Which are better for snorkeling or snuba

jdbmga

Which itinerary would be better for snorkeling and/or snuba

Western: Labadee, Haiti, Ocho Rios, Jamaica (obviously none here), George Town, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, Mexico

or

Eastern: CocoCay, Bahamas, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas and Philipsburg, St. Maarten,

This is our first cruise. DH is a scuba certified but I am not so we will be snorkeling or possibly snuba.

Which itinerary would be better for snorkeling and/or snuba

Western: Labadee, Haiti, Ocho Rios, Jamaica (obviously none here), George Town, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, Mexico

or

Eastern: CocoCay, Bahamas, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas and Philipsburg, St. Maarten,

This is our first cruise. DH is a scuba certified but I am not so we will be snorkeling or possibly snuba.

Neither of those itineraries is particularly scuba friendly, IMO. Of those two, I'd go with the Western.

Labadee - unless the ship offers a dive excursion, you can't dive there.

Jamaica - ick

Cozumel - Great diving, pretty good snorkeling

Grand Cayman - Great diving, better snorkeling than Cozumel IMO.

Eastern

CocoCay - same as Labadee

St. Thomas - Fairly good diving

St. Maarten - mediocre diving IMO, snorkeling probably not much better.

bruce,

Thanks for your reply. I was asking about snuba though, not scuba

Yes, I know. sadwalk.gif I guess I read your OP incorrectly. I got all excited when I read that your DH was certified, so I missed the part after that where you said you'd be snorkeling or snuba (implying that he would NOT get to dive).

I'd still pick Western. Have you considered doing a discover scuba dive instead of snuba? More operators offer that than snuba. In case you haven't already discovered it, http://www.snuba.com lists operators that offer snuba.

bruce,

I looked into in and I'm going to take a discover scuba class locally next month. Then if I like it I can take the scuba certification class locally as well. So now I'm trying to find somewhere in Grand Cayman or Cozumel, preferably Grand Cayman since we stop there first, where I can complete my open water certification.

Do you know of anywhere?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

bruce,

I looked into in and I'm going to take a discover scuba class locally next month. Then if I like it I can take the scuba certification class locally as well. So now I'm trying to find somewhere in Grand Cayman or Cozumel, preferably Grand Cayman since we stop there first, where I can complete my open water certification.

Do you know of anywhere?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Hi,

I'd recommend Sunset House Resort. They're a 5 minute (or less) taxi from the tender docks. They have a reef right outside the door for shore dives (and certification dives) and they have a full service dive shop right on premise. You can contact them and get more information (including the dive shop information) at www.sunsethouse.com.

Good luck and welcome to diving :)

Randall

Archived