Pride....Hurricane info....Uh-Oh!!

tracie

I just got an e-mail from Randi of Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan....She said that the Pride made a change in this weeks schedule due to rough waters in PV. They will be going to Ensenada instead of PV. I called Carnival and they confirmed this, they also said that cruisers were not offered any sort of compensation. They also said that they expect the hurricanes to quiet down in October, but they cannot quarantee anything. What a bummer....I would be really sad if they had to skip PV. I have decided to not book any excursions that I have to pay for in advance. Ranid's Happy Horses does not make you pay unless you take her tour, so we are going to keep our reservation with her. I will keep everyone posted if I hear anything else.

Tracie

We just returned from the Pride (9-12-04) and we had wonderful weather!! The seas were very calm and only had rain in the late evening while in PV. I wouldn't worry so much about missing a port, because the whole point is that you are on a cruise!! They will pamper you while you are on there and maybe you could use that money to take in the spa. Anyways, thats my opinion.

Steven

Wow, what weather!! We specifically booked the Mexican Riv due to it being hurricaine season and didn't think it would affect us, On this side, they seem to spin out into the Pacific, rather than inland, but I never thought about the condition of the water. We'll be quite a bit further south (Acapulco) so maybe it won't bother us. I'd really hate to get rerouted to some place like Ensenada! Good luck to all of us!! :) Carol

Am I the only one who would get upset if Puerto Vallarta were replaced by Ensenada? We will be on the Pride over Thanksgiving; if Peurto Vallarta were to be replaced by Ensenada (not likely), I would hope the cruise line would give me the option to reschedule this cruise to another date.

No one has control over the weather, and I don't fault Carnival for rescheduling the ports. I don't know if Carnival would permit you to reschedule. However, I don't feel that Ensenada is a good substitute for P.V. I know many of you cruise more for the cruise than the ports of call. But I for one do NOT. Ports of call are important to me...and I would guess to others as well. I would rather be given the choice to go another time when P.V. is on the itinerary than go to Ensenada.

We reside in California, and I know many people who cruise the Mexican Riviera may NOT have the option to reschedule airfare, etc. Does anyone know Carnival's policy on this? I'm sure some people will be fine with Ensenada; but I for one would hope Carnival would let me reschedule.

Just my two cents worth!!

I believe that the cruise line reserves the right to cancel or change any ports they feel are necessary to change. If they do make changes they are not obligated to compensate you in any way. Unless something really drastic were to happen and they had to cancel or significantly shorten the cruise I don't think they give you any options to reschedule.

Am I the only one who would get upset if Puerto Vallarta were replaced by Ensenada? We will be on the Pride over Thanksgiving; if Peurto Vallarta were to be replaced by Ensenada (not likely), I would hope the cruise line would give me the option to reschedule this cruise to another date.

No one has control over the weather, and I don't fault Carnival for rescheduling the ports. I don't know if Carnival would permit you to reschedule. However, I don't feel that Ensenada is a good substitute for P.V. I know many of you cruise more for the cruise than the ports of call. But I for one do NOT. Ports of call are important to me...and I would guess to others as well. I would rather be given the choice to go another time when P.V. is on the itinerary than go to Ensenada.

We reside in California, and I know many people who cruise the Mexican Riviera may NOT have the option to reschedule airfare, etc. Does anyone know Carnival's policy on this? I'm sure some people will be fine with Ensenada; but I for one would hope Carnival would let me reschedule.

Just my two cents worth!!

I do agree with you that I would not be pleased if a port was changed to Enseneda. But, that is a risk if you and you alone make the choice to sail during hurricane season.

The contract with Carnival states " The Guest acknowledges that the cruise may be booked in a location that is susceptible to severe weather systems, including but not limited to, hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, and that Carnival reserves the right to alter the ship's course, ports of call, itinerary, activity and shore excursions to avoid such weather systems and insure the comfort and safety of the Guest and crew."

Unfortunately, it looks like Carnival is not under any obligation to offer a change in the dates of travel based on weather problems.

Unfortunately, it looks like Carnival is not under any obligation to offer a change in the dates of travel based on weather problems.

That's too bad. I personally think the cruise lines (I'm sure other cruise lines do what Carnival does) should allow passengers to reschedule in the event of a port change. With that said, I don't think any compensation or refunds are in order; just an opportunity to reschedule on a sail date that prices out the same. If given the choice, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would NOT reschedule, as this usually happens at the last minute, and it would be problamatic to reschedule airfare and hotel accommodations. But I think it would be nice to have the choice to do so in any event. As we reside in Northern California, if this were the case on a Caribbean cruise, I'm pretty sure we would NOT be able to reschedule for the reasons listed above. But a cruise departing closer to home would be a different story.

I was with both of you on the same cruise last week! I loved the rain in PV and all the lightning that lite up the ocean. Tindydancer, were you with your daughter on the ship?

No, with my husband. We thought the lightning was awesome too! We don't really have many lightning storms like that up here, it was so beautiful! :)

Archived