Not exactly cruise-related...

MamaParrotHead

Friends of mine are wanting to go to St. Martin for their honeymoon, to a resort. Possibly all-inclusive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I had told them that St. Martin was my very favorite port thus far, and they had been considering the islands anyway. So I offered to help plan and gather some research. They're a younger couple, so relatively moderate priced would be appreciated.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

What is their price budget? What time of the year will they travel?

I would not do an all-inclusive as that will be extremely limiting on an island which is "the gourmet capital of the Caribbean".

I don't think they're set in stone as to when they'd go...their wedding is 6/09. I'm sure they'd be willing to postpone their trip for a few months so the weather would be cooperative and prices would be down.

They have enough time to save for it, that I'm sure their budget is somewhat flexible, but I'd GUESS by saying that they'd want to stay under $3000 for the whole shabang.

The weather during the June 09 thru October 09 could be a real issue. It gets progressively worse thru the summer with hurricane potential from mid-August thru September. October is probably the most economical month.

Does the $3000 number include airfare? If so, what would be the itinerary? I assume they will stay 7-days? Also, what type of accomodation do they want? Hotel room? 1 BR? or more?

The cost breakdown would be:

$ Airfare

$ Accomodations

$ Rental car (plus gas and insurance)

$ Meals

$ Beach costs (lounges & umbrella)

$ Beverages

$ Shopping

she's not thrilled about waiting til October, but I told her if all else fails, she could take her chances with trip insurance and cross her fingers.

I don't know what that would include...you tell me. :) Ideally, I'd like to come up with a sample breakdown comparing All-Inclusive, resort only and a cruise for them to see what their options are.

Thanks for all your help!:)

I just looked at a Friday-Friday and Saturday-Saturday prices for flights during the same week they may be going in 2008. It came out to be about $600 per person (and that's with them having to drive to Chicago, the nearest large hub, which is about 4 hours away).

The Sonesta was AI, the Westin was just the hotel.

Thanks for all your input!

$ Airfare: $1200

$ Accomodations: $75-$120/day = $840

$ Rental car (plus gas and insurance): $160 + $30 + $50 = $240

$ Meals: $50-$100/day = $700

$ Beach costs (lounges & umbrella): $14/day = $84

$ Beverages: say $30/day = $180

$ Shopping: ???

Preliminary: $3300 plus shopping

Rental car is a MUST HAVE for St. Maarten

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent a week in St. Maarten. The prices for places like the Westin and Sonesta will be higher than what you are listing. I would also suggest skipping the all inclusive. I found food very reasonable. I would suggest looking for a package deal through a travel agent. They usually include cheaper airfare( sometimes even charter flights), often include rental cars also. We stayed at a timeshare in Simpson Bay. Good area, only 15 minutes to Phillipsburg, 20 minutes to Marigot and a half hour to Grand Case. I agree if you are staying on the island a car is a good idea.

David

Just spent a week in St. Maarten. The prices for places like the Westin and Sonesta will be higher than what you are listing. I would also suggest skipping the all inclusive. I found food very reasonable. I would suggest looking for a package deal through a travel agent. They usually include cheaper airfare( sometimes even charter flights), often include rental cars also. We stayed at a timeshare in Simpson Bay. Good area, only 15 minutes to Phillipsburg, 20 minutes to Marigot and a half hour to Grand Case. I agree if you are staying on the island a car is a good idea.

David

Archived