent with you when you leave the ship (it's usually on the daily paper you get in your cabin the night before). That way if you are delayed you can call them and maybe they will wait for you. Maybe.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I'm researching the various car rental companies to try to make a decision. I emailed a few but no response yet.

Are Avis and Andys further down 7 Mile Beach than Cayman Auto?

I tried to check out the cruise calendar last night and found that you have to pay for a subscription to find out how many ships are in port. Does anyone know if cruisecal is the only site? I did this a few years ago and it was free.:confused:

Thanks! :)

caribbean crazy - looks like you will be the only ship in port - go to caymanport.com. Most of the car rental places are located at the airport but they will come pick you up and drop you off at the pier.

I hope this helps!

Jean-lynd,

Hey! Thanks for the info! One ship in port sounds great. That makes me think traffic should not be a problem. Looking at the GC map, it seems that the airport is out of the 7 mile beach traffic. I suppose it still gets congested around that area when dropping off the car, but with just one ship in port, we should be fine.

Thanks for your help!

Archived