QM2 balcony cabins: List of differences.

RobertGraves

I have summed up the most important differences, pros and cons, between balcony cabins (not suites) on the QM2, a matter perhaps complicated a bit. Whatever I have forgotten or mistaken, please add or correct, so we can have a comprehensive view of balcony choices.

I would also propose to our honourable moderator to put this information at a visible place in the forum. I guess many new Cunard friends -or perhaps even some older ones- can benefit from this list.

So, summing it up:

B5/6 obstructed view cabins. (plexiglas railing)

Pros: They are really A-category cabins (see below) with lifeboats restricting their view. So:

They are very bright. The wall facing the balcony is all glass.

If you can find a cabin between two lifeboats, the plexiglas railing allows views from bed or when sitting.(Otherwise, either standing or sitting, you see only the sky.)

The boats outside are relatively far from the cabins and not intruding (some 10ft/3m).

Suitable for sunbathing.

In some ports lifeboats are lowered, allowing full view.

The most economical in price.

Cons:

The lifeboats are there and they certainly restrict the view. You see only the sky. (Except if you can find a place between two lifeboats, then some sea view is possible)

Sometimes people walking on the promenade below can see you on your balcony.

When the crew does maintaining of the lifeboats, remember to close the curtains.

B4-1 sheltered (in-hull) balcony cabins. (steel railing)

Pros:

Unlimited view when standing at the balcony.

Almost total privacy. You can be naked on the balcony and nobody takes notice.

The balcony is wider than B5/6 or A-category cabins.

They are located on the lower levels of the ship, presumably allowing for less rolling or pitching.

View straight to the sea below.

In a transatlantic crossing, nicely protected from the winds.

In warm climates, you can have your door open at night and hear the sound of the waves as the ship is moving...

Relatively economical in price.

Cons:

Steel railing. No sea view from bed or when sitting on the balcony chairs: you see only the sky.

Limited brightness.

Virtually unsuitable for sunbathing.

A3-1, AA deluxe balcony cabins. (plexiglas railing)

Pros:

They are very bright. The wall facing the balcony is all glass.

The plexiglas railing allows unlimited view from the balcony, either standing or sitting. Ideal for a coffee/tea, breakfast or even lunch at the balcony.

Nice sea/port views from bed or when sitting inside the cabin.

Suitable for sunbathing.

And certainly AA cabins allow one-sitting dining and your own table for both breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Club part of the Britannia restaurant.

Cons:

High on the ship, presumably they are more prone to stronger pitching and rolling.

People on the promenade can perhaps see you on your balcony.

Higher price.

Cons:

High on the ship, presumably they are more prone to stronger pitching and rolling.

Higher price.

And I would add as a con, unsuitable for crossings due to wind and spray as they are unsheltered.

Otherwise, very good, thanks for taking the trouble.

And I would add as a con, unsuitable for crossings due to wind and spray as they are unsheltered.

I don't think this applies to the A3 cabins on 8 deck - but does to the A1, A2 and AA cabins on 11 & 12 deck.

Otherwise - excellent summary - very fair description of the pros and cons of each.

Peter

Hmmm, better tell the missus to bare, sorry bear that in mind.

I was seriously advised in another thread that many Cunard ladies like to bare this in mind in B4-1 sheltered balconies.:D

I guess this is a strong argument in favour of these balconies...

I don't think this applies to the A3 cabins on 8 deck - but does to the A1, A2 and AA cabins on 11 & 12 deck.

Otherwise - excellent summary - very fair description of the pros and cons of each.

Peter

Are you recommending A-3 on deck 8? Thanks. Sooo confusing!

Sheltered Balcony cabins are larger than all the plexi glass balcony cabins!

The Cunard website is no help - it lists:

A1-A3: 248 sg ft

B1-B6: 269 sq ft

However, the A3 and B5/6 cabins are identical.........

......does anyone know - are the cabins larger, or the balconies - sheltered vs open?

Peter

The Cunard website is no help - it lists:

A1-A3: 248 sg ft

B1-B6: 269 sq ft

However, the A3 and B5/6 cabins are identical.........

......does anyone know - are the cabins larger, or the balconies - sheltered vs open?

Peter

We had a sheltered balcony in 4090 that appeared to be twice the depth of our friends' Q6 glass balcony. Obviously, their suite was enormous, but the A grade staterooms appeared to be the same size as the B grade.

IMGP1361.JPG

Hope this information helps,

Margot.

We had a sheltered balcony in 4090 that appeared to be twice the depth of our friends' Q6 glass balcony. Margot.

Well now you tell me. And did I get an invitation to this gigantic balcony? I did not. No, poor old moi was squashed up in a tiny little glass one, barely able to move. Not even room to swing the staff.

Sir Martin:mad:

Well now you tell me. And did I get an invitation to this gigantic balcony? I did not. No, poor old moi was squashed up in a tiny little glass one, barely able to move. Not even room to swing the staff.

Sir Martin:mad:

You can hardly blame me when you spent all your time in the Commodore Club ... and I don't remember receiving an invitation to view your tiny little glass one. Oh, are we still talking balconies? :eek:

You can hardly blame me when you spent all your time in the Commodore Club ... and I don't remember receiving an invitation to view your tiny little glass one. Oh, are we still talking balconies? :eek:

Cat food over screen and keyboard. Staff angry. Good job you're upside down at the other end of the world.

Goodbye, got some explaining to do.

Sir Martin

Aha! So its the balcony that is bigger - not the stateroom - that makes sense since the staterooms are modular.....

Peter

Yes Peter, we loved our balcony and spent a lot of time out there. Very comfortable and very private. There was only one occasion when I had to duck and run inside! :D

MoonNyl, that was a great picture of cabin 4090. Do you have anymore cabin pictures. I am cruising w/ friends on the March 10 QM in a sheltered balcony. Can't wait!!!
We loved it and here are a few more ...

IMGP1352.JPGIMGP1353.JPGIMGP1350.JPG

Regards,

Margot

We are sailing in about 2 weeks and we are in a B3 cat. How does that compare to the others?
Stateroom 4090 is a B3 category. I chose it because it was amidships and on a lower deck, because my friend told me she gets sea sick just looking at the water.;)

All the B and A staterooms appear to be identical and I think it's only the balconies that are different, but I could be wrong.:)

Copied from the Cunard site:

Deluxe Balcony Staterooms (A1 - A3)

248 sq. ft.*

Premium Balcony Staterooms (B1 - B6)

269 sq. ft.*

I hope this helps.

Margot.

I've sailed in an A2 on Deck 11 and a B5-6 on Deck 8...Both cabins were identical in space...the only difference I noted was in one closet with the configuration of the pole. In the A3 is went across the closet making access easier. In the B cabin it went front to back and was a pull out...a bit more awkward and didn't allow e to stuff things in as easily!!:rolleyes:

Spent so little time on the balcony that the size mattered not to us, nor did the obstruction.

Cheers, penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

2008...THE AFFAIR" GOES TRANSATLANTIC

The space and configuration of the cabins themselves are the same for both categories, A (and B5-6, which are virtually A category obstructed cabins) and B1-4.

The main differences, except the sheltered balconies, are:

The B1-4 balconies are larger (wider), even if sheltered.

And the wall facing the balcony is entirely from glass in A category (and B5-6) cabins, while there is just a door, even if wide, in the B1-4 cabins.

This last feature allows for more brightness in A and B5-6 categories, further enhanced by the lack of steel railing at the balcony.

Archived