Need Canada Shore Excursion advice With Kids

I have read many posts on this board, and got some great advice on the Holland America board. We were told to book our "must" excursions far in advance, and now that they are actually listed on the website, I thought I would ask for some advice:

I am traveling with 70yr. Grandma and 2 boys 6 and 10. Maasdam Mid August 2008.

This is what we saw--any feedback appreciated. Doing it on our own is also an option, but I didn't see too much posted that would work for the kids.

1. Bar Harbor--Hike too strenuous for Grandma? or National park outing? A nice HA poster recommended a small boat tour, but seasick little one couldn't take it.

2. Halifax--Amphibious tour or horse drawn trolley?

3. Sydney

4. PEI--Harbor Hippo? Saw a post about visiting the beach as a good choice?

5. Quebec City--need advice here--boys love biking, with 4 hour bike tour departing at 12:15 to the falls, would we have time in the morning to see the old city and fortress, or is that too much?

Thanks for the advice.

I can help you with Quebec City. The bike tour sounds great, I've never been on the bike path that runs to the falls but I know people who have and they love it - from the dock it should be fairly flat, I think, but not sure of the exact route so can't say for sure.

As for seeing the Old City in the morning - you're docked there!

The area right beside the dock is great for exploring - lots of shops and art galleries, and some nice restaurants as well. According to the cruise ship schedule on the Port of Québec's website : http://www.portquebec.ca/en/05/05_1_1.shtml , you'll be docked at berth 22, the best dock, with a perfect view of the City and the Château Frontenac. I actually found a picture on the website of the Maasdam docked there a couple of years ago, along with the Amsterdam (in berth 21):

2006%2001.jpg

If it's a rainy day, you're opposite the Musée de la Civilisation, one of my favourite museums.

The Citadel is on the cliff, to the left in the photo above, so a bit of a ways from the dock, but still very doable. Also, there's a funicular that transports people from Lower Town to Upper Town, so you don't have to do the stairs (or go up the winding road right in front of your dock).

And don't forget that Québec City is celebrating the 400th Anniversary of its foundation this year - so check out the website for info: http://monquebec2008.sympatico.msn.ca/MonQuebec2008/?module=home&id=1

I agree re Quebec... it is one of my favorite places and we go tehre often.. Be sure to take the kids to the Citadelle (they love forts, right?). The Ancient Canadian has a great fixed price menu... but I could not tell (or missed) if you have overnight there.. this is a city I have visited several times and still haven't seen it all in detail.

In Halifax the Ducks tour is great for kids... good and fun history and of course a truck that goes in the water is giong to be a hit but no seasick worries.

Sydney the fortress of Louisbourg is wonderfully educational... this is a port without a whole lot to do nearby even though the town is nice. The day trip to Baddeck is nice and the all to brief Cabot Trail but it's just "riding"...

In Bar Harbor how about the trolley to Acadia National Park.. The lobster boat Lulu is great fun but if seasickness is a real concern not sure you woudl want it.. Do you have preventative meds? Its a fun tour.. catching your lunch! :)

I second the suggestion for the Fortress of Louisbourg tour during your Sydney stop. My boys loved going there when they were young. Not only is it great fun, it is also educational for kids. It is a great family outing and I have been there several times. There is a fair amount of walking involved but it is easy walking so if your mother has no mobility issues, this should be no problem.

You will be taken to a visitor centre and then board a shuttle bus out to the fortress. Even if it is a warm day I would advise taking a sweater or jacket along as the fortress sits out on an arm of land into the sea and can be cool, especially if it is foggy. I forget the name of it, but a few years ago we ate in a great "period" restaurant on site.

Further to my post regarding the Fortress of Louisbourg, you can go to www.pc.gc.ca which is the Parks Canada website. Click on "historic sites" and then "list of historic sites" Scroll down to "Fortress of Louisbourg"

You will find some more info on the site.

Just the ride itself on the Harbour Hippo would probabaly be a neat experience for the boys, or a ride on the Double decker bus. There are no beaches in Charlottetown itself and I don't see a beach break offered through the cruise line and I don't see much offered that would be of interest to boys that age. This past summer there was a "Sandland" near the dock which had giant sand scupltures which they might enjoy if they do it again this year.

Here are some sites with more info of what to do in Charlottetown http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/cruise-ships/ or http://www.historiccharlottetownseap...m/cruiseships/

I visit PEI every summer. If you could take a shore excursion to a north shore beach the kids would love it. The beaches are beautiful, clean, and not crowded. If you stay in Charlottetown you could visit the Founders Museum, have a lobster for lunch, have Cows ice cream, and ride on a double decker bus. PEI is a spectacular island.

I visit PEI every summer. If you could take a shore excursion to a north shore beach the kids would love it. The beaches are beautiful, clean, and not crowded. If you stay in Charlottetown you could visit the Founders Museum, have a lobster for lunch, have Cows ice cream, and ride on a double decker bus. PEI is a spectacular island.

Re the Cows ice cream, which no trip to PEI is complete without------there is a small Cows ice cream stand in Halifax -----on the waterfront behind the Historic Properties. Be prepared to stand in line!!!

Archived