7 day cruise - do I really need all these clothes??

kiraryker

So far I have 5 pr of shoes (1 flip flops, 2 dress, 1 sandals, 1 walking) not including the ones I'll be wearing - about 9 tops - 2 shorts - 2 capris - 2 dress pants - 2 dresses - 2 dress shirts - 1 pr jeans (what I'll be wearing) 2 swim suits - 2 cover ups

Does this seem way to much?? My suit case just looks too full and I haven't had my hubby pack yet.

I find that what makes my packing seem too bulky is the weight of the fabrics, not necessarily the number of items. Your packing does not seem over the top to me and even a lot less than many women will dare leave home with. But, if you want to cut back, go ahead and take fewer items wearing a few things twice. No one will notice or care...if they do they need a more interest in their life.

I have to say I once noticed that a woman wore the same dress every single night on an NCL cruise. If it had been a little black dress I'd never have paid attention, but it was a huge red muu muu and she was very tall. It became a sort of game for us to find her every night ;)

We cut back by wearing the same clothes for disembarkation/embarkation, the same clothes the first and last nights. We both wear pants at dinner 2-3 times, pairing with different tops/shirts. I cut back on bras and undies by hand washing, we send his out to the laundry. I know it doesn't save that much space, but we both prefer not to travel home with week-old smelly underwear in our suitcase :o !

Packing light has nothing to do with dressing well, it's all in the choices you take along.

I forgot to ask if this is your first cruise or not. If it is, welcome to the world of cruise packing, it's not like packing for any other vacation!

Yup 1st cruise and 1st vacation without the kidletts in

18 yrs!!!!

So I'm not used to just packing for myself - our last vacation we had to unload some items at the ticket counter because it was over the weight limit - thank heaven my sisters family was also along and we shoved it in their suitcases.

So this seems like alot for me because with my kids stuff I usually don't pack that much for myself.

Packing sounds great but I might include an extra pair of shorts and a light weight jacket or sweater for chillier evenings. Personally I always squeeze a fleece outfit in too because I find after a day in the sun some times I feel chilled.:cool:

No it doesn't sound like too much at all. It seems that on cruises, you change clothes a lot.

The only things missing from your list that I would add are:

A shawl and/or cardigan to wear at dinner in case you get chilly.

A rain jacket in case you go on an excursion on a rainy day.

Gym clothes/sneakers in case you want to work out at the gym or take an exercise class.

I find that what makes my packing seem too b

We cut back by wearing the same clothes for disembarkation/embarkation, the same clothes the first and last nights. We both wear pants at dinner 2-3 times, pairing with different tops/shirts. I cut back on bras and undies by hand washing, we send his out to the laundry. I know it doesn't save that much space, but we both prefer not to travel home with week-old smelly underwear in our suitcase :o !

Packing light has nothing to do with dressing well, it's all in the choices you take along.

Just make sure the same clothes fit after 7+ days of eating lots. I read where one lady put her luggage out for disembarking and the clothes she saved to wear off didn't fit:eek: Pants wouldn't button, blouse had to cover. So remember that when you set your bags out the night before. I always make sure I have comfy clothes for the car ride home (approx.4 hrs.);) I also buy those rain ponchos that are small in a pouch, around $1, in case of rain. They are very flat and if you use them you can throw them out or refold.

I've come to realize that I can never take enough clothes with me. I think that I've narrowed it down. On sea days, I can wear the same clothes all day long, but when I do ports, I have my clothes that I wear while in port all day and then I have to have something to change into when I am back on the ship.

I think that I have to repack and think about my sea/port days. Two sets of clothes for port days and one set of clothes for sea days.

I'm a heavy packer so it doesn't look like too much to me.:) As long as I have my sherpa a.k.a. DH to carry my bags, I always add the "just in case" things. Shoes are my downfall and I think I have to have a coverup for each swinsuit. Then I do my best to wear everything.;) I will add that we have never had to fly so weight is not an issue.

Jane's additions were good suggestions.

On sea days, I wear shorts to breakfast, then am in a bathing suit until dinner! I find I can wear those shorts several times (its not like they're dirty!) With casual clothes, you can get by with alot less than you think! Things can be re-worn! I dont' rewear eveing attire, tho, so I pack something for every night!!

I find flip-flops are fine--even in ports in the Caribbean. That's about all I bring for days, and tons of heels for evening. I have YET to bring sneakers!

We just recently returned from our first cruise and four days before we left I felt like I had packed to much and asked for opions on this wonderful board and after following many people's advice I was able to eliminate one suitcase totally!

First night tip: The most casual night. I wore black capris which I wore at least 2 more times with different tops.

Took only one pair dress pants and two cocktail dresses. We are not into the formal nights, but the dresses were nice for dinners out to celebrate our Anniversary and DH birthday.

We had some laundry sent out about half way through our cruise and that worked out perfect! I will actually pack less next time.

I had two bikini's and one cover up.

Shoes totaled: 5 pairs...not to bad:D

Good luck with your packing and enjoy your cruise! We are offically hooked and are booking our cruise for next year already!!

Another thing to remember: Try to pick a couple of neutrals and one main color, then you can mix and match everything and thus cut down on how many actual pieces you bring.

In my case, I'm bringing a lot of black, and various shades of khaki/white, and then mostly blue and green for colors. A little bit of denim too. My shoes are white and black, and will go with most outfits. I'm also planning to wear shorts on at least a couple of days as a coverup for my swimsuit, leaving my suit top exposed AS a top ... no need for an extra shirt over it. I'm thinking of that for port days when I'm on a dune buggy and when I'm kayaking. I'm also thinking of using a sundress on its second day as a bathing suit coverup. Things can do double-duty that way.

Archived