Snuba and High Blood Pressure

TravelGal22

I wanted to do Snuba in Mexico but when I read the website of the place that offers it, it said people with hight blood pressure should not do it. My boyfriend is being treated for high blood pressure and his doctor said that he shouldn't go. I'm wondering if she is just covering her @*#. Do any of you who snuba or scuba have high blood pressure?

Hi,

There's a good article on this subject here:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=11

I'm sure it depends on how high, how much it is in control, and so on. And yes, IMO, doctors are usually covering their ---'s by telling you not to go, but I am not a doctor so I'd suggest you read more on the subject before you make a decision.

SignalK

Hi, It really depends on his blood pressure. Is it controlled? What kind of medicine is he on? I scuba dive a lot and have high blood pressure but it is controlled and I don't go more than 2 atmospheres (60ft.) I think snuba is only about 18 to 20 ft which I think would be perfectly safe. But there is always a chance. Has he ever had ANY heart problems? What is his age? Weight? Does he exercise at all? Just remember if he experiencing any funny feelings while he is snubaing make a fast asend. Which is perfectly safe if he doesn't go below 60ft. This is just my opinion and not medical advice. There is a Dive safety council you can call toll free called DAN 800-446-2671 www.danismybuddy.com He will have to sign a medical release form which I do saying I am perfectly healthy or they won't let you go. That is just to cover their butts. Again, just my opinion. Peace, Robyn

My boyfriend is being treated for high blood pressure and his doctor said that he shouldn't go. I'm wondering if she is just covering her @*#. Do any of you who snuba or scuba have high blood pressure?

Hi,

Sorry, have to disagree. If he informed his doctor that he was going into the water with his current physical conditions and medications and the doctor said, "No", I'd not go. I have controlled high blood pressure and dive often and talk to my doctor every 90 days about my physical condition, my dive experiences and the medications I'm on and he has ok'ed me to continue. He's not a dive doctor but has learning more about the conditions I go through as a diver since I'm one of his patients. If you question your doctor's opinion, get another one but don't ignore it. You can snorkel and still have a wonderful time without having to concern yourself with the effects of added pressure on your circulatory system (as you dive into the water the atmospheric pressure increases on your body, 33ft. 2 atmos., 66ft. 3 atmos. etc. thus providing addition internal and external pressure on your body). At 20-30ft. your boyfriend will be putting around 2 atmos. of pressure on his system, snorkeling on the surface is 1 atmos. Don't underestimate the effects of this added pressure on the body's blood vessels.

Sorry, better safe than sorry,

Randall

There will always be people who snuba (or scuba) dive against doctor's advice. Like scubaran, my doctor takes the time to find out about things like scuba diving so she can give informed advice.

Regardless of whether or not you believe your doctor, the people who dive with high blood pressure and live will be the people giving you advice. The people with high blood pressure who died will not be able to give you advice. Something to think about.

There are a lot of things to consider. As people have pointed out, age, what medications he is taking, physical health, etc. His doctor will know about all the factors that might affect him. Without full medical transcripts, it would be hard for someone else to give as informed a decision.

Someone also mentioned the increased pressure. Typically, they don't bring you down more than 30 feet. This is because someone in good health will be able to swim to the surface in one breath from 30 feet.

The things to note: (a) if there is equipment failure, he might not be able to make it to the surface in one breath, (b) if he fails to inform them of his medical condition and something goes wrong, they won't be prepared to help him, © moving under water to significantly harder than moving in air; think about running on land versus running in waist deep water. Running in water is much hard. Imagine the effort when completely submerged.

He could very easily overexert himself. I don't know how snuba works but I'd assume it is similar to a scuba regulator. If you overexert yourself, you can easily over-breath your air supply. The lack of air can escalate due to a feeling of anxiety and suffocation.

I'd look at this as "is snuba worth risking my life?" For me the answer is no but maybe he doesn't think it is that big a risk.

The link to the Divers Alert Network (DAN) is a good place to research this. In addition to the article SignalK has recommended, have a look at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=79.

There will always be people who snuba (or scuba) dive against doctor's advice. Like scubaran, my doctor takes the time to find out about things like scuba diving so she can give informed advice.

Regardless of whether or not you believe your doctor, the people who dive with high blood pressure and live will be the people giving you advice. The people with high blood pressure who died will not be able to give you advice. Something to think about.

There are a lot of things to consider. As people have pointed out, age, what medications he is taking, physical health, etc. His doctor will know about all the factors that might affect him. Without full medical transcripts, it would be hard for someone else to give as informed a decision.

Someone also mentioned the increased pressure. Typically, they don't bring you down more than 30 feet. This is because someone in good health will be able to swim to the surface in one breath from 30 feet.

The things to note: (a) if there is equipment failure, he might not be able to make it to the surface in one breath, (b) if he fails to inform them of his medical condition and something goes wrong, they won't be prepared to help him, © moving under water to significantly harder than moving in air; think about running on land versus running in waist deep water. Running in water is much hard. Imagine the effort when completely submerged.

He could very easily overexert himself. I don't know how snuba works but I'd assume it is similar to a scuba regulator. If you overexert yourself, you can easily over-breath your air supply. The lack of air can escalate due to a feeling of anxiety and suffocation.

I'd look at this as "is snuba worth risking my life?" For me the answer is no but maybe he doesn't think it is that big a risk.

The link to the Divers Alert Network (DAN) is a good place to research this. In addition to the article SignalK has recommended, have a look at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=79.

... Just remember if he experiencing any funny feelings while he is snubaing make a fast asend. Which is perfectly safe if he doesn't go below 60ft...

Actually, a fast ascent could be very dangerous... a great way to die. Particularly so for a new diver. New divers are more likely to panic and hold their breath. Breath holding during ascent is a virtual guarantee of major medical problems... Pneumothorax (collapsed lung), subcutaneous emphysema, mediastinal emphysema, or arterial gas embolism can result from barotrauma to the lungs. That can cause permanent disability or death.

Barotrauma injuries can happen in less than 10ft of water. They require breathing compressed gas (such as scuba or snuba), and do not apply to breath hold diving where you do not breath underwater.

Rapid ascents are not recommended, and a competent instructor will force you to do the slowest ascent that is reasonable given the situation.

As to high blood pressure and diving... the greater concern is how high blood pressure may indicate other cardiovascular issues. Well controlled high blood pressure in a patient without other cardiovascular problems is generally not a contraindication to diving. However, the advice and signed consent of a competent doctor is required.

Archived