Rough Seas to Aruba???

jazzlover

We have several new cruisers going on the Smooth Jazz Cruise(Westerdam Jan 20) and some were questioning the typical sea conditions this time of year "All the way down to Aruba". Some are fearful of sea sickness. Anyone have any input? We're bringing along the typical remedies just in case.

We have several new cruisers going on the Smooth Jazz Cruise(Westerdam Jan 20) and some were questioning the typical sea conditions this time of year "All the way down to Aruba". Some are fearful of sea sickness. Anyone have any input? We're bringing along the typical remedies just in case.

We took the cruise in Dec and previously in March ... the seas did not seem particularly rough in the general area approaching Aruba, but we did not experience any gales or other storms ... you will see flying fish though.

harry

It can get a little bumpy going through the Windward Passage between eastern Cuba and Haiti. And then it smooths out, though sometimes we have found it also can be a little rough approaching Aruba. Our dining steward told us this our first night on our first cruise to the Southern Caribbean including Aruba and we have found it true on all cruises, but nothing we worry about. Just take some Bonine and you will be fine.

Since some people will worry about almost anything, just have them take the remedies just in case. As anyone who has had much experience cruising there is no such thing as predicting sea conditions in any particular area at any particular time of the year. That is what makes cruising so enjoyable; you can't predict, all you can do is plan for most eventualities. For everyone who might post and say they had no rough seas, you will find another who had the opposite experience:)

On the 11/23 sailing of the Volendam, we had rough seas from Half Moon Cay to Aruba. Force 9 winds and 7.5 to 12 foot seas. I had a crew member tell me high seas are common on that route. :confused:

I have been seasick numerous times (mostly on small boats) but didn't take the Bonine in time this trip because I was unaware of the possibility of rough seas. Thankfully, I was only a little icky. My husband, who never gets seasick, was really woozy. Take Bonine when you leave HMC and keep taking it, and you'll be fine. It works great when you take it before you feel sick.

Robin

The Florida Straits crossing to the Bahamas are usually very rocky and at that point you don't yet have your sea legs and your quilibrium hasn't adjusted to the motion. The best thing to do is to start taking one or 2 (depending how prone you are to seasickness) Bonine a night or two before you get on the ship and then take it every single night even if the seas are as calm as a lake. Then the medication (meclazine) is in your system and you are prepared no matter how the weather and seas may change. Taking it after you feel rocky is too late. (I'm very prone to motion sickness and have learned from experience.)

Archived