Istanbul taxi

I know the cost of a taxi (daytime rate) between Ataturk Airport in Istanbul into Sultanahmet (the Old City) is about 30 YTL (new Turkish Lira). That translates to about $26 US. So, the fare you quoted is right in line. Sorry, I don't know how much more it would cost if you were staying in the Taksim area (it is further). My hotel provided free transfers w/ a stay of 3+ nights. So, I did not have to communicate my destination to a taxi driver. If you had the hotel name & address written down, I would think there is a good chance that he/she would be able to get you where you need to go. Most people who work in the tourist industry have at least minimal basic skills in English. Two things to watch out for while taking a Turkish taxi. Make sure the meter is set for the right time of day. Day rate should read "gunduz" (I think that's how it's spelled). If it's not, point to the meter; & he'll get the message. The other thing is don't fall pray to a possible scam when you pay your fare. Try to use small bills (you can go to an ATM as soon as you arrive at the airport & withdraw currency in YTL). It has happened many times.....someone pays w/ a large bill; & then the driver cheats them on the change (saying they didn't give him as large a bill as they did). This used to happen more back when they had the old Turkish Lira currency (when things cost 10,000 old lira, now they've dropped all those zeros). The Turks are generally very cordial & helpful. The sales people are aggressive; try to not let it intimidate you. Be firm, say no & keep walking. But if you do stop & engage someone in conversation, you will find them interesting & interesated in you. I am completely smitten w/ this magical city. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the reply. There are four of us, and 100.00 seemed a bit much to get us to the hotel. But - it is what it is I reckon. Why are the rates different for day and night?

I'm looking forward to the trip. We're arriving in Istanbul the evening before our cruise.

I didn't realize that you were quoted $25/PP. When I quoted 30YTL, I meant for the total cab ride. Now that I think about it....4 adults w/ luggage would require a van instead of a regular car. And I have no experience w/ that many people. It's usually just 2 of us.

As for why a day rate & a different night rate. Honestly...I'm not sure. It just is. I've seen it in some other cities worldwide as well. I'm sure someone will know the real reason.

Archived