Best Cruise Line For Alaska

StarWarsGal

Can someone tell me which cruiseline is the best for Alaska. What is a resonable price to pay for a Balcony? I am on a budget, but I have heards that the view in worth the price difference. Also, when is the best time of year to go?

Thanks in advance for your help!

you can go over to the alaska boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

but you will get all different answers. you do know if you want a round-trip or a 1way? are you planning a land tour in mainland alaska?

i did sept, prices were better...but weather was worse. we knew that and went prepared. had a great cruise. in may you could have snow on the ground, some tours might not be available,but good prices. in june/july/august...ship sail full, cheap prices can be had, but are hard to find. best prices: may and sept. best weather: june, july and august.

prices vary with each cruiseline...

I will say its all gonna depend on the person and what they want/expect.

For me, the airfare to do either a southbound or northbound was gonna cost me more then a cruise.

Airfare out of seattle was more affordable so that is the way I gotta cruise.

Plus the time it takes to get from one coast to the other.. Seattle won out with all the good pluses.

Sept-is the end of the season- it could be colder and wetter then the rest of the months with July and Aug being the best of the season but also the most costliest

In addition to the above suggestions, compare ports and port times. Most cruises stop in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. You will sail a glacier. Additional port options in Alaska are Sitka and Icy Straits Point [Hunnah].

You will either sail from Vancouver, Seattle or California. If you sail from a US port you will also have a stop in Canada, usually Vancouver or Victoria.

The smoothest passage is found sailing the Inside Passage. It is also breathtakingly beautiful.

We have done both June and September sailings. We had more rain in September than June but were prepared. June of '05 it averaged in the 70's, June '06 the 60's, and in September '07 the 50's.

Have fun planning your cruise and join the ROLL CALL for your cruise. Start celebrating early.

Best is incredibly subjective.

I took a southbound on Princess and loved it. It was same if not cheaper than others and I did not find the open jaw air to be ridiculous.

I loved the anytime dining in order to maximize port time. we met a lot of people that way, too, and had the best time on the second formal night with people we had never met.

Loved having the naturalist - not sure which lines offer this. Helpful to have self-service laundry to minimize packing.

Archived