Please help me choose a driver! Rome/Naples

Check out APTours. We (and 3 other couples) used them on our recent Brilliance cruise for Naples.

It was a perfect day. We walked out of the pier area and there he was with our name on a large card.... nice new 9 passenger van.

They also arranged a private guide for us at Pompeii (thank you Pina - she was great) and tickets for the ferry from Sorrento back to Naples. We all voted and decided to take the ferry back (30 minutes) versus driving back over the road we had already been on (1 hr) so we had more time in Ravello, Amalfi and Positano.

I would use them again in a heartbeat.

We would be first time cruisers and are trying to decide if the cruise is a reasonable option...it seems that you're paying quite a bit for the cruise, then having to pay when you get off the ship to see the sights. Any thoughts on the cost of all this, vs. getting a car and driving to these cities or even taking the train?

We would be first time cruisers and are trying to decide if the cruise is a reasonable option...it seems that you're paying quite a bit for the cruise, then having to pay when you get off the ship to see the sights. Any thoughts on the cost of all this, vs. getting a car and driving to these cities or even taking the train?

We usually try to rent a car and "do our own thing". But while in Europe (especially the Amalfi coast) we bit the bullet and did some private tours and other cruiseline tours. DH really enjoyed himself as he did not have to drive and "saw" alot more ! There are pros and cons to doing it each way. With a tour you don't have to "think" or plan things out. Or wait for a train on a schedule. Fortunately there are many "on your own" ships tours which pretty much just provide the transportation to a place and then give you free time to explore "on your own" and be back at a certain time for your ride back to the ship. These we found to be really nice. We also enjoyed the private tours we took.... albeit they were more expensive. We shared some with other cruisemates from contacts from our roll call.

Thoughts on the cost - we pretty much feel that there was no way we could have done a land vacation for 13 days/nights to 6 countries for what we paid for this trip. All our expenses (ALL) including 2 nights precruise in Rome and 1 night post cruise in Barcelona, taxis, tips, souveniers, meals, our onboard account, tours and airfare (etc etc) .... was $ 8500.00 We did not skimp in any of the above categories either. We did a $600.00 private tour in Rome of the Vatican and also the Coliseum/Forum. This figure divided by 13 days works out to 653.85 per day for 2 people. Or $326.93 per person. FOR EVERYTHING. With the crummy conversion rate for dollars to euro right now we thought we did pretty good. And we had an amazing time !

Check out APTours. We (and 3 other couples) used them on our recent Brilliance cruise for Naples.

It was a perfect day. We walked out of the pier area and there he was with our name on a large card.... nice new 9 passenger van.

They also arranged a private guide for us at Pompeii (thank you Pina - she was great) and tickets for the ferry from Sorrento back to Naples. We all voted and decided to take the ferry back (30 minutes) versus driving back over the road we had already been on (1 hr) so we had more time in Ravello, Amalfi and Positano.

I would use them again in a heartbeat.

We are using APTours for Naples in May - doing the exact thing you did. I can't wait! Glad to hear how good they are.

As for Rome we are scheduled with Fabrizio with All around Italy. I have heard good things about him.

missty

I was just looking at AP tours website again and noticed something I thought would be good for some people. In their "special offers" area they will post info on people if they want to "share the tour" I thought that was a great idea for some.

missty

I am trying to decide between Rome Cabs, Drive Amalfi,

and benvenutolimos.

Who would you choose? Thank you so much in advance!!!!!

Denise

For Rome I would choose Stefano Costantini of Rome Cabs,Stefano's email address is romecabs@yahoo.com and for Naples it has to be Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi,Salvatore's email addresss is ***** both are experts in their local areas

So funny that you say that, cause that is exactly who we chose! Salvatore has been very detailed through email and he recommended Rome Cabs for Rome.

I am hoping to do Florence and Nice on my own. With an infant, it was really important for me to do the private tour for Rome and Amalfi, because of all there is to do and the stops. I feel safer also, being able to put her in a car seat and being able to take a break in the car for nursing/nap, etc.

We'll see, Europe with a baby sounds crazy I know, but we are bringin grandma, so hopefully it works out. If I don't do it now, I know it will be years and years away, with the hopes to have another child soon.

Thanks for all the posts, it is very much appreciated!!!

Denise-

Archived