iphone and cruising....

happy cruzin

Someone posted a warning on bringing your iphone. I cant say I know its true, but they claimed that the way this particular phone worked, even when it was turned off it collected messages or something and they got a huge bill with it turned off.

Dont know where the original thread is on the subject, just remember reading it and wondering about what they said.

Here is one of the posts, not sure if its true or not.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623666&highlight=iphone

I don't remember seeing anything about the iphone on here, but I have read where people are having enormus bills on land because the phone is constantly seeking a signal or something along those lines that reg cell phones do not do. My advice, turn it off.

I don't remember seeing anything about the iphone on here, but I have read where people are having enormus bills on land because the phone is constantly seeking a signal or something along those lines that reg cell phones do not do. My advice, turn it off.

Several threads Iv seen here say you cant bring it even if it is turned off.

The iPhone regularly updates e-mail, even while it's off, so that all the messages will be available when the user turns it on.

Like I said I just read them, dont know if its true that you can wind up with a large bill even with the iphone turned off. I did a search and came up with the one thread above, others like it.

I don't know specifically about the iphone but I can tell you I ended up with unexpected charges when I took my Blackberry on my last cruise. I thought it was turned off when I stuck it in the room safe, but apparently it was still polling for email or something because I ended up with about $35 in GPRS roaming charges (2.2 MB) on a 4 day cruise. I know next time. Will make sure the antenna is turned off -- will probably take the SIM out of the phone to make sure no surprises. (I was actually embarassed at the charges because I thought I was pretty phone savvy but obviously not as much as I thought.)

If no one has the answer here, you might try the Howard Forums (HoFo) Apple iphone forum at http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115. Although I don't hang out in the iphone forum, I do frequent several other forums on HoFo and have to say I've learned an awful lot about cell phones there.

Thanks for posting that link. Just read it and the article it linked to. I believe it is true -- as I said above, I don't frequent the iphone forum on HoFo but have heard inklings of similar things to what was posted that lead me to believe it is most likely true. Now that I read it, I may have even heard of that particular incident on the AT&T forums.

(Okay, now you've learned one of my dark secrets. Besides Cruise Critic, I spend a lot of time on the Howard Forums, the mobile phone forums.)

Several threads Iv seen here say you cant bring it even if it is turned off.

Like I said I just read them, dont know if its true that you can wind up with a large bill even with the iphone turned off. I did a search and came up with the one thread above, others like it.

Opps, I knew it did something reg cell phones do not do.

New advice, call apple and see what you need to do to it to stop it working when you don't want it to since simply turning it off doesn't seem to be the right thing.

Someone posted a warning on bringing your iphone. I cant say I know its true, but they claimed that the way this particular phone worked, even when it was turned off it collected messages or something and they got a huge bill with it turned off.

Dont know where the original thread is on the subject, just remember reading it and wondering about what they said.

The iPhone will periodically check for e-mail even though the phone is switched off. This link will explain how to avoid incurring a huge bill when you roam internationally with your iPhone:

http://ipod.about.com/od/internationaliphone/qt/iph_data_roam.htm

Glad to see that my information was out of date and you can avoid the extra charges. See I learned something new to add to my store of knowledge, lol. I have a tracfone, but read other posts about cell phones periodically. Glad to see someone had the right info.

I have an obsessive need to stay in touch with work and my friends (yes, even when I'm cruising). I've had a T-Mobile Sidekick and currently have a Motorola Q (through Verizon) and had/have data plans on both.

My phone is on whenever I think we might have service. I never make calls, just use my internet plan and check my email. I've done this at sea, in St. Maarten, in St. Thomas (multiple times), in Puerto Rico, in Nassau, and in Mexico and I've NEVER incurred extra charges for having my PDAs syncing while out of the country.

I don't know how AT&T does it (though I hope I wouldn't have a problem because my next phone will be an iPhone), but through T-Mobile and Verizon, I've never had a problem with charges racking up from my phone syncing out of the States.

yes you can still make and receive calls

EDGE/GRPS basically is what is constantly searching for a connection to receive data

Ok....let me see if I have this straight....

If I turn off the data roaming and add the world traveller international plan - like I always do - then I can make a receive calls if necessary at the same 2.49 just like everyone else? The phone will be just like a regular cell phone once I disable the data roaming??

All of the other features - alarm clock, camera, etc will still work...right:confused: :confused:

I don't know how AT&T does it (though I hope I wouldn't have a problem because my next phone will be an iPhone), but through T-Mobile and Verizon, I've never had a problem with charges racking up from my phone syncing out of the States.
This is not an AT&T issue. It is an iPhone issue which can be avoided with proper configuraiton of the iPhone. FWIW, you will have the same problem once iPhones are available from T-Mobile. Verizon iPhones may well not work overseas depending on whether Verizon has them manufactured as one of their world phones or not. Verizon and Sprint's native CDMA network technology does not work throughout most of the world. Verizon world phones have GSM capabilities piggybacked on their CDMA phones. I think Verizon currently offers 4 models with these capabilities.

I have my AT&T phone on all the time, travel internationallly often, and have never encountered unexpected charges. FWIW, I do not have, nor do I want an iPhone at this point in time.

This is not an AT&T issue. It is an iPhone issue which can be avoided with proper configuraiton of the iPhone. FWIW, you will have the same problem once iPhones are available from T-Mobile. Verizon iPhones may well not work overseas depending on whether Verizon has them manufactured as one of their world phones or not. Verizon and Sprint's native CDMA network technology does not work throughout most of the world. Verizon world phones have GSM capabilities piggybacked on their CDMA phones. I think Verizon currently offers 4 models with these capabilities.

I have my AT&T phone on all the time, travel internationallly often, and have never encountered unexpected charges. FWIW, I do not have, nor do I want an iPhone at this point in time.

You are correct.... AT&T is truly just the carrier. ALL support is Apple managed.

We travel often too - and lately at least one trip has been a cruise. So we have had to deal with the "international roaming" issues. But this iphone changes things again - because I do NOT want any data charges. I will pay the international charges for any calls that are made or received and that is bad enough. But I do not want to pay for it to look for messages and emails too!!

Archived