I want to try shave ice

flamomo

We'll be in the Diamond in mid-March. I have read quite a few mentions of shave ice and would really like to try it.

Does anyone know if there's a place to get it on Front Street in Lahina? We may be going to Kaanapali - has anyone seen it there?

We'll be in the Diamond in mid-March. I have read quite a few mentions of shave ice and would really like to try it.

Does anyone know if there's a place to get it on Front Street in Lahina? We may be going to Kaanapali - has anyone seen it there?

I'm not sure about Kaanapali or Lahaina, but when we were on the Diamond last month we had the best shave ices in Kona at a place called Scandinavian Shave Ice. it is just across and slightly over from the pier where you tender in at the end of Alii Dr. and next to an ABC store. They shave the ice right in front of you and they are huge!! They have tons of unique flavors to choose from and they are delicious. I was certain my kids would never finish theirs because they were so massive, but they did. It was a great end to our day in Kona.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a shave ice place in Lahaina - they are all over the place and will offer you all sorts of flavor adventure - try Lilikoi- my favorite! If you don't see half a dozen shops, look in any ice cream parlor and they will usually also serve shave ice.

Charlie

I'm not sure about Kaanapali or Lahaina, but when we were on the Diamond last month we had the best shave ices in Kona at a place called Scandinavian Shave Ice. it is just across and slightly over from the pier where you tender in at the end of Alii Dr. and next to an ABC store. They shave the ice right in front of you and they are huge!! They have tons of unique flavors to choose from and they are delicious. I was certain my kids would never finish theirs because they were so massive, but they did. It was a great end to our day in Kona.
I was also counting on my youngest not finishing his...but he did; DW was smarter and ordered one of her own;)

LOCAL SECRET: ask for a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of shaved ice. As you hold the cone, the ice cream will melt and mix with the ice and flavorings at the of the cup and give you a creamy treat!

Topher's "Incredibly Useful TRAVEL Information"

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/useful-info.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I remember that there was an ice cream shop on Front Street close to the pier. I'll check that out. Plus I'll be on the lookout as we go about the various Islands.

As you exit the pier in Lahaina, walk up to Front Street and go about 3 blocks to the left and there is a good ice cream shop that has shaved ice. It is on the same side of the street as Pioneer Inn so no need to cross the street.

• Administrators
LOCAL SECRET: ask for a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of shaved ice. As you hold the cone, the ice cream will melt and mix with the ice and flavorings at the of the cup and give you a creamy treat!

Topher's "Incredibly Useful TRAVEL Information"

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/useful-info.html

Or "kick it up a notch" and ask for macadamia nut ice cream in the bottom. :)

wrp96- I think the one you are talking about is the one I was thinking of. I'll be checking it out in March.

Thanks to those who made the suggestion about adding the scoop of ice cream in the bottom of the cup. Sounds yummy.

wrp96- I think the one you are talking about is the one I was thinking of. I'll be checking it out in March.

Thanks to those who made the suggestion about adding the scoop of ice cream in the bottom of the cup. Sounds yummy.

I was just there last week and it wsa very good. I didn't try the ice cream though as I don't eat dairy but their flavors sounded really good.

Kick it up another notch and ask for "azuki beans" in with the ice cream.

The best shave ice we had on our two trips to Hawaii was on the island of Oahu at Matsumoto's and the place next door to it - Aoki's. These are both located on the North Shore in the town of Hale'iwa.

DW and I just got back from a week in Kona with my sister and BIL. We second your recommendation (and we've been to Matsumoto's, Aoki's and Waiola on Oahu).

Archived