help~Formal fashion ideas/examples from BBW women--PLEASE

CharlotteCpl

I have been on 6 cruises and have seen anything from a nice dress suit to a full length red sequin dress (on my beautiful DIL) to a wedding dress!!! The girl that wore the wedding dress for formal night wore her tierra every night at dinner! She was so cute!

Your dress is beautiful and is VERY APPROPRIATE for formal night. Believe me, you will see everything.

Dress as you want - feel comfortable - do you hair the way you and your DH like it.

I have never seen anyone I met on a cruise after the cruise was over. You are family for your cruise and then that is it. Back to reality! YUCK

Just go and have a good time! ENJOY!

Love the dress and I agree on the advice about heel height. I wear dressy shoes with no heels on formal night as I don't want to worry about falling, slipping or tripping on a moving ship.

As for that dress not being "good enough" for formal night, are you kidding me?!? Compared to the formal night outfits I saw on my last cruise, you would have definitely been part of the best dressed list!

I have usually found cute shoes at my local Payless store......I would buy a couple of pairs - they are so affordable -- and walk around them for a week.....that way you don't end up having to get blisters or find out that they are not comfortable :)

What is this about?

My knit picking the Formal dress code and the dress the OP wants to wear.

The dress looks great,and is very stylish but with the current Defintion of attire for a Formal dinner, IMHO it does not follow the code to the letter. Even a prior a poster who owns a dress shop in this thread agreed with me that I am being technical,but I am not wrong.

Technically,Formal dress is a gown or Cocktail dress which is defined by standards right now (give it a month it will change) is 2" above the knee.

There is a difference in Formal dress and Cocktail dress and I am refering to the code,not the dress itself.

OP, you will look wonderfull in that dress and don't take anything I have stated to deter you from doing what you like,and what you feel comfortable in.It was never my intention to do that and I apoligize if that is what you might have thought.:o

The dress code should be changed,from Formal to "Dress up,or Fancy" just something that incorporates many styles from all walks of life and would probably help.

My knit picking the Formal dress code and the dress the OP wants to wear.

The dress looks great,and is very stylish but with the current Defintion of attire for a Formal dinner, IMHO it does not follow the code to the letter. Even a prior a poster who owns a dress shop in this thread agreed with me that I am being technical,but I am not wrong.

Technically,Formal dress is a gown or Cocktail dress which is defined by standards right now (give it a month it will change) is 2" above the knee.

There is a difference in Formal dress and Cocktail dress and I am refering to the code,not the dress itself.

OP, you will look wonderfull in that dress and don't take anything I have stated to deter you from doing what you like,and what you feel comfortable in.It was never my intention to do that and I apoligize if that is what you might have thought.:o

The dress code should be changed,from Formal to "Dress up,or Fancy" just something that incorporates many styles from all walks of life and would probably help.

Yes, that used to be the true definition of a cocktail dress, I'd say the changeover happened sometime in the 80's... sometime around then the actual material of the dress was more important than the exact length... if it is anything other than a black tie event, the length of the dress isn't as important. You can look at any of the fashionistas and see this trend. This is 2008, things have changed. Aside from that, we are talking about Carnival, not an event at the White House, or an event at Vogue. And second to that, Carnival HAS changed their dress code on the documents to pretty much what you said... so I'm not sure what your beef is, but it was obvious you were trying to start trouble and your comment came across as very mean. A cocktail dress is fine for formal night, and by TODAYS standards, that would indeed be considered a cocktail dress. If anyone hasn't seen the book Cocktails by Amy Sacco (who knows a little bit about fashion), she defines a cocktail dress as a dress you spill cocktails on :p LOL Lighten up.

As for the shoes, I think any of them except 5 are great. Maybe it's just the picture, but 5 looks like it might have clear plastic around your foot? Not only is that plastic uncomfortable, but I think it will cheapen your whole look. The dress is great, and any of the other shoes will look awsome.

I am usually a comfy around the house kind of dresser. I am by no means a fashion expert, so need ideas for hair, dress, etc. I am a 26/28W with long hair(at least middle of my back).

I want the formal night to be extra special for DH and I. I would LOVE to see some examples of what other BBW women wear for formal night. Send me your photos, even if you are shy---you can email them to me directly.

DH and I will be celebrating 10 years since we met/began dating. We have not had any photos done of us since our wedding(Sept 2001) so I want this to be special.

Thanks for all the input,:rolleyes:

Erin(charlotte_cpl_lkn@yahoo.com for the shy BBW's to send their pics)

I have found some great things at the "discount" stores, like Ross. I found a black pants, top, and long tunic jacket that I use every cruise. It was about $40. Then I bring other black, fancy tops to wear with the pants. Sorry I can't send photos.

Charlotte, that dress is absolutely gorgeous. I am 47 and a size 22. I am 5' 8" and I love sleeveless evening wear. I'd pick shoe #4. I'd wear my hair up, nothing around my neck (jewlery-you want the attention drawn to your face not the necklace), maybe a slender bracelet to match the rhinestone trim around the bodice. Matching earrings. Slender and long. The eyeshadow could go either way, dramatic (dark) or none at all.

About the shoes. If you think you'll have a hard time walking in them, it's usually because the foot slides forward making the straps a little tight. Make sure you get another size (not the actual size you normally wear), for example, when I buy strappy and/or backless shoes, I usually will get a 13N, so my toes don't hang over the front of the shoe, then I put the little gripper things (I can't think of the name of them right now, but you can get them from any shoe repair shop) in the shoe just below your toes. This gives you added grip to be able to walk in those strappy high-heeled shoes.

Again, that dress is gorgeous and please, please only wear the pashmina if you are cold. I don't have large arms so, I always try not to cover them up.

I have the same dress!.. we leave on saturday for our cruise... I had ordered shoes #7.. sent them back.. They are VERY uncomfortable.. at least for me..But I did get another pair from Zappos that I really like and are super comfy.. Best of luck and hope you enjoy your cruise :)

I would consider that dress a definate "cocktail dress". I can't imagine why one would not consider it perfect for the dress night. Wear it and enjoy your night & WEAR THE SHOES THAT ARE MOST COMFORTABLE. You will be sorry if you don't. Great shoes are not so great if you can't walk with them them on your feet!

At the time of my cruise last August, I wore a size 24 dress. Hopefully by the time I cruise again in August I'll be down to a size 16 or 18...we'll see. Anyway, here are a few pictures from formal night. I actually forgot the wrap that I bought to match the dress and had to use one of my grandmother's shawls. Hey...I made it work!

47b7d610b3127cceba394b639c2300000026109AauWbhi0c-

47b7d610b3127cceba394b2a1d5a00000025109AauWbhi0c-

47b7d610b3127cceba394b039c4300000026109AauWbhi0c-

Sorry for the delay in reply. I found the dress in a Lane Bryant catalog. For the photo, I found it on lane bryant catalog dot com. I am still looking around for shoes(budget), but found these great shoes online. I am hoping I can find something similar around here locally.

Looks like I will be doin my hair myself. Now for the next question--- updo for the hair, or down and wavy? My hair isnt very thick, but is rather long(small of my back). I dont have bangs cut. Not sure which is better suited to the occassion/dress. To updo or not updo----that is the question.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!;)

I vote for an updo. I think that "dresses up" any ensemble. You can do it yourself, just pull it up and pin it. If you wanna get fancy, put some curls in it and just do it loosely. I know you said your hair is long (I'm assuming in the back AND the front, you can just leave a little bit out in the front on the side and do a little spiral curl. Lemme try to find some pics for you.

I have a long black dress, that is my formal attire. I am a BBW. I wear mostly black for formal wear.

Being a BBW, i do not wear loud colors. And I have short hair, so hairdoos do not really matter. However, If my hair were long, i would most likely braid it, or something like that.

Archived