Dolphin Experience in Nassau for 5 year old

kaerofan

RCCL goes to "Blue Lagoon" Dolphin Encounter. You want the one called the "close dophin encounter" not the "Dolphin Swim"

I have been to this particular one twice and once in Freeport. I've taken my kids when they were as young as 2...so believe me it is very safe.

Everyone sits on the edge of a big floating swimming pool. About 6 groups of 2 enter the water (it's about 4 feet deep, I held my oldest). Then you toe up to the edge and the dolphins swim up to you...perform some behaviors (they kiss you) and you can buy the picture.

You spend about 10 minutes in the water and about 45 minutes watching everyone else.

It's really cute. I have read that if you try to call Discovery Dolphin directly they tell you that it's all sold out to cruiseships. But you can try it. We always went with the cruislelines.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi~ We also did the Dolphin Swim and Dolphin Encounter in Nassau/Paradise Island. We were on Disney but booked directly through Dolphin Encounter on the web. Through Disney, you could only book the encounter and 3 of us wanted to do the swim...If you book the "encounter" and there are still open swim spots available, you can pay for the upgrade once you are there.

Those that did the encounter enjoyed it. You do NOT need to be a swimmer for either. Those of us that did the Swim (me, DD6 at the time and MIL) absolutely LOVED it. Everyone has to wear lifevests (the ski type that work well).

We enjoyed it so much that we bought the video and some awesome pics. We took a taxi from pier to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. When it was over, the ferry took us directly back to cruise ship pier in Nassau.

Hope this helps!:)

RCCL goes to "Blue Lagoon" Dolphin Encounter. You want the one called the "close dophin encounter" not the "Dolphin Swim"

I have been to this particular one twice and once in Freeport. I've taken my kids when they were as young as 2...so believe me it is very safe.

Everyone sits on the edge of a big floating swimming pool. About 6 groups of 2 enter the water (it's about 4 feet deep, I held my oldest). Then you toe up to the edge and the dolphins swim up to you...perform some behaviors (they kiss you) and you can buy the picture.

You spend about 10 minutes in the water and about 45 minutes watching everyone else.

It's really cute. I have read that if you try to call Discovery Dolphin directly they tell you that it's all sold out to cruiseships. But you can try it. We always went with the cruislelines.

I've been on this excursion, and this is a good description. No actual swimming is involved; you stand on a metal "grate", and you're in water up to about your waist. Of course, that's pretty high on a five-year old. One of our daughters was five when we did this, and she was terrified when she saw how big the dolphin was -- she ended up getting out and sitting on the dock, but she's not exactly an adventerous-type child. To avoid such a disappointment, you should talk to your child ahead of time about the dolphin being big but friendly.

I called and tried to make reservations with this place individually, but -- as you said -- the response was that the cruise ship buys out the whole excursion. Having been there myself, I can say with certainty that this is one excursion that you really do need to buy from the cruise ship (though that goes rather contrary to my usual opinion!). Why? Because Blue Lagoon Island is a long ferry ride away from the cruise ships, and I don't know how you'd get there if you didn't have the ship's transportation.

The island beach is very nice, and when we went (with Disney) we were told that the ferry would return twice in the afternoon -- we could choose whether to return on the early trip or the late trip, depending upon whether we wanted to stay longer on the island or not.

The dolphin excursion was really fun, and I'm glad we did it. It's not the kind of thing that you'd want to do on every cruise, but I might repeat it when my girls are teens -- if they requested it.

One funny thing: Our guide told us that the dolphin with whom we interacted was named McGuiver, and he was the star of the remake of the movie Flipper (the one staring Elijah Wood). We thought that was really cool, and back at home I bought the movie for my girls so they could see "their" dolphin again. Then -- a couple years later -- a friend who'd done a simliar excursion on a different island told me that they'd "met" a dolphin named -- well, I can't remember the name they heard -- who was the star of the remake of the movie Flipper . . . I don't know who was lied to (perhaps both of us), but those folks down in the Caribbean know what tourists like to hear, and they pass stories around!

Our 4 year old had a similar reaction to Mrs. Pete's daughter (I wasn't on the excursion - did the swim with older DD - but heard about it from hubbie). She did NOT like the dolphin getting close to her initially. However, she warmed up and we have an adorable picture of her with the dolphin and her dad after a few minutes of "getting used" to it. She also is not an adventerous child. Our older DD6 (who is tiny), on the other hand, loved the dolphins and jumped right in and swam with them. (As I said, she was on a different tour in a different part of the facility)

You can get to Blue Lagoon on your own - we did it. You book on-line. At the pier, take a taxi (regular taxi, not water taxi) across to Paradiese Island to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal (it is across from the Atlantis). It is a 5-10 minute taxi ride and we paid less than $30 for a whole van of us. Then you get picked up at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal by the water shuttle (a very large ferry) and taken to Blue Lagoon Island. On the way back, the ferry goes directly to the cruise ship pier first and you just get off there.

I was VERY concerned as I was the one who roped our entire extended family into doing this but transporation worked out with no problems and all enjoyed it (with those of us doing the swim enjoying it more!). We paid less doing it on our own and the swim was not offered through the cruiseline. On the swim, you end with a "toe push" where 2 dolphins push you by your feet up and out of the water and then across the entire lagoon. It was truly awesome!

I hope this helps...I found alot of info before we did this excursion on the disboards under "Disney Cruise Line" forum.

Have fun!

Can anyone recommend a good dolphin experience for myself and my 5 year old in Nassau? We're sailing on RCL and we're not good swimmers however she loves dolphins? TIA:)

Does anyone know how much it costs to swim with the dolphins in Bahamas?

I know that we payed 140 $ for a swim in Xcaret, Mexico, 70 for the adult, 70 for the child. The DVD they filmed was 40$ and every picture they took if i remember correct was 15 or 20$ So it adds upp pretty fast.. You could not bring your own camera in the area of the dolphins :mad:

BUT remember as some pointed out that not all children likes this, our daughter was 3 and she is adventorus but was still a little shy in the beginning, after 5 minutes she loved it. But I saw some parents with smaller children that had to get out of the water since the children were crying. I did not swim with our 1,5 year old since I would have known his reaction in advance :eek: It would have been totally wasted 140$...

One funny thing: Our guide told us that the dolphin with whom we interacted was named McGuiver, and he was the star of the remake of the movie Flipper (the one staring Elijah Wood). We thought that was really cool, and back at home I bought the movie for my girls so they could see "their" dolphin again. Then -- a couple years later -- a friend who'd done a simliar excursion on a different island told me that they'd "met" a dolphin named -- well, I can't remember the name they heard -- who was the star of the remake of the movie Flipper . . . I don't know who was lied to (perhaps both of us), but those folks down in the Caribbean know what tourists like to hear, and they pass stories around!

HAHAHAHAHA! We were told the flipper story too!!!!! Now I feel taken advantage of...LOL! ;)

EL MONO -

Which cruiseline? And you mean the dolphin "close encounter" and not the swim, right? They don't allow small children to do the swim in the Bahamas. Each cruiseline has a different price so if you let me know who's taking you then I'll look for the price. :)

HAHAHAHAHA! We were told the flipper story too!!!!! Now I feel taken advantage of...LOL! ;)

EL MONO -

Which cruiseline? And you mean the dolphin "close encounter" and not the swim, right? They don't allow small children to do the swim in the Bahamas. Each cruiseline has a different price so if you let me know who's taking you then I'll look for the price. :)

It was not on a cruise, we were two weeks in Playa Del Carmen and your correct, it was not the swim, it was the "encounter"

I doubt that they would allow children in Xcaret that can't swim to do the "full" dolphin swim. But we didn't look at the age limits since it wasn't interesting for us. We just did the encounter experience and it was really fun but ended up quite expensive..

Were planing a RCI cruise in caribbean in 2010, don't know exactly what route yet, but how much would a dolphin "encounter" be in say Bahamas? Or in other places aswell if you have any info about it for 2 childs and 2 adults? . By that time our son will be 6 and will probably not be satisfied to stay at land while his sister swims....

Were planing a RCI cruise in caribbean in 2010, don't know exactly what route yet, but how much would a dolphin "encounter" be in say Bahamas? Or in other places aswell if you have any info about it for 2 childs and 2 adults? . By that time our son will be 6 and will probably not be satisfied to stay at land while his sister swims....

It's $118 per adult AND $118 per child. Got this from the RCCL site. And hey it does say Flipper lives there :)

This is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure for anyone who has dreamed of an encounter with a dolphin. This wonderful facility is home to Universal Studio's Flipper, who starred in the 1996 movie. You'll board a powered catamaran for a short ride to Blue Lagoon Island, where the Dolphin Encounter is located. Once ashore, a guide will introduce you to the fascinating world of the dolphin, including information on its life, anatomy, echolocation and the environment in which it lives. Afterwards, you will be led to a floating platform, where your encounter will take place. Have your picture taken while kissing a dolphin (photos can be purchased separately). Learn about the anatomy of a real dolphin as you stand in waist-deep water petting and feeding a dolphin. Lastly, you'll have 30 minutes of free time to relax, browse through the souvenir shop or check out the photos of you and the dolphin. Your catamaran will then return you to your ship.

Note: Swim suits and towels are recommended. Guests may bring a change of clothing if desired. A gift shop is located on the facility accepting cash, Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

Perhaps neither was lying. Many films that star animals use more than ONE to complete all of the required scenes. Movies use the same tactics with young children sometimes (look at Mary-Kate and Ashley)

It was not on a cruise, we were two weeks in Playa Del Carmen and your correct, it was not the swim, it was the "encounter"

I doubt that they would allow children in Xcaret that can't swim to do the "full" dolphin swim. But we didn't look at the age limits since it wasn't interesting for us. We just did the encounter experience and it was really fun but ended up quite expensive..

We did the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel (2007) and in Chaakanab (2006). I enjoyed them both. The age limit was 8 for the swim. So my nieces and their dad and I went in one area and my sister and nephew went to another for the encounter. My nephew who was six had a blast. He kissed the dolphin, hugged the dolphin, danced with the dolphin and sang their ABCs together.

Archived