Question about "Munchie Time"

BuilderMan

There are certain times of the day when we all have the munchie cravings. Right? Mine is in the evening, after dinner and doggie walk when I park myself in front of the TV. I can be real good all day and fall flat on my face during this time.

My question is...What do each of you do to avoid eating forbidden foods or overdoing the legal ones during your munchie times?

Lynn

Lynn,

First I'm curious about your screen name being BuilderMan.

To answer your question, I find something else to do. That's when I maybe finish cleaning the kitchen if it wasn't completed, empty the dishwasher, make my lunch for the next day. Or I'll go up to the computer and play/work there.

I've also gotten into the habit of drinking coffee (decaf - don't want to be up all night). That help's quite a bit. I'm not as likely to eat if I'm drinking something (and I can only handle so much water). I use Sweet 'N Lo or Equal. However, recently Coffee Mate has come out with a low-cal flavored creamer that's 1/2 the calories of even the fat free creamer.

Hope this helps,

Marc

I make a big pot of green tea...drink the whole pot and make myself some healthy nibbles.

I am on South Beach...so these are more for that style of eating:

Celery stuffed with:

deviled egg (1 hard boiled egg mashed with chopped onion tsp of mayo and salt and pepper,

light cream cheese plain or with a trace coating of jalepeno jelly,

lite cheese whiz,

Peanut butter.

Lettuce wrapped with:

cream cheese,

sandwich meat(turkey/chicken based)

sandwich spread of any kind.

tuna salad

salmon salad

egg salad

Pick me up foods:

Cherry tomatoes

sliced cucumber

mushrooms

olives

pickles

almonds

pecans

peanuts

celery

any vege cut in pieces (No carrots or corn) for us carb eliminators

And the list goes on and on

I work in an office all day and can eat as I should during the day. Then I come home, have a healthy dinner, get on the treadmill and park myself in front of the computer or TV. That's my downfall time too. I am doing WW and I plan a snack for every night. It's just something I build into my program. Typically it is a fatfree yogurt and piece of fruit, or some low fat graham crackers. Or even 1/2 cup of light ice cream (measure it!). I don't see any point in fighting the cravings; it's better to plan something that is "legal" than to cheat myself. One tip: I tried buying the WW ice cream snacks which come in two-packs. Unfortunately they are so good that I'd eat one and then go back for the other. I don't buy them anymore. I also don't keep anything in the house that calls my name (Snickers, chocolate cookies, etc.) My DH supports my weight loss efforts and eats his chocolately goodies when he goes out; he knows I can't have them in the house.

Joy

Lynn-I am just like you. I do great all day and then can blow it an hour before bedtime. I try really hard not to. I also do like Joy does and I plan extra calories for evening. I usually have 200 in the evening. My favorites are a bag of smart pop, popcorn, or a bagel and cream cheese.

There have been times where I have had certain healthy foods around, and I have overeaten them. I never buy the WW frozen desserts anymore either.

Considering that evening is the only time DH and I have time to unwind, we always sit an watch TV, so finding other activities to do is out for me. So far I have done okay most of the time, but I do have to be aware nightly that it is my danger zone.

Angie

Eat healthy before to make sure you don't get hungry. We've all heard how eating more often, though smaller meals will boost our metabolism and help us lose weight. If it is in the afternoon/evening it may be to a drop in blood sugar. Don't give in for the sweets and eat a high protein moderate fat meal and your blood sugar should return to normal within 30 mins.

-- Lost all the weight I needed to and have kept it off for 15 months :)

Archived