Life Boat Drill

kittygrace

Perhaps it is people like you who WE who show up on time are waiting for? I think people who are non shows should walk the plank!

Muster is one thing to NOT be fashionably LATE for.

Show up on time and suck it up ...... don't think you are better than others by being LATE by 15 minutes.

Well, DH and I are "ahead" of time for EVERYTHING...but we got SICK of everyone showing up late whether our muster was inside or outside on the ship!!

As far as "fashionably" late...have not seen any great "fashions" at a muster drill:eek: Look around you!

We now know that by showing up 15 minutes late, we only have to wait 15 minutes longer for the late passengers.

Good for us:)

Thank you..much appreciate being in the hot sun waiting for you. Although we've never waited a half hour. Usually about 10-15 minutes, which is a long time in the hot sun in addition to the actual time the muster takes.

Like I was saying..we have stood around in the hot sun because we listened to the instructions that had a clear time (and announcement) of when we are supposed to be there. I think they should start on time, and let those who are wait miss their plans the next morning, or whatever, to make it up.

I agree with you, we always listened to instructions and waited 1/2 hour and they did NOT start on time.

PS...you NEVER waited for us...even waiting 15 minutes (now) we STILL wait for the list to be completed which it never is:)

Tony and Gina,

Well, sounds like a mutiny to me! LOL. I've missed many a muster drill, and have endured many a drill as well. I've never had to have a make up drill.

As always, some seem to know it all yet their empathy skills pretty much suck. My ex had panic attacks and I understand your pain. You can hang with me if you want to miss it, or go with me if you want to attend!

mar

Sailed on the Dec. 22 - Jan 2 Pride of Aloha cruise. Our first two days were in Honolulu. They held the drill at 4:00pm on the second day - two hours before we sailed.

All seems good, right? Well almost! They told everyone to be on board by 5:30pm. There was never a mention of the drill. We, like hundreds of others, boarded the ship after the drill.

There was no mention, ever, of missing the drill. There was no makeup drill, no note to our cabin, nothing in the Daily, no announcements - nothing whatsoever!

So at least on the Pride of Aloha, on that week, the drill was "optional".

Aloha!

Several years ago we were seated in the theater, wearing our life jackets, waiting for the Muster drill to start. I noticed that music was being played through the loudspeaker system. It was the theme to the movie “Titanic”! :eek:

That was funny! Some crews have a sense of humor.

See what fun things you can miss by not attending a muster drill.

KittyGrace - Congrats on going and trying to work through the anxiety. It's awful to have to experience it. I do know that the personnel are very helpful and will generally allow you a spot near a doorway (if the drill is outside or inside) that will give you more space and a less panicky feeling. The crew, and many of your fellow passengers, do care and know people who would be extremely anxious in crowded situations.

Please just let the crewmembers know ahead of time and I'm certain they will do their very best to have you comfortable and ensure that you know the instructions. It's the best of all worlds.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Who knew this would be such a hot ;) topic.

Why all the negativity? Go ahead and skip the drill and have fun doing what you want. If the boat starts going down, just take those lemons NCL is throwing at you and make lemonade! :D ;)

LOL, good one Biggy! While I admit, I do love lemonade, I have come to realize that I must go to the life boat drill as required. It will be difficult for me but it is important... just in case. I'll even go early (like we always do) so no one will have to wait on me, heaven forbid. I'll just be staking my claim on a position front row and not center. And now I'll probably catch heck for thinking I deserve a place in the front row, why should I get to be in the front when everyone else has to move to the back. All I can say to that is if the drills bother you too, then come stand with me in the front. Maybe I'll even get a tee shirt made that says "Panicked and Proud" so you'll all know who to throw the lemons at just for suggesting such a topic. This has been fun, thanks for all the suggestions, rants, support and laughs.

Dont go on the cruise if you cant stand up to a darn muster drill. I have no sympathy for you at all and would not want to be on the same boat as you.

As nasty at this sounds, I totally agree. If you are panicked at going to the Life Boat Drill, what would you be like if an emergency occured? Please choose another vacation. If you can't do the drill, go to a land based vacation.

I don't like going to the drills, but I know it's for my own safety as well as all the others on the ship. I also get PO'd at those who think it's a joke and don't need to show up, so we all suffer while waiting for the others to show up.

Seriously, if you can't do the drill, perhaps a cruise isn't really for you. I don't know that if an emergency came up you would be able to follow the directions and take care of yourself. Keep in mind, there isn't anyone else to take care of you in an emergency. Not even your husband. The last thing we all would need if for someone to be panicking, screaming etc.

Don't just think about yourself. Think about others and perhaps unless you get some help, please stay home. I know this sounds cruel and I don't mean it that way, just being honest.

I've had some time to think about this and I realize I was harsh. I am very curious....what part of the drill brings on the panic attack? Seriously. Since they dont bother me at all, I want to know more about it. Is is the crowded conditions in the drill...or the thought of having to prepare for something as traumatic as a sinking ship..or something entirely different....what do you think triggers the attacks? Do other things trigger them? If you are able to self examine this, it might help you avoid having a major panic attack during the standard muster drill.

I am someone who has had panic attacks and who gets very claustrophobic. I also hate very crowded places and being in tight quarters with people that I don't know pushing against me.... however.... I don't get any of those feelings during a muster drill because I know that it is the beginning of the cruise that I have been planning for so long. I guess I get so excited about finally being on the ship that the drill happens and I don't even think about the crowds, pushing or panic. Until reading this thread, I hadn't really thought about it. Might be mind over matter!

You know, it's not often that someone comes on and posts an issue like you did in the first post, and then actually listens to the reasons people give for doing something like the muster..and still comes back and lets us know that there has been a change of mind, and you'll be at muster...even though you are still worried about doing it. I'd have no problem with you at the front..although a shirt saying "I have panic attacks if I'm squished" might not be out of order LOL!

You are definately a classy person.

LOL, good one Biggy! While I admit, I do love lemonade, I have come to realize that I must go to the life boat drill as required.

[clip]

This has been fun, thanks for all the suggestions, rants, support and laughs.

Panic attacks are very difficult to control. It depends on the person and the situation. For some, panic attacks occur without any triggers or reasons. It is very hard for someone who has not experienced it to understand. It feels like a total loss of control over your mind and body. When you know what triggers them it is better than getting one out of the blue and feeling like you are having a heart attack or going "crazy". Some people think "oh a panic attack means your afraid or scared" however it can become MUCH more intense than that. I would compare it to a cramp that won't stop or if you have a stomach virus and are vomiting uncontrollably. When you have a panic attack you are beyond mind over matter. This deserves sympathy and understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

Panic attacks are very difficult to control. It depends on the person and the situation. For some, panic attacks occur without any triggers or reasons. It is very hard for someone who has not experienced it to understand. It feels like a total loss of control over your mind and body. When you know what triggers them it is better than getting one out of the blue and feeling like you are having a heart attack or going "crazy". Some people think "oh a panic attack means your afraid or scared" however it can become MUCH more intense than that. I would compare it to a cramp that won't stop or if you have a stomach virus and are vomiting uncontrollably. When you have a panic attack you are beyond mind over matter. This deserves sympathy and understanding.

Well said...and, I agree!

Yes, "sympathy and understanding"...which the OP did not get from many who responded:eek:

I never knew what a panic attack was until one night on a late flight to Los Angeles. I had been asleep, awoke, and could not breathe! It was like coming up from under water and not being able to catch my breath. All I could think was "I want off this plane!" I asked my husband to get me some water - FAST. When he brought it I couldn't drink it. The stewardess said "sip, breathe through your nose, in... out..." she was very kind and soothing. Hubby was in la la land and dumbfounded.

It was very scary and I was totally confused. The little sips and focusing on breathing helped calm me. Since that flight, I experienced it two more times - once in flight, once in a car. Very strange.

It was like all the people around me were depriving me of air. I've never experienced this during a life boat drill - been on about 18+ cruises. I dislike the life boat drills but only because I don't like wearing the jacket and having to stand for so long.

I like that one poster's view --- it marks the beginning of our long-awaited cruise! Good thinking!

Hey, Bennett... how goes it? 109 days to cruising!!!

I never knew what a panic attack was until one night on a late flight to Los Angeles. I had been asleep, awoke, and could not breathe! It was like coming up from under water and not being able to catch my breath. All I could think was "I want off this plane!" I asked my husband to get me some water - FAST. When he brought it I couldn't drink it. The stewardess said "sip, breathe through your nose, in... out..." she was very kind and soothing. Hubby was in la la land and dumbfounded.

Also, a small paper bag (like a lunch bag) put to your mouth to breathe in and out of. I think the bag is supposed to make you concentrate on your breathing;)

Hard to sip water when you can't breathe.

Cosmopolitan

The lack of sympathy and understanding was largely due to the fact that the original post started off like this....

"I AM NOT GOING TO THE LIFEBOAT DRILL!"

IF the poster had of simply stated the problem she had with panic attacks and the fear she had of attending the drill and having an attack occur, the reaction from a lot of us would have been totally different.

I am not a bad guy, but some folks think that rules dont apply to them and that was my first impression from the way her post began.

I didn't want to offend anyone when I said it might be "mind over matter". I have had panic attacks so severe that I was in the emergency room of a hospital. I just wanted to say that in my case, I am so excited about being on a cruise that my usual problems don't occur. I hope I haven't jinxed myself just in time for our upcoming cruise. :confused:

Ok people, somebody must know the real answer for me here. I'm NOT GOING TO THE LIFE BOAT DRILL! What will they do to me if I don't? I go into a full blown panic attack everytime I do one of those things, so this time I'm really, seriously considering just skipping it. I mean what would they really do if anything? Has anybody ever skipped one before? What happened? My dh is a little panicky himself.... at the thought of me not going. HELP!

Oh you will attend the lifeboat drill. They will find you.

I just got off the Spirit in November and names were checked. Every life vest has a number on it and there were crew members with check lists and they take it very seriously. We stood outside until everyone was accounted for.

Once they do find you, you might want to lay low...because the passengers that saw that you were the one holding them up from having the drill end and getting back to their cruise will be mighty pissed.

Ok...here's where I should have read all the pages before posting....sorry about the panic attacks...

Seriously. I can't imagine having to go through that. Still, you need to notify someone ahead of time. Maybe they can make arrangements for you???

Now I need to go back and read everything......

good luck to you.

Ok, I did speed read but unless I missed it, no one suggested that you talk to someone before the drill??? If you put on the lifejacket and head out there and actually talk to the crew member that will be waiting at your muster station, explain your situation, I'm sure he'll be able to position you in a place in the front so you aren't smooshed by people. I highly suggest NOT going out there and screaming, "IM NOT GOING TO STAY FOR THIS MUSTER DRILL!!" ;)

I don't think telling them you are sick is wise...one poster stated that they'll probably immediately panic and put you in quarantine and I'm thinking he/she may be right. With all the noro attacking NCL ships lately, I think you need to be specific about your panic attacks and not just clain to be 'sick'.

I used to work on a 4-5 day carnival cruise out of New Orleans and there was always a wedding on board. The wedding would take place before we set sail so that guests could attend the wedding but not attend the cruise. Anyways once the wedding was over boat drill would begin and the poor bride would be on deck in her gown and life jacket, same with the groom. It was kind of funny to see! But I can imagine it was pretty warm for them and not really how the wanted to spend their first few minutes of marriage, lol

Also, a small paper bag (like a lunch bag) put to your mouth to breathe in and out of. I think the bag is supposed to make you concentrate on your breathing;)

Hard to sip water when you can't breathe.

Ha! I never thought of a paper bag - I was hyperventilating! Thank you very much for that. I'll pack a small one in my pocket from now on. I didn't even think it could be hyperventilating. I just knew I couldn't breathe.

Thanks!

Tony and Gina,

Well, sounds like a mutiny to me! LOL. I've missed many a muster drill, and have endured many a drill as well. I've never had to have a make up drill.

As always, some seem to know it all yet their empathy skills pretty much suck. My ex had panic attacks and I understand your pain. You can hang with me if you want to miss it, or go with me if you want to attend!

mar

And if they throw her off the ship at the first stop, you going with her then too?

Ok people, somebody must know the real answer for me here. I'm NOT GOING TO THE LIFE BOAT DRILL! What will they do to me if I don't? I go into a full blown panic attack everytime I do one of those things, so this time I'm really, seriously considering just skipping it. I mean what would they really do if anything? Has anybody ever skipped one before? What happened? My dh is a little panicky himself.... at the thought of me not going. HELP!

While they are waiting and waiting for you, and then looking for you, others of us who may be claustrophobic (like me) are sweating it out on deck and about to faint because of others crowded around us.

If you have a real problem, please handle it with them ahead of time. Don't just NOT GO. It's very unfair to the rest of us.

My wife has been on many cruises, but cannot stand for extended periods of time, due to an inner-ear imbalance that causes dizziness. If the drill is to be held outside, when we board she reports to the purser's office and explains why she cannot attend the drill. She has never been thrown off a ship -- they just note her name and cabin as someone needing special assistance in the event of an emergency. When I attend, if they ask me why she is not there, I tell them she reported to the purser's office, check with them.

So, anyone with a disability (including panic attacks) only needs to report it to the proper authorities on-board. One time my wife took a chance and went to the (outdoor) drill. After standing there for 20 minutes, she finally fainted -- and believe me it was more of a bother to the ship's officers than just reporting to them why she cannot attend.

If they hold it inside (as they do increasingly these days), it is not a problem and she attends.

Well said. That's the reasonable way to handle it, and it makes it fair to the rest of us who suffer from claustrophobia and don't want to wait and wait for latecomers (or no-shows).

Archived