Advice for mom w/infant (Florence & Nice) Rome,Naples

I'm traveling on NCL's Gem in early May and was hoping somone might offer me some advice re: traveling with an infant. Am I crazy? I will have grandma there. I chose to do a private tour for Rome and Amalfi coast, as I wanted her to have a car seat and the availibility of the car to rest, nurse, etc.

However it's very exspensive, so for Florence and Nice and Malta, I was going to try to do it "on our own". Any advice you could offer would be great, re: these ports and maybe the cruise line tour bus. I'm a little afraid of being on a rigid schedule with a grumpy toddler (20 months).

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Denise

However it's very exspensive, so for Florence and Nice and Malta, I was going to try to do it "on our own". Any advice you could offer would be great, re: these ports and maybe the cruise line tour bus. I'm a little afraid of being on a rigid schedule with a grumpy toddler (20 months).

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Denise

I think that you would be best to do a "Florence on your own" type excursion from the cruise line. 90-120 minutes on a train (with possible train change) with a toddler does not seem like fun. Other than that, enjoy your cruise and your excursions. Remember, Italian women have toddlers too!!

You may want to do somethings truly "on your own" and leave your baby with Grandma. This can be accomplished.

My stepmother wasn't interested in the 9 hour excursion from Livorno to the Cinque Terre. It was the best excursion and a wonderful experience but obviously would be boring for a toddler. So she stayed onboard with my 6 six year old and he had more fun on the ship than trapsing around the little villages- which my Dad and I still rave about.

Perhaps on this day- you might want to opt to do an excursion- assuming mother will babysit on board. Or maybe you can pick another day and another shorter excursion to do solo.

The European cruises are quite port intensive and I didn't do Athens because of the heat and remained onboard. That day my parents shopped at their leisure without me or my son. I liked having a relaxing day on the ship. YOur mother might not mind missing one port of call and this would give you a chance to really take in the sites without catering to the needs of a 20 month old.

In Naples- do Capri. Pompeii would be too much with a toddler- not good for strollers- much walking involved. Capri would be a nice, beautiful relaxing excursion for all of you.

As a pediatrician, I would just assume, if you can do 50% of what you plan when you are travelling with a 20 month old, you are way ahead of the game. Just be flexible and remember the baby needs more fluids and shade then you do but you will all feel better if you all nap at the same time. But you will defintely enjoy the experience if tyou remain flexible

Archived