Royal Caribbean or Carnival

cruisefan11111

I want to take my daughter on a cruise for her 21st bday. Only choices are RC Sovereign of the Seas and Carnival Sensation, both out of Port Canaveral. Anyone have thoughts on which would be better? This is during Spring break so I excpect to be the oldest on the ship and she is looking for more restful than traditional SB party.

I've never cruised Carnival, but I took the Sovereign in September, and it was WONDERFUL!! Slight smell in the bathroom, but the food was great and the help staff terrific. Make sure you get Nadia as your matre'd (SP?) in the dining room!!

Read the reviews here and other websites - professionals and people who've taken the ships, and then make the choice.

In general, it's better to look at ships instead of lines.

That being said, RCI is usually considered in a higher class than Carnival.

THAT being said, it depends what the individual cruiser is looking for. Someone who is 21 would have different desires than someone who is 71.

But for my money, I'd pretty much take RCI unless I had one of the newer Carnival ships and it was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the RCI quote for a similar cruise.

Just be aware the cabins on the SOV are little bitty if you have a regular inside it will be 119 s.f. and the regular OV is 121 s.f. and there is no cabin safe, this is a 20 year old ship. Its a very nice older ship and we enjoyed the cruise, but expect very tiny cabins. I would get at least a OV, the window will make the cabin seem larger.

I think the inside cabins on the Sensation start at 185 s.f.

Most kids would not care about the size of the cabins though or the lack of a room safe, especially if this is her first cruise.

I did the SOV and it has pizza into the night and had a midnight buffet and Johnny Rockets and lots of pool contests like the belly flop and cannon ball for the women, which was fun to watch. I enjoyed the SOV.

As the person above suggested, just be aware both ships are smaller and older and smaller ships sometimes have a little less going on to do. If you love the pool area like I do and the shows, either would be a great choice. Lots of good deals on the SOV price wise.

PS if the weather permits, the SOV will go to Coco Cay, a private beach which might appeal to a 21 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I (we are in our 40s) like to cruise RC. We like Carnival too; nothing wrong with either. Carnival is known, however, as a "fun" ship, and they certainly are! Depends on what you are looking for...check out the actual ship, what they are offering on that specific sail. RC seems to me a tad bit more sophisticated and that is what we prefer most of the time...but sometimes you gotta just break loose!

You will have a great time either way :D

I have sailed on both Carnival (Conquest) and more recently Royal Caribbean (Voyager of the Seas) and I would choose RCL over Carnival in a heart beat. If your daughter wants a more mature crowd and relaxing vacation you can not go wrong with Royal Caribbean.

I want to take my daughter on a cruise for her 21st bday. Only choices are RC Sovereign of the Seas and Carnival Sensation, both out of Port Canaveral. Anyone have thoughts on which would be better? This is during Spring break so I excpect to be the oldest on the ship and she is looking for more restful than traditional SB party.

If she is looking for a more restful cruise, then choose Royal. She'll still be able to find a ton of goofy entertainment at the pool if she changes her mind and wants to find a "party". :)

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Ive been on both lines and prefer RCI -in fact I will not go back to Carnival. The food and activities were better on RCI but more importantly Carnival seemed to have MANY more unsupervised kids running around (and in the adult pool).

RCI also has kids but the way things are setup and organized you wouldnt know it. I know that the Explorer of the Seas has a special pool and jacuzzi section for adults only and it is truly enforced.

The Explorer also has a mini-golf course, climbing wall and ice skating rink (with an amazing ice show). The daily activities are also much better with classes in towel animal folding, knapkin folding, scrapbooking, dance lessons, trivia contests, and many,many others.

HI

Ive been on both lines and prefer RCI -in fact I will not go back to Carnival. The food and activities were better on RCI but more importantly Carnival seemed to have MANY more unsupervised kids running around (and in the adult pool).

RCI also has kids but the way things are setup and organized you wouldnt know it. I know that the Explorer of the Seas has a special pool and jacuzzi section for adults only and it is truly enforced.

The Explorer also has a mini-golf course, climbing wall and ice skating rink (with an amazing ice show). The daily activities are also much better with classes in towel animal folding, knapkin folding, scrapbooking, dance lessons, trivia contests, and many,many others.

Sovereign is a very differant class ship from Explorer of the Seas and actually in my mind better. There is no adult's only pool on Sovereign BTW.

Anytime you take a summer cruise or a cruise that falls over a holiday break from school you will find unsupervised kids-on both lines.

That is the parents' fault not the line - the crew are hesitant of saying anything to parents as they have to be VERY tactful. Too often the parents turn around and abuse the crew. I have seen it happen with my own eyes.

It is sad that many adults feel babysitting the children is part of the crew's duties. It is also foolish of them-they are endangering their children by not supervising them.

I can't understand why a parent who would never allow their child to cross a busy highway alone-sees no danger in allowing their child to have the run of a cruiseship.

One thing to think about if this cruise is for her 21st birthday. If she wants to drink on the ship, then she will need to be 21 the day she boards the ship as most cruiselines consider you to be your age on day of sailing your age for the entire cruise. Example, if her birthday is the day you board the ship, then she's 21 for the entire cruise. But if her birthday is the 2nd day of the cruise, then she'll be considered 20 for the entire cruise.

I'd book the preferred itinerary, or price.

I'm one of those that believes a cruise is what you make it, not what the commercials or popular stereotypes say. if you want a party scene, you can find it. If you want some quiet and solitude, you can find it. Ships are very large.

You will have a great time on either ship.

I'd book the preferred itinerary, or price.

I'm one of those that believes a cruise is what you make it, not what the commercials or popular stereotypes say. if you want a party scene, you can find it. If you want some quiet and solitude, you can find it. Ships are very large.

You will have a great time on either ship.

Same itteneray-except Sovereign goes to Cococ Cay instead of Freeport. I would much rather do the private island then Freeport.

If the OP really wants to go Carnival-she should look at Celebration out of Jacksonville-at least she can take the 5 day and get Key West instead of Freeport.

As far as price-it varies by week-one week Carnival is the cheapest where as the next week RCI Sovereign may be the better price.

Archived