Where's the beef (from)?

bobbygirl

When DH orders "blue", he usually adds "just warmed up" and I'll add "it has to moo" and they get the point. French restaurants usually get it right, and there's a neighbourhood Greek restaurant that has a mini-brochette of filet mignon that is usually right on as well. But he maintains that it's never quite as good as at home.

Funniest experience was at an all-inclusive in Dominican Republic. We were disappointed with the food (except the grilled lobster) and decided to try the "French" restaurant. Well, the only thing that was French was the decor and service. (It was also spotlessly clean compared to the rest of the dining areas, some of which smelled like the exterminator had passed by but I digress....). He asked for his meat done blue as usual, and they brought it medium. He told them it was wrong, but they didn't understand and thought it wasn't hot enough. So they bring it back 5 minutes later, MICROWAVED!!!!! So here we are, trying to explain with gestures and our few words of Spanish (una cervesa con limon por favor) and a little help from our kids who were taking Spanish at school, that it was overcooked! Finally we resorted to making cow sounds - MOOOO - so they understood! They brought another one, med-rare, but by that time DH gave up and ate it as is. He succeeded in finding a little grill at the lunch buffet where he could instruct the chef to yank little pieces of beef off the grill 30 seconds after contact...needless to say, the Dominican is not on our "hot list" of gourmet travel spots...

By the way, my son is a Habs fan, but DH is a Sens fan. It gets hot around my house when the teams play each other!

My SO usually just asks for his steak dead:eek: and plate it LOL.. they don't get that either..:p

He is a Sens fan... Leafs fan here.. so we have 2 tv's to watch the games when they play against each other:D

But I must say again that he has always been pleased with his steaks at the supper club.. he always gets the 24oz porterhouse..;)

:cool: :cool: I can honestly say that I have eaten blue for probably 35 years and no problems but I certainly would say to people read his post - because I choose to take a risk does not mean you have to. The way beef is treated lately, I trust it but this is not to say it is safe. Once again read his post and decide for yourself. Cindy:cool: :cool:

I agree it is not for everyone.. too each their own;)

That's the thing - kids & DH did ask for blue and the steaks although cooked to order, were dry. That's what got us wondering about the provenance of the meat, because it was so unusually dry. Maybe just an off batch of steaks...

We didn't ask where the meat was from .. and we were on the same cruise as you.. maybe you did get an off batch.. cause there were no complaints from the 3 of us.

LOL great blend ya do have I must say:D

Sorry no more cruises this year just finished one on Saturday.. now have to wait 410 days:(

You must try the supper club on the Liberty and ask for that blue steak.. we have been to the supper club 3 times on 3 different ships and have not been disappointed yet:)

:cool: :cool: Already booked for Harry's and hate to say it but Lamb is calling me - because my husband cooks my steaks blue so well I want something I can't normally have. Okay - my family doesn't like blue but hell they don't like lamb either. Anyone want to adopt me. I have actually printed off a menu so I can see what I can order. PLEASE TELL US ABOUT CRUISE - WE GO OUT ON LIBERTY FEB 16TH AND WANT TO KNOW ALL. CINDY

We were sorely tempted to ask where it was from, but we're too shy/embarassed/polite/Canadian to ask...:o

:cool: :cool: Ain't that the truth. I am getting much more in your face now though, as you can tell from my posts. So when I am on the ship I will ask "where's the beef" ..................from. Cindy:cool: :cool:

:cool: :cool: Already booked for Harry's and hate to say it but Lamb is calling me - because my husband cooks my steaks blue so well I want something I can't normally have. Okay - my family doesn't like blue but hell they don't like lamb either. Anyone want to adopt me. I have actually printed off a menu so I can see what I can order. PLEASE TELL US ABOUT CRUISE - WE GO OUT ON LIBERTY FEB 16TH AND WANT TO KNOW ALL. CINDY

They did have lamb chops that looked great..I think the guy next to us was having them.. he seemed to be enjoying it..

What is there to tell.. it was a fantastic cruise couldn't ask for more.. except that we should still be onboard loved it all.. We had to canc our Liberty cruise last Oct.. but this cruise on the Freedom made up for it.. you will have a blast.. do check out the movie screen .. We never did hit any bars until the last night.. lido deck pool bar was my spot for the cruise when not in port..:D We went Western not sure which way you are going?

We are going Western - Cozumel, Panama and costa Rica - so looking forward to it. Three feet of snow and counting. Cindy

All I can recommend is Paradise Beach in Cozumel.. cost us $13 cab ride each way.. if you go PB Tom is fantastic as is his staff and Tom is a Canadiens fan...!!:p

:cool: :cool: Blue rare is about a quarter of an inch raw in the centre and then rare to the outside. Rare is usually cooked right through but rare. I am reading this and doesn't make sense to me so probably doesn't to you Sorry. Cindy:cool: :cool:

thanks for the explanations!! I prefer medium. DH likes medium rare. Don't think I could do blue aka raw.

But each to his own. Saves cooking time:D blue beef and sushi!

Just back from Imagination. Overall experience in the dining room was better than expected however beef was somewhat dissapointing.... especially the strip steak that was available every night. I order my steaks Med Rare and they typically came out Med Rare to Medium.

Archived