Skywalk in the Forest-Puntarenas, Costa Rica

neepawa

We are planning to do the "Skywalk in the Forest" shore excursion in Puntarenas, Costa Rica during our Panama Canal cruise on the Regatta at the end of January 2008. Some in our party have acrophobia and wonder if the suspended cable bridges will cause us problems.

Comments please from those who taken this shore excursion.

Don

I second PVCruiser's comments. We did a "sky walk" in Punteranus during a HAL Panama Canal trip last year. Assuming they go to the same place (how many of them can there be?), it was pretty tame. They drove us to the top of the hill in vans, and the guide basically led us downhill, stopping to explain the flora and fauna as we went. Most of the walk was on dirt/mud paths (could slippery if it's rained so make sure you're confident about your footing and balance), using suspended bridges to cross ravines/valley's between the hilltops. You never feel like you're suspended in space and the bridges are metal, have high rails, and feel very substantial. Hope this helps.

It's been 10 years since I did the Capilano bridge in Vancouver. As I remember it, I felt much more "suspended in space" in Vancouver than I did on the Costa Rican skywalk. You could really see the river below you in Vancouver - the Costa Rican skywalk moves through the treetops so you don't get the same sense of hanging in mid-air. Hope that helps.

Archived