Just Back Serenade of the Seas Sept. 5th

suzym

Just a brief note for now. The ship is beautiful. Alaska especially Hubbard Glacier was awesome. Lots of calving. The weather was in the mid 60's during the day and low 30's night time. We did not do any excursions so I can't report on that. BTW only 2 formal nights , 1 smart casual and the rest were casual. We were prepared for at least 2 more smart casual.

Any questions from those of you sailing on that last Alaskan cruise for the season next weekend?

Sue

Janice, We only took raincoats, therefore at the first port of call we bought a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. We were fine with these. We had brought stuff to layer but it wasn't quite warm enough for the morning temps. We found ourselves carrying our coats later in the day. The colors I didn't particularly notice in Alaska as much as I did in Seattle.

The food was good, it wasn't always as hot as I like it but it was not bad. We didn't eat in the specialty restaurants at all we splurged in the spa and had a hot stone massage instead. ( we probably could've eaten in the specialty restaurant every night for the price we paid for that!)

Also back to the weather it was quite chilly out on deck on the way to Hubbard Glacier. Several people had gloves and scarves it looked like a good idea. I ended up waiting in the solarium until we stopped at the glacier. Once we stopped it was probably in the low 60's a very comfortable temp for glacier viewing. If you are doing any cold weather excursions gloves and scarves could be needed.

We were in cabin 7090 it was just about center ship and very convienent to get just about anywhere. It was right off the centrum I was a little concerned about noise as they always had music down there every night. But those cabins were noise proof. I never heard a sound....

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Have a great time if I don't hear from you. Look for Wilfredo and Lilly in the dining room just about the best waiter and asst you could ask for.... Sue

Sue,

W we are on the Serenade this Sunday with Janice. We are thinking of eating in Chops. Which night do you suggest that we skip dinner in the dinning room and eat in Chops? And in the dinning room do you have any suggestions for foods that should not be missed?

By the way I'm the crazy one that is bringing a coat, but I'm very cold natured and want to be able to be outside on deck, so into the suitcase it goes:D .

Sue - like postalgrrl plan to try at least Chops - but don't want to miss lobster or prime rib in the dining room. So your least favorite dinner night was???

Which two night were the formal nights? I believe I read Monday was one, but don't think I've heard about the second.

We're on the 3 day count down...Can hardly wait!

Postalgrrl - I think if I lived in your warm weather I'd be bringing my coat too. I imagine that 50's would be a shock to your system. See you on board!

Were still trying to pack ourselves and spend the last 10 minutes discussing the pros & cons.

Way to stressfull so I decide to take a break and check the baords and to my surprise ......the coat debate.

Ps; The ski jackets with zipped out fleece lining is coming with me, I'll were it with the shorts I have packed if necessary.

2 days to go.....

Thursday is the 2nd fomal night from what I have read but its always subject to change.

Both Chops & Portfonos are excellent. We have been to both of them many times on various ships and plan to go again next week as this will be our 3rd time on the Serenade.

Just be mindful of the fact that it is a relaxed athomsphere and that you can be there anywhere from 2-3 hours depenging on how large your party is, time of reservation and how busy they are.

Plan wisely....

Happy sailing..

Shay

Yes, Monday and Thursday were formal. Probably my least favorite night was Wed. I believe that is the night they have pork chops, scrod and rack of lamb. Ask your server what they have that night early in your cruise I'm sure they will tell you. BTW I had rack of lamb that night. Although not a lamb eater by nature it was excellent.

Also prices were really starting to come down in the stores. However if you see something you like buy it. I thought I would see something similar in the Alaskan Shirt Co. however their stock was different in each store. There is not an Alaskan shirt store in Ketchikan. Prices were also higher in Ketchikan then anywhere else.

Remember some bonine regardless of what you think. We had 25 ft swells on Sat for about 12 hours. There were a lot of sick people on board. Also many sleepless moments since it hit at 0130. We were all very happy to reach the protected waterway of Vancouver Island.

Have a great time everyone I returned to work today and have a severe case of PCD. Sue PS I'll check tomorrow PM to see if there are more questions...

Archived