St Martin/St Thomas Review

woodmill100

Have not seen one of these so thought I'd make a start!

St Martin

Met up with SMX tours. Met at 9 am at the dock and taken with 6 others to a taxi van to be shown the Island. One couple were to see the butterfly farm and the other 6 of us were to do the Island and Beach tours. Unfortunately, we didn't really enjoy this tour. We sat in the van and yes, we were taken to 3 photograph/view points and one lovely beach at the airport (which I think was a stop for us to buy a drink at his friend's bar more than a beach stop) but our guide merely pointed out schools, churches and power stations! There was no real background information with the exception of Hurricane Louise. We were dropped at the beach and told he'd be back in 3.5 hours (after being in van for 2). We asked about shopping and were told one hour at the end. We said we'd rather go shopping now to which he replied he could take us into town now but we'd need to find our own way back to ship :eek: Anyway, we agreed to this and paid our $30 each - we left a little unhappy!

We went shopping and hubby bought me a diamond ring which I adore. We ate lunch in a great restaurant overlooking the beach and then took the last watertaxi back to ship. Second part of the day made up for the disapopointing first.

St Thomas

Given yesterday, we were a little concerned about today. We met with SunnyListon Tours and had a fantactic time. We were once again met at the dock at 9 am (please don't be late as he leaves dead on 9 am) I really can't recommend this guy enough. Full of energy, explained everything and took us to some gorgeous places on the Island. We were dropped again at the beach but only for 1.5 hours this time. We had plenty of shopping time and met some lovely people on his tour.

In summary, if a frend was to ask me honestly what my thoughts were, I'd suggest the following;

Get a watertaxi in St Martin to the beach - have a lovely long lunch, spend time at the beach and do some shopping. Then, next day so the full island tour of St Thomas - there just isn't really anything to see in St Martin. By doing it this way, it means that you have your shopping overnight and the next day in St Thomas you can do any returns (I had to as there was a hair caught under my diamond). The shops in St Martin are the same as St Thomas but you don't get the hardsell in St Martin that you do in St Thomas with staff on the Street asking you to come in at every shop.

Hope this may help any readers.

Have not seen one of these so thought I'd make a start!

St Martin

Met up with SMX tours. Met at 9 am at the dock and taken with 6 others to a taxi van to be shown the Island. One couple were to see the butterfly farm and the other 6 of us were to do the Island and Beach tours. Unfortunately, we didn't really enjoy this tour. We sat in the van and yes, we were taken to 3 photograph/view points and one lovely beach at the airport (which I think was a stop for us to buy a drink at his friend's bar more than a beach stop) but our guide merely pointed out schools, churches and power stations! There was no real background information with the exception of Hurricane Louise. We were dropped at the beach and told he'd be back in 3.5 hours (after being in van for 2). We asked about shopping and were told one hour at the end. We said we'd rather go shopping now to which he replied he could take us into town now but we'd need to find our own way back to ship :eek: Anyway, we agreed to this and paid our $30 each - we left a little unhappy!

We went shopping and hubby bought me a diamond ring which I adore. We ate lunch in a great restaurant overlooking the beach and then took the last watertaxi back to ship. Second part of the day made up for the disapopointing first.

St Thomas

Given yesterday, we were a little concerned about today. We met with SunnyListon Tours and had a fantactic time. We were once again met at the dock at 9 am (please don't be late as he leaves dead on 9 am) I really can't recommend this guy enough. Full of energy, explained everything and took us to some gorgeous places on the Island. We were dropped again at the beach but only for 1.5 hours this time. We had plenty of shopping time and met some lovely people on his tour.

In summary, if a frend was to ask me honestly what my thoughts were, I'd suggest the following;

Get a watertaxi in St Martin to the beach - have a lovely long lunch, spend time at the beach and do some shopping. Then, next day so the full island tour of St Thomas - there just isn't really anything to see in St Martin. By doing it this way, it means that you have your shopping overnight and the next day in St Thomas you can do any returns (I had to as there was a hair caught under my diamond). The shops in St Martin are the same as St Thomas but you don't get the hardsell in St Martin that you do in St Thomas with staff on the Street asking you to come in at every shop.

Hope this may help any readers.

Thanks for posting this review of the ports. Much appreciated.

If you don't mind my asking, did Sunny take you the famous Banana Daquiri place at the top of the mountain? We have him booked for this coming Tuesday. :D

Thanks in advance

Hi

Sorry for the delay in reponding. Yes, he did and the view is wonderful. You can look right down on Megan's bay which is gorgeous and of course, taste the daquiri! You can ask for a non alcoholic one and also one made from strawberry if that is your preference.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi

Sorry for the delay in reponding. Yes, he did and the view is wonderful. You can look right down on Megan's bay which is gorgeous and of course, taste the daquiri! You can ask for a non alcoholic one and also one made from strawberry if that is your preference.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived