NAUI or PADI

jdbmga

What are the differences between the two, besides what they stand for?

I have the chance to receive either type of certification. I'm trying to decide which facility to use.

I am taking a trial dive (discover scuba) on Sunday to see if I'll like it, with the NAUI instructor but I don't have to take the class with him if I decide to get certified. I'm a little nervous especially since I'm a nose breather.

What are the differences between the two, besides what they stand for?

I have the chance to receive either type of certification. I'm trying to decide which facility to use.

I am taking a trial dive (discover scuba) on Sunday to see if I'll like it, with the NAUI instructor but I don't have to take the class with him if I decide to get certified. I'm a little nervous especially since I'm a nose breather.

There's really not much difference in the two, both have great worldwide recognition. If you have access to both, I'd suggest "interviewing" the instructors and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either, IMHO.

There's really not much difference in the two, both have great worldwide recognition. If you have access to both, I'd suggest "interviewing" the instructors and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either, IMHO.

I agree. It isn't the certification agency that will be instructing you. It is the instructor that you have to "click" with. The agency only sets the minimum standards that you'll have to meet to become certified and IMO, they set equal standards, so they are practically interchangeable. An individual instructor might set their standards higher than the minimum, but that isn't a bad thing at all.

Doing the Discover Scuba dive is a good idea before committing to the time and expense of the Open Water certification.

Another quick question:

Am looking to get certified for an upcoming cruise and NAUI, PADI & SSI are offered in my area. Are there dive shops in the Caribbean that will rent to only one or the other certification? Thanks, much.

NAUI, PADI, SSI (and YMCA) are all recognized by everyone. If you have any of them you can rent equipment and dive everywhere. You will have no problems with any of them. I have PADI and I have friends who have NAUI and SSI, and there have been no problems diving anywhere in the world with any of them. Take your choice.

Another quick question:

Am looking to get certified for an upcoming cruise and NAUI, PADI & SSI are offered in my area. Are there dive shops in the Caribbean that will rent to only one or the other certification? Thanks, much.

As long as you have your certification card, or a temporary card, yes, dive centers in the caribbean will rent out gear. The only one I know that can look up certification online is Padi. So, just make sure you have your card.

If you are just getting certified I would be careful going out on your own and diving in unfamiliar water. May be a good idea to dive with a local dive shop and/or at least do a Discover Local Diving course.

As long as you have your certification card, or a temporary card, yes, dive centers in the caribbean will rent out gear. The only one I know that can look up certification online is Padi. So, just make sure you have your card.

If you are just getting certified I would be careful going out on your own and diving in unfamiliar water. May be a good idea to dive with a local dive shop and/or at least do a Discover Local Diving course.

I've been on a lot of the cruise 'certified scuba diver' excursions. The cruise lines have a lot of stipulations for the dive operators in order to ensure even the most novice diver can handle things. I would recommend NYHartChapp go with shore excursions booked through the cruise line.

I absolutely agree with everyone that your comfort level with the instructor is the most important factor. Take your time, look around, and choose the shop/instructor that makes you feel happy and secure.

Agencies are mostly alphabet soup... PADI, SSI, NAUI, NASE, YMCA, etc. ad nauseam (I have PADI and NASE cards).

All the certifying organizations lay out the same basic course: the object is to make you a safe diver. You will learn quickly as you keep diving, particularly from the 'old hand' divers you meet.

Divers are AWESOME and friendly people, and are usually more than willing to share their experience and diving tips and stories with you. It's also quite common for more experienced divers to help you out and watch out for you on trips.

It's also great fun to review your dives afterwards with your favorite beverage. ;)

Oh yes... don't forget your sense of humor. There are unparalleled ways to make an idiot of yourself on a dive boat, and it happens to everyone, me more often than most.

Have a great time, and welcome to the addiction!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

website

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

Archived