what do we shop for?

VaBeachCruiser

I agree. There are no "deals" in Cayman on jewelry, perfumes, watches, or liquor like there are on islands like St. Thomas or St. Martin.

The best thing to buy on Cayman is the Tortuga Rum Cake! We've been buying it for years and our family at home loves when we bring it back!

I agree. There are no "deals" in Cayman on jewelry, perfumes, watches, or liquor like there are on islands like St. Thomas or St. Martin.

The best thing to buy on Cayman is the Tortuga Rum Cake! We've been buying it for years and our family at home loves when we bring it back!

I agree. We got great deals on bags and all in East Carb. My DD started collecting license plates at all the island. If the island is known for something she also picks up that like the hook bracelet in St. Thomas.

Since you are going to Stingray City she might want to pick up a stone craved stingray. We bought on of those a couple years ago when we went on the stingray tour.

Since there are no real bargains in GC, I picked out a souvenir to remind me of our wonderful experience with the stingrays. I found a pretty silver stingray charm on a chain. I am always amazed when I wear it how many people comment on it and share their own stingray adventure stories. The rum cakes in GC were no better priced than on our ship, but the store in GC had more variety of flavors.

I try to get a Christmas ornament from any stops we have on a cruise, and one from the ship too. I like getting them all out for the tree and being reminded of those vacation spots while it's a bit nippy outside. These aren't expensive, but can be nice, and don't take up space in the carry home luggage.

Also keep in mind if you buy liquor in some of the duty free stores, there is a one hour cut off. Since they have to take it to the ship for you, they will not sell it after the cut off time. This even included the little sample bottles that are with some of the rum cakes.

Also the line for the tender to get back on the ship will be long so watch your time carefully.

Dave

Also keep in mind if you buy liquor in some of the duty free stores, there is a one hour cut off. Since they have to take it to the ship for you, they will not sell it after the cut off time. This even included the little sample bottles that are with some of the rum cakes.

Also the line for the tender to get back on the ship will be long so watch your time carefully.

Dave

That long tender line is one of the reasons we rarely get off in the Cayman Islands. That and the high prices.

That long tender line is one of the reasons we rarely get off in the Cayman Islands. That and the high prices.

I am so sorry that you don't get off the boat! You are missing out on the very BEST beaches and snorkeling. Hope you will reconsider.

Dave

Last year we did not complete our excursion in time to buy liquor before the cutoff, so I'm wondering if I can purchase it before our tour. Any idea when the liquor stores near the dock open?

Last year we did not complete our excursion in time to buy liquor before the cutoff, so I'm wondering if I can purchase it before our tour. Any idea when the liquor stores near the dock open?

We arrived at 9am and they were open then.

Dave

I am so sorry that you don't get off the boat! You are missing out on the very BEST beaches and snorkeling. Hope you will reconsider.

We have visited 7 Mile Beach, swam with the stingrays, and done the City tour with a stop in Hell so that's why we just stay on the boat now. Its a great opportunity for us to have a relaxing day at the pool area almost by ourselves.

Perhaps the rum cakes on shore are more fresh than the ones on the ship? Does anyone know the current prices on the rum cakes? Is it safe/wise to use a credit card to buy them on shore? If you pay cash, will US$ be accepted at a reasonable exchange?

You can pay for pretty much anything at any shop in Cayman in US$ cash at an exchange rate of US$1.25 = CI$1.00. That is exactly the same rate you would get by exchanging money at a bank.

Some retailers in central George Town price their goods in US$. If that is the case, you are actually better off paying in US$.

Any merchant in Cayman that accepts credit cards performs the conversion to US$ in-house and then processes the charge in US$. Merchants cannot post a charge in CI$ to any card other than a locally issued debit (not credit) card.

Rum Cakes may be fresher if bought on the island, depending upon where you buy them. Most shops in George Town do quite a business in Rum cakes and regularly replenish their stocks. Some of the duty free liquor stores also sell Rum Cakes and will arrange for them to be delivered to your ship - especially if you buy several or a whole case. That can save you from needing to carry them around all day.

Perhaps the rum cakes on shore are more fresh than the ones on the ship? Does anyone know the current prices on the rum cakes? Is it safe/wise to use a credit card to buy them on shore? If you pay cash, will US$ be accepted at a reasonable exchange?

I believe I paid $4.95 for the small ones or $27.95 for the pack of six.

Dave

we went to Tortuga Rum Factory. We got good deal on rum. Yes get it an hour before return time. You pay and they get it to the ship for you..no lugging bottles around. It will show up in your room the night before departure. Mom enjoy rum, daughter sample the rum cakes!

Archived