Question- Making arrangements for Meet & Mingle

makai 7

We are cruising on the Rotterdam on March 3 and have a great roll call going.

I volunteered to set up the meet & mingle for our group.

When I did this on Princess, all I did was provide who we were and how many people, and it was set up (in a bar with potato chips).

On the two Noordam cruises I have been on, the Meet & Mingles were in the Crow's nest, one with cookies/coffee, the other with champagne & hot snacks.

The event coordinator has sent me a form to fill out, and asked who I would like from the crew to attend...

Could someone who has set one up on another HAL ship provide some guidance for filling out the form and what to request?

Thanks for your help!

Beth

In doing mine for the 2-27 Noordam, I did not request anyone

when I contacted HAL. However, I did state the 10:30 am time slot

for 2-28 in the Crow's Nest, both of which was accomodated.

She wrote me back that a Cruise Director or Hotel Mgr would attend.

If I were in your shoes, I would prefer the CD who could provide

needed info for your group.

Hope this helps.

BTW, w/whom at HAL are you contacting?

When I called HAL, they directed me to "Onboard Event Services" for the Rotterdam.

So am am working with Tawhiti, the "Grid Coordinator, Event Coordinator, ms Rotterdam"

Who did you contact at HAL?

I suspect - not that I have given it some thought - they prob

HAL prob has one gal for 1 or 2 ships as there are alot of requests

I am in contact w/ a Hawley for the Noordam.

What have you decided re ship personnel & how many are in your group??

In doing mine for the 2-27 Noordam, I did not request anyone

when I contacted HAL. However, I did state the 10:30 am time slot

for 2-28 in the Crow's Nest, both of which was accomodated.

She wrote me back that a Cruise Director or Hotel Mgr would attend.

If I were in your shoes, I would prefer the CD who could provide

needed info for your group.

Hope this helps.

BTW, w/whom at HAL are you contacting?

We had the (HAL) Hotel Manager attend our last meet and greet. He did an outstanding job. Just about any drink you could want (including champagne) and hot and cold appetizers. It was wonderful. He then invited our members to other "special" invitational-only receptions and tours. It certainly was a benefit! Of course each ship is different. And each ship staff member approaches this differently. I would hope for chips and dip at the minimum, and the "works" at the best.

The form I just received to request a "meet and greet" seemed to be a form to request business meetings with spaces to request overhead projectors etc.. It also had a space at the end to include a credit card number. Is the credit card number only required if you want to rent equipment or do they charge for the coffee and cookies?

That is the same generic form I received.

I guess I will give the specific information based on past experience and see what happens.

Since we are going 'round the horn' it would be nice to have the CD or someone from the navigation crew attend to answer those questions.

Thank you for the tips.

The form I just received to request a "meet and greet" seemed to be a form to request business meetings with spaces to request overhead projectors etc.. It also had a space at the end to include a credit card number. Is the credit card number only required if you want to rent equipment or do they charge for the coffee and cookies?

The confirmation letter you receive back from the coordinator reads as if you're setting up a meeting on board. Most of the sections are N/A. :) You won't need to provide a credit card. Your confirmation will show a cost of N/A. It says they'll provide coffee, tea, water & cookies. I was pleasantly surprised last year that they also provided cocktails for us. If you're the organizer, the meeting request will be associated with your booking number and you're considered to be the main contact for the meeting. I've never had to fill out a form (this is my 2nd year/sailing coordinating a meet & greet) but I think they're used to CC groups asking for this on the Oosterdam. I just tell the coordinator which sailing and an approximate head count. She knows what to do from there. I typically request the hotel manager. Also had the beverage manager come by last year. They can't guarantee if any officers can come by for the meeting.

If you'd like, I already have my confirmation letter for this upcoming cruise. I'd be happy to email it to you so you can see the information on it to help fill out your form. It says no crew requested but her email to me also does say she will invite the hotel manager and any other officers who may be able to attend.

Thank you so much for the information, Sale Away. It has been a big help. I would like to take you up on your kind offer to email the confirmation letter but I am hesitant to put my email address on the internet. I hope you understand.

Sale Away...how many people do you have in your group? Our Roll Call (March 9-Westerdam) is getting off to a slow start but so far, those of us who have responded are excited to meet. :) We're just worried that if the group doesn't grow, HAL won't be interested in getting involved.

Also, for those of you who noted that drinks (other than coffee and tea) were included...was anyone charged? And how did you manage to work this out? :rolleyes:

Thanks, in advance, for any responses...

I'm arranging the Meet & Greet for our Roll Call on Oosterdam, 2/23/08 sailing. I sent my form in yesterday, and today heard back from:

Jocelyn Larson

Coordinator, Onboard Event Services

ms Oosterdam

Her email is jlarson@hollandamerica.com

The form I filled out was a generic form for business meetings. However, it arrived as a Word .doc file, so I changed it to provide relevant information -- including my cell phone #, so I can be reached after I've left home.

I did request something beyond cookies, such as a cheese platter with veggies and fruit, for any low-carbers or diabetics in our group. No response to that request yet.

I wonder if the provision of hot & cold appetizers, and/or alcohol, has to do with the time of day of the Meet & Greet? Not sure I'd want champagne at 10:30 am (well, maybe in a mimosa... ).

Hope this is helpful to other CC'ers on O'dam...

Bon Voyage!

Sale Away...how many people do you have in your group? Our Roll Call (March 9-Westerdam) is getting off to a slow start but so far, those of us who have responded are excited to meet. :) We're just worried that if the group doesn't grow, HAL won't be interested in getting involved.

Also, for those of you who noted that drinks (other than coffee and tea) were included...was anyone charged? And how did you manage to work this out? :rolleyes:

Thanks, in advance, for any responses...

This is my 3rd sailing at the same time of year (first week in April). That's always a small CC contingent on the Oosterdam. I've promised 10 to show up. That's typically their minimum for a gathering. That was more or less where we wound up last year in numbers although more promised to show up. HAL seems very supportive of the Cruise Critics group. If you have at least somewhere close to 10 members attending, I think you'll be fine. You can always opt to do something casual that doesn't involve HAL putting it on for you if you're uncomfortable about your numbers.

No one was charged for the cocktails we got last year. I think we were just lucky they decided to have those for us but it was my second year sailing with that particular hotel manager, who unfortunately, is no longer on the Oosterdam. I didn't request it. They were just nice enough to provide it.

My suggestion would be to go introduce yourself to both the beverage manager (who'll coordinate food and drinks for the meeting) and the hotel manager (who if you're lucky will attend your meeting) on the day you board. Their offices should be just off of the purser's desk. Never hurts.

Anne - your meet & greet is set up at 10:30? Mine is at 11am. I'd actually been told by someone else last year that 11 was the hour they normally set aside for the CC group in the Oak Room on the Oosterdam.

OceanLadi set up our meet and greet on the Jan. 5th Oosterdam cruise with "Brenna at HAL". It was at 2PM on Sunday in the Piano Bar, which turned out to not be a great time for many (I think we were "assigned" that time). There were a number of things scheduled for that time - I skipped a wine tasting for it. I think we ended up with about a dozen people. There was coffee, tea, ice water, cookies and a steward brought in some hors d'ouvres. The CD stopped by and had the wave banner brought in for us to sign (our wave had been rained out).

My suggestion would be to go introduce yourself to both the beverage manager (who'll coordinate food and drinks for the meeting) and the hotel manager (who if you're lucky will attend your meeting) on the day you board. Their offices should be just off of the purser's desk. Never hurts.

Great advice. I already have both their names.

Anne - your meet & greet is set up at 10:30? Mine is at 11am. I'd actually been told by someone else last year that 11 was the hour they normally set aside for the CC group in the Oak Room on the Oosterdam.
Right you are -- received confirmation today -- Oak room, 11am.

What about holding a M&G at sailaway in the Crow's Nest? Has anyone ever arranged that through HAL? :confused:

Haven't done it on HAL; have attempted such meetings on other cruises. It's really not a good time.

• People are tired from traveling, boarding.
  • People new to the ship (or cruising) are overwhelmed and disoriented with their surroundings.
  • People want to get unpacked.
  • People want to participate in the ship's sailway activites.
  • The officers are not available.

On Oosterdam (and other?) sailings out of San Diego, there is also the tradition of the Cruise Critic Banner Wave at sailaway.

Your M&G will get higher and more relaxed, lingering, pleasurable participation if you schedule it on your first at-sea day, if possible. Your ship's coordinator in the Onboard Events Services Department (877-885-4259) can let you know the traditional time for a M&G for your itinerary.

We did a M&G in the equivalent of the Crows Nest an hour before the life boat drill on Celebrity last fall. Worked out fine! We had about 20 people, we each bought our own drink, and chatted for an hour. The ship provided cookies for us.

In our case on the upcoming Westerdam cruise, HMC is our first day "at sea" :D and we have several in our cc group who are also part of another group on board. Complicates things.

We did a M&G in the equivalent of the Crows Nest an hour before the life boat drill on Celebrity last fall. Worked out fine! We had about 20 people, we each bought our own drink, and chatted for an hour. The ship provided cookies for us.

In our case on the upcoming Westerdam cruise, HMC is our first day "at sea" :D and we have several in our cc group who are also part of another group on board. Complicates things.

We could always stick with the original plan of having it on the 1st sea day. ;)

Archived